• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I recently purchased a Sig P220 from Bud's. It came with the night sights and Short Reset Trigger. They were briefly at $755 and I pounced, but are now back to $824. The Sig designation is 220R-45-BSS-SRT

The Finish:

Sigshoot201213.jpg

The Nitron finish shows everything. If your finger brushes past the slide, it will look like you dipped your hand in Smuckers before grabbing the pistol. After a few shots, the slide will show signs of gunpowder residue. This picture is literally seconds after I cleaned it after coming back from shooting today and it still looks like I didn't wipe it down good. Unless you wear surgical gloves, expect some smudging on the finish. This doesn't bother me as this is a work gun, but if it bothers you just be aware. The finish seems to hold up well, though. I holstered and drew 100 times before I put the first magazine in it to build up some muscle memory before shooting, and there is no sign of holster wear yet.

The sights:

These are SigLight Night Sights.

Sigshoot201211.jpg

Its tough to get a good photo of sight alignment, but the front blade is thin and allows plenty of daylight on either side. It seemed to be much more open than Glock factory night sights. I started out the day shooting a bit low, and figured out that you want to see just a bit of the top of the slide, which will line all three dots up. Its very fast and intuitive once you get used to it, I'm still just weaning myself from my Glock. I haven't had a chance to do night fire yet, but standing in my basement in the dark the dots all glow nicely.

The trigger

The first pull is heavy at 10lb advertised. I don't have a scale, but it feels about right. While heavy, its smooth and has ZERO stacking. Pull until it breaks, then sparks fly and a .45 sized flying ash tray ruins someone's day. Follow up shots in single action pull are like a superb 1911 or single action revolver. The Short Reset Trigger lives up to its name, take a tiny bit of pressure off, it barely eases forward, and you hear the positive click of the reset. The SA is advertised at 4.4 lbs, but it feels lighter due to the very short range of motion and lack of stacking. While in my mind, nothing beats a good SAO trigger, the Sig is top notch in the DA/SA arena, better than Beretta, HK, and CZ.

Reliability

I cleaned the pistol and lubed it up using a few drops of CLP on the barrel and Tetra gun grease on the slide. Then I ran 225 rounds through it, with zero failures of any kind. I used the two factory 8 round magazines that came with the gun. In order, I started with 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle, 50 rounds of Sellier and Bellot, 50 rounds of Armscor (all 230 gr ball). On a side note, while dirty the Phillipines produced Armscor is extremely accurate. This was my last box as I rotated ammo, but it was cheap ammo that's been hiding in my safe for about 10 years.

The good old days:

Sigshoot20126.jpg

Then it was on to the high dollar hollow points. 25 Golden Sabers, 25 Hydrashocks, and 25 SXTs finished off the day. All 230 gr hollowpoints. Again, everything ran through it fine.

Accuracy

The gun is better than me, hands down. Shooting free handed I cannot take advantage of how accurate this gun is, but even with only 200 rounds down range I shoot it better than my Glock with thousands of rounds down range. The ONLY gun I believe I shoot better is my Springfield 1911, and I've got a decade behind that trigger.

All groups are 5 rounds from 12 yards, two handed, standing. First shot DA, then SA, fired as quickly as I could get a good sight picture. I believe the gun is capable of much better groups than I am, but in the woods I don't have a rest and my table rusted away, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

SXTs ("E" is the PAO):

Sigshoot20123.jpg

Golden Sabers (Center of the sticker is POA):

Sigshoot20124.jpg

I was very happy with that.

Hydrashocks (center of red rectangle is POA)

Sigshoot20125.jpg

A good group, other than the flyer where I milked the grip. This is no reflection on Hydrashocks, they group great out of my 1911. I was just getting tired and sloppy and shot faster than my skills allow and jerked one.

Perceived Recoil

This is so subjective I hesitate to include it. The recoil is mostly barrel flip straight up, its very comfortable on the hand, and very controllable. I'd say slightly more flip than a 5" 1911, but not by much.

Social Use

Reloading is the one thing I can do faster and better with the Glock. The single stacks and lack of much funnel slow me down a touch. Of course, there's a difference of familiarity, too. The gun would benefit from a bit of a magazine well funnel, though. 8 and 10 round mags are standard, and while that probably sounds low in the days of 15-16 round duty weapons, it suits me fine.

The .45 is plenty of bullet, and with quality ammunition does as much damage as you can reasonably expect a handgun to do. You do your part, it will do its.

Its easier to conceal and carry than a full sized 1911, and I did that for years. Its just as easy to carry as the Glock, and feels a bit thinner. I only have a pancake holster right now, but will be getting an IWB soon, and am considering experimenting with a vertical shoulder holster.

I'll probably pretty it up a bit with rosewood grips at some point, just to be a bit more social. Other than that and some 10 round magazines, its going to be left factory and is just fine for it.

Final Thoughts

All in all, once I get another 300 rounds or so through it and build more muscle memory to decock before holstering, this is becoming my duty weapon, replacing the Glock 22. I'm very happy with it, and it feels nice to carry an all metal .45 instead of a plastic .40 again. The Sig will likely remain my duty weapon until a change of policy constricts me out of it OR expands to allow SAO.

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My brother has the exact same gun as yours. Although he doesn't shoot it that much anymore. He even forgot how the decorking level work. Oh well, are you a LEO? Duty weapon?

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Thanks for the review, I have been thinking about a P220 but have been wondering how the new pistols have been since they had some quality control issues a while back.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the review, I have been thinking about a P220 but have been wondering how the new pistols have been since they had some quality control issues a while back.

Other than the Mosquito, I haven't heard on any consistent issues, and most of the occasional issues have been the new design polymers. The P220/226 etc are proven designs in all metal construction, and while any process will occasionally produce a bad sample you'd be in an extreme minority to have an issue with one. If you do, lifetime warranty.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Other than the Mosquito, I haven't heard on any consistent issues, and most of the occasional issues have been the new design polymers. The P220/226 etc are proven designs in all metal construction, and while any process will occasionally produce a bad sample you'd be in an extreme minority to have an issue with one. If you do, lifetime warranty.

If you do some searching, there have been A LOT of issues with the P220's in that past few years. Indiana CO's even had some bad problems with their P220's. They've kind of gotten a bad rap in the past few years.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you do some searching, there have been A LOT of issues with the P220's in that past few years. Indiana CO's even had some bad problems with their P220's. They've kind of gotten a bad rap in the past few years.

Were those, by any chance, stainless with an internal extractor? I believe the majority of reported issues with the p220 were internal extractor models, and typically with the P220ST.

Sigs do require a bit more attention by the owner as far as proper lubrication and spring servicing than Glocks, as well. Perhaps that's part of the issue. They really want a liberal amount of grease on the slide rails, not a few drops of whatever oil the armory has sitting around.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I only have a pancake holster right now, but will be getting an IWB soon, and am considering experimenting with a vertical shoulder holster.

I'll probably pretty it up a bit with rosewood grips at some point, just to be a bit more social. Other than that and some 10 round magazines, its going to be left factory and is just fine for it.

I've had my P220 Elite for about 4 years now and it is probably the most accurate and reliable pistol that I own. The Elite model comes with the NS option, the SRT trigger, Rosewood grips and has been performance tuned by the Sig Sauer Custom Shop. I shoot S&B FMJ 230 gr ammo for practice and I've found that the 230 gr Gold Dots impact almost the same as the S&B, but the groups are much smaller with the Gold Dots.
    220elite.jpg

I carried mine in the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB until this year. The IWB is fine but I wanted to try the Miami Classic rig too. I went with the horizontal carry model and it is unbelievably comfortable while seated and standing. I got the tie downs for the holster and mag carrier but I hardly ever use them. If I was in a situation where I was going to be very active or might have to run, I would use the tie downs. I can access the weapon easily while driving and wearing a seat belt. I almost forget I have it on and it conceals well with just a light jacket or heavy flannel shirt. Driving with the IWB carried at 4 o-clock caused the pistol to leave scuff marks on my heated, leather seats. I don't have that problem now with the shoulder rig.
    220holster.jpg

Good luck with your new duty weapon. You'll become more attached to it as time goes by. I never regretted buying mine.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Were those, by any chance, stainless with an internal extractor? I believe the majority of reported issues with the p220 were internal extractor models, and typically with the P220ST.

Sigs do require a bit more attention by the owner as far as proper lubrication and spring servicing than Glocks, as well. Perhaps that's part of the issue. They really want a liberal amount of grease on the slide rails, not a few drops of whatever oil the armory has sitting around.

Yes, they were the stainless ones. I'm not sure about the extractor's on them though, but I did talk to a CO about them not too long ago and he said that they do have to be very well maintained and since they have switched out the stainless models, they have not had any problems.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've had my P220 Elite for about 4 years now and it is probably the most accurate and reliable pistol that I own.

I strongly considered the Elite, but the Dark comes with adjustable sights that I didn't want on a duty weapon and the Stainless was about $300 more than what I paid for mine. I couldn't justify the extra expense, and wasn't sure I wanted the extended beavertail that it comes with.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I like my 1911 better, too, but single action only isn't allowed for duty carry for me.

Ah, I see. My P220 has gone well over 2k rdns w/o failure of any kind. It eats and digests everything Ive put down the pipe including some JHP ammo that has choked my Kimber, (Springfield 1911 and P220 ate it just fine) The only thing I have trouble with is the slide release posistion, after spending some time shooting my 1911s I have a tendency to rest my thumb on top of it and it wont lock the slide after the last rnd. That pretty easliy fixed with practice. As to the finish Mine is two-tone but my other Sig is Nitron and its held up pretty well. I havent shot it as much as the P220 but it shows no signs of holster wear at all. Nitron finish I will say is not my favorite, It does look smudgy and if you dont keep it clean it looks like crap. But if its your duty gun I wouldt worry about it to much. Its a great gun and i dont feel uneasy at all with mine at my side.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Followup:

I took my family shooting yesterday and I put another 50 rounds through the Sig. I'm trying to run a box through it every 2 weeks to stay in practice, along with mandatory range days.

Even with the wind and a floppy target, I was pretty happy with yesterday's results and figured I'd share.

All shots pictured were from 21' using American Eagle 230gr FMJs.

Shots between my fingers are a holster drill, draw and fire a single shot DA as if a sudden encounter, them move off line and reevaluate. This was the end of the day, so I was down to 3 bullets and did no followup shots. Each hole is one draw/fire. (Side note, you can see my wife's work with her Glock 22 in the picture as well)

2013-02-22164112_zps9e364b6b.jpg

8 rounds slow fire, this was my first string of the day. Note 4 in one ragged hole, was happy with that.

2013-02-22163753_zps0e24d9e2.jpg

8 rounds speed drill, fired as soon as I could find the front sight on target again. I was shooting fast enough to be right at the edge of my ability and strung them vertically a bit, each shot went a little further down, but the lack of left/right spread speaks to the natural pointability of the Sig for me.

2013-02-22163500_zpsd1cd707a.jpg

First 4 of that string, point of aim is the heart:

2013-02-22163540_zps695b0083.jpg

Second 4:

2013-02-22163549_zpsa8f1f4ce.jpg

For comparison, here's a speed drill I did with the wife's Glock 22, with the neck being the point of aim:

2013-02-22164010_zps91903614.jpg

Obviously more spread out, and I have a lot more rounds with the Glock than the Sig. The Glock's 40 recoil is slightly faster to recover from than the Sig's .45, but it simply doesn't point as naturally for me and the longer trigger and trigger reset opens up my groups.

Simply put, I shoot the Sig better and with less effort than I ever did with any the 3 Glock 22s I've been issued over the years.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Nice write-up, i'm longing to get back into a P220 but will wait until I find one with the E2 grips they feel great on a 220 but i've only ever seen one for sale so far and that was in MI.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Update:

After 6 months with the gun, I'm still very happy with it. Current round count is right at 500 factory rounds and 50 reloads (yeah, I need to start cranking out .45s again) I've had no malfunctions with factory ammo and one malfunction with a reload. The reload was over 10 years old and fired fine the second time I ran it through the gun, so I have no doubts it was the primer in the round. It had a deep firing pin strike on it the first time, it just didn't go off.

I am considering swapping the sights, though. After shooting the GP100 with Novak sights I realize I can probably be faster with this gun if I switch away from 3 dot sights to something with more contrast on the front sight. I'm considering something like this:

#338P Sig SlantPro Straight Eight Night Sight Set

as I don't want to give up the night sight capability.

Top Bottom