• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    I own both actually and prefer the LC9s. I only bought the Shield because the LC9 no "s" was a disappointment to me. I rarly sell a gun so I have all three now but would entertain trades I suppose. Just not actively. Right now the LC9 is on bathroom duty. I have a magnet to hold a gun within reach while I am enthroned in case someone breaks in while I am busy signing papers. Want pix of it on the magnet? ;)

I guess I'm the only one willing to say yes....

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    And I also do not like (or use) the thumb safety. If they made one without it, I would sell what I have and buy the ones without a thumb safety.

Other than that, PERFECTION!

And this, I'm afraid, is what kills the LC9S as a contender for me. That safety, IMHO, MUST be trained for, not simply left off. None of my carry guns will have thumb safeties.

I SO want to like the LC9S - love the way it feels in my hand, perfect fit - but, until, if, and when, Ruger produces one without a safety, a Shield will have to do...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    And this, I'm afraid, is what kills the LC9S as a contender for me. That safety, IMHO, MUST be trained for, not simply left off. None of my carry guns will have thumb safeties.

I SO want to like the LC9S - love the way it feels in my hand, perfect fit - but, until, if, and when, Ruger produces one without a safety, a Shield will have to do...

I find the hostility against safeties sort of funny. When I was growing up ALL pistols had safeties, it was something I just used or not as needed. Why the youg are so hung up on the pistol not having a safety is beyond me. Usnless the gun isn't in good shape, they don't turn on without YOU moving the lever. I don't see the 1911 crowd wishing there was no safety on their pistols. The carry them but then they are usually trained to move the safety as you draw. It must be way too much to ask that all who carry actually train. :rolleyes:

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte

For those that own it, is the safety removable?

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I find the hostility against safeties sort of funny. When I was growing up ALL pistols had safeties, it was something I just used or not as needed. Why the youg are so hung up on the pistol not having a safety is beyond me. Usnless the gun isn't in good shape, they don't turn on without YOU moving the lever. I don't see the 1911 crowd wishing there was no safety on their pistols. The carry them but then they are usually trained to move the safety as you draw. It must be way too much to ask that all who carry actually train. :rolleyes:

I actually cut my teeth on Beretta 92s and 3rd Gen Smiths, with few 1911's and CZ's thrown in. PLUS my wheelguns.

Fact of the matter is, with just having indoctrinated wifey over the last couple of years into handguns AT ALL, manual safeties that can be forgotten when the adrenaline dump happens add a possible stumbling point of operation.

I can't recall reading or hearing about anyone who forgot how to pull the trigger when their moment came. I have heard about those who forgot the safety.

YMMV. Just was stating why I won't have one with. I'd love an LC9S otherwise, and almost bought one for myself. I'm going to maintain commonality of operation with all my guns, though, so, when wifey, who will only train minimally with me (carpal tunnel, extreme allergies, and whatall else), grabs my gun, there's no thought of "okay, now this one's different than mine...".

She wants (almost) revolver-like simplicity in hers. I tend to agree.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I like revolver the best myself. I don't need 20 rounds to stop the sort of things I may need to stop. Leave the safety off if it is such a bother. I tend to do this myself. I use it primarily at the range for safety. It won't self engage anymore than a gun shoots itself. I don't care that much though if I were asked, I prefer to have a safety than one without one. For example, Glocks seemingly lead the handgun world in AD's. They also lack a safety other than the trigger. It is also good to have one when you have children around since you can engage it and the jid can't just pull the trigger to do mayhem.

In any case, if you don't like them that is fine. Your wife just needed a bit more training is all but then I don't have one of them either. :)

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I am liking the safety, but as already covered it depends on the user. I use the safety to holster and un holster my gun in the morning and at nite. I like to use the safety when I am handling the gun in these instances. I am starting to really like this gun, it carries so easily and it fits my hand well. Here is a pic:
    lc9.jpg

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    How is the trigger compared to the LCP? The only reason I got rid of my LCP was because of the damn long trigger pull. I don't want to make that mistake again.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The LC9s has an INCREDIBLE trigger. I HATED the trigger on the LC9 and on the LCP.

I am now carrying the LC9s. Best carry gun on the market bar none.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    The more rounds I put thru it the better I like it. It is deadly accurate and has eaten everything I have fed it. It is a keeper. Trigger is amazing.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I keep coming back to my LCP after trying other carry options, and the trigger pull kept me from getting excited about the LC9. This is good news, would like to step up to a slim 9mm and ditch the 380.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I find the hostility against safeties sort of funny. When I was growing up ALL pistols had safeties, it was something I just used or not as needed. Why the youg are so hung up on the pistol not having a safety is beyond me.

One more thing to go wrong, and if you change carry guns, odds are they aren't the same. I shot a 1911 for years and had to retrain to not hold the slide stop down on my Sig, but I need to have all my guns work the same (working guns, anyway). Since I have to stay proficient with the Glock, that means no safeties for me. Many thumb safeties are too small, placed in such a way you don't sweep it as part of the draw stroke, and are easy to not deactivate under stress. CZ comes to mind with their too small and too stiff safeties, as does anything that flips forward and is mounted like a pendulum (Beretta). If I'm not going to use it, its superfluous, and I'll take the version without.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    As a follow up to my previous posts, having shot a few more sub compacts, and searching continuously for a better option, the RUGER LC9S, will remain as my primary CCW.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Basic physics at work, but shooting the LC9s is in NO way painful to shoot. With a proper grip, the LC9s is just as fast shot to shot as any full size pistol.

I find it very enjoyable to shoot. In fact, that was the biggest surprise for me. After the first magazine, I had my buddy shoot the pistol because I was amazed at how soft it shot.

Top Bottom