• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

USAMP1980

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Superior Tactical Solutions - M15 Semi-Automatic Sniper System in 6.5 Grendel
    -Initial impression

190518_10150132508379618_849054617_6087889_3536748_n.jpg

Back-story:
    I first went to Superior Tactical Solutions on the recommendation of both military and law enforcement "Snipers", as well as civilian enthusiast. Being a working man, I couldn't quite make up my mind if I wanted a LWRC M6A3, a FN SCAR, a Remington/Bushmaster ACR, or a good old-fashion accurate bolt-action rifle. Buying two or three was not in the budget.
    I knew if I went with a bolt-action rifle, a commercial off-the-shelf variant would not due. To me it had to be worth my wild, something exciting, something very accurate. I confided in Brad (STS) my interest when he purposed and stated "It sounds like you want an assault rifle, but you care about accuracy.... I can build you one!" Brad explained to me science and research behind the 6.5 Grendel, and how it was the perfect combination of my military love of the AR... as well as my interest in tactical shooting. "How accurate?" I asked. "A solid 1/2 MOA" Brad replied.
    I knew he had the reputation, and so did 6.5 Grendel. Having a good impression of his abilities, I paid 60% down and gave him the green light.

Technical Specs:
    VLTOR upper receiver
    Smith & Wesson M&P lower
    Broughton barrel - chambered by STS in .264 LBC
    Suppressed Armament Systems flash suppressor
    Les Baer bolt
    Daniel Defense bolt-carrier group
    TROY "free float" quad-rail
    PRI Gas Buster charging handle
    MAGPUL PRS Stock
    MAGPUL MIAD "pistol" grip
    Harris Bipod
    Leupold Mark 4 LR/T M1 6.5-20x50 illuminated MIL-DOT scope

*You may be asking? Is this weapon .264 LBC or 6.5 Grendel. It is chambered in .264 LBC however I primary fire 6.5 Grendel out of it. Since ammo availability for either cartridge is less than plentiful, this allows me to fire either round safely through the weapon. Research revealed that chambering in .264 LBC instead of 6.5 Grendel allows me the option of firing hotter 6.5 hand-loads at safer pressures.

Zeroing:
    197601_10150132509939618_849054617_6087901_4304359_n.jpg

Firing the Hornady 123 grain A-MAX, the weapon quickly zeroed in at 25 yards. The scope was mounted by STS and felt properly mounted and secure. At no point was I suspicious that the scope was floating on me. I zeroed at 25 yards first in order to save precious rounds, as zeroing a freshly mounted scope at longer ranges can be ammo and time consuming. Once I had a satisfactory 25 yard zero. I then re-zeroed at 100 yards.
    The time I'd been waiting for was here! Time to see what it could do at 100 yards. Brad at Superior Tactical Solutions had promised me 1/2 MOA accuracy, which satisfied my needs and expectations... however many manufactures make such a claim, very few deliver. As we all know, delivering sub-MOA accuracy out of semi-automatic weapon is much easier said than done. Attention to detail must be paid every single step along the way.

Once I knew the 100 yard zero was established, I was excited to see her performance. After all, no one wants to pay custom rifle prices without custom rifle results. My personal criteria for accuracy was a 3-shot group, as this was what I'd done time and time again in the military. I took aim at the upper-left target. It had been some time since I had fired a weapon with this light of a trigger. Measured at STS, the trigger broke consistently at 3 lbs. The looks and feel of an AR had triggered a mental association / muscle memory of Uncle Sam's trigger pulls... I had fired the weapon before I meant to, throwing one high. "OK... let me try this again". Clearly identifying which round was a boo-boo, I then proceeded to fire off a 3-shot group. I knew I had done well, but it was time to go check the target. Hoping for 1/2 MOA accuracy, I measured the target to find "0.56".
    [0.132 x 2 = .264]
    0.56 - .264 = .296
    I had fired just short of near perfect 1/4 MOA accuracy.
    197601_10150132509954618_849054617_6087904_1388962_n.jpg

But could it be repeated? Unfortunately, my dedicated camera man failed to show. I apologize that the pictures are limited. I assure you I fired just shy of 1/4 MOA accuracy approximately a dozen times. There is no doubt in my mind that in more capable hands, this is the most accurate SASS I have personally ever seen.

I decided to take a different approach on my review. The intent of this review is not the scientific accuracy of this rifle. After all, if I wanted to do that I would clamp the rifle down on heavy oak bench. I wanted to know how it would perform for me, under conditions I would fire it.
    In my opinion, it is one thing to show up to a range rested and quite comfortable... it's something entirely different for our soldiers and Marines abroad. So, I decided to intentionally increase my discomfort by donning my PASGT and ESS goggles.
    About 50 push-ups and some double-shoulder-arm-taps later... with a tired neck and foggy goggles, I decide to try my hand again. After all, I am a soldier and this review is from my point-of-view.
    198115_10150132510984618_849054617_6087917_4948021_n.jpg

As the day grew and muscles quivered, and 77 rounds later the groups began to spread. Gust of 20 mph winds made it difficult. I attempted to time my shots between the gusts, however the wind often triumphed. It felt like every time I carefully broke the trigger the gust hit me without warning. All things considered, the weapon continued to deliver despite being dirty. Considering the dirty weapon, hours of continuous firing, shaky muscles, and strong winds at full value... I continued to be impressed by the accuracy and reliability of this weapon.

197601_10150132509959618_849054617_6087905_2570784_n.jpg

To clarify, I am not saying this weapon will fire 1/4 MOA every time. I am however saying that it is capable of doing so. A majority of my 3-4 shot groups were between 1/4 and 1/2 MOA. Hours later, as I fatigued and gust of wind moved into the area, my shot groups ranged from 1/2 to 1 MOA. My intentions with wearing the gear and intentionally fatiguing myself were to show that: there is no doubt in my mind that this is a sub-MOA S.A.S.S. in competent hands, even under less than ideal conditions.
    Time was also a factor. During the afternoon covered in this review, I had to familiarize myself with my new rifle, zero the scope, and get some shot groups. Again, the wind was often not cooperative. On more than one occasion, the wind ripped the thin target paper from the staples and away she went... clearly subtracting from my ability to take photos of the shot groups. I do intend on adding to this review, with more photos and shot-group tables... when I have calmer wind and a dedicated spotter.

Internet research tells me that a Colt AR-15 typically produces about 5.5 pounds of recoil, and an AR-10 firing 7.62 NATO typically produces 15.5 - 18.5 pounds of recoil. Research also tells us that a full-length AR in 6.5 Grendel produces 8 to 8.5 pounds of recoil. But what about felt and perceived recoil? If I was a betting man, and I had to chose between the two, I would say that the Grendel did produce more recoil however it was barely noticible. Firing the 6.5 Grendel cartridge seemed as comfortable to me as firing the 5.56 NATO in Iraq. The unloaded rifle weighed in at 13.6 lbs with the Harris Bipod attached, 12.5 without. Heavier than a GI M-16, but noticable lighter than an AR-10 SASS.

For those unfamiliar with the 6.5 Grendel cartridge, I included a pic (right) of 6.5 Grendel compared to 5.56 NATO (left)
    199177_10150132577699618_849054617_6088486_3556723_n.jpg

So far, I have experienced a 30% reduction in magazine capacity vs 5.56mm... although this may prove better with other manufacturers’' magazines. This fact does not bother me as this is indeed a tactical rifle. When it comes to tactical shooting, i'll take 14 rounds of 6.5 Grendel over 20 rounds of 5.56 NATO any day. (My personal opinion)
    The only issue I ran into was that I had selected too light of a hammer spring. Being a semi-auto, I made a conscious effort to keep the trigger to the rear during the 3-pulse recoil. Despite my best efforts, as I fatigued my finger let up on the trigger enough to double-tap... on two occasions. When I get an opportunity, I'm going to have STS install a slightly stronger hammer spring.

Conclusion:
    My intial impression is that this rifle was worth every penny. Every step of the way my experience with Brad and Superior Tactical Solutions was very pleasant. I have never dealt with a company with such great customer service. I was always treated like an VIP and never felt like I was just another customer. My close proximity to STS allowed me to visit on several occasions. Brad never failed to ask me if I needed something to drink and always cared about my needs and wishes for this rifle. It is my personal recommendation that anyone looking for a SASS AR to inquire with STS before making a decision... I'm glad I did.

-We are experiencing our fair share of inclimate weather here in SW Indiana. When I get the time, and if weather cooperates... I hope to get a more scientific review of the accuracy. So far, it is averaging 1/3 MOA groups, of course depending on my performance. If I can enlist the help of some buddies, I hope to get shot-group tables and pics of shot groups. Next time I also hope to have time to take it out to 200 yards... further when I find a landowner who will let me. I hope to make this an on-going, running review.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom