• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is an amended review of the holster that I wrote for Amazon's site. Since I am editing this review due to boredom while in economics class, I can't take pictures of it, so I will instead post a link to pictures already online at the bottom of the review.

I purchased my Uncle Mike's ITP holster (size 16) approximately five months ago from Indy Trading Post to carry a Sig Sauer P225 single stack pistol and have worn it every day since then. The two places I am primarily are work and home. My pistol stays with me everywhere. I am not a LEO or in the military, this review is on my experience with the civilian application of the product. I walk or ride my bicycle just about everywhere I go, but that is typically the extent of activity I have in the course of my day. My clothing in the summertime (the time of this review being written) typically consists of cargo shorts with a thick leather belt and button down shirts or T-shirts in conjunction with a light windbreaker. In the winter it is sweaters/coats and other heavy garments that greatly aid in concealment.

While at the store, I tried out several other holsters including paddle holster, belt slide holsters, and other types of IWB holsters. I was attracted to the Uncle Mike's for several reasons. The first reason was the price. I am a poor college student who enjoys shooting (an expensive hobby!), and I can't really justify spending over $50 on a holster at this time. I believe I bought this item for $12 even. This price is low enough to suit even the most modest of budgets.

The second thing that attracted me to this holster was the material. The inside of the holster is soft nylon, and I don't have to worry about it marring the finish on my weapon. While on the subject of material, I will say that the clip is made of plastic and does appear rather flimsy. At first I was unsure how it would hold up over time, but so far it has worked just fine.

When I took this holster home from the store I put it on and tried some practical drawing. By practical drawing I mean I left my clothes where they would be everyday, and practiced presenting the firearm (unloaded of course!) in a shooting stance. For me, the draw was smooth and easy.

Wearing the holster: As stated earlier, I wear a heavy leather belt at all times. For the most part, this serves to reinforce the plastic clip on the waistband of my shorts. I wear the holster at the 5 o'clock position on my body, with a very slight cant forward. I do this to reduce the likelihood of printing while out in public. One feature that makes me prefer this over other holsters I've used with different guns is the extra bit of nylon designed to be between your body and your pistol (see amazon's picture). This being summer, I tend to sweat while walking and biking around. I keep an undershirt tucked in behind this nylon flap, but I like knowing that there is an extra layer of protection for my firearm from the corrosiveness of sweat. As the past two weeks have gone by, I haven't noticed any excessive shifting of the holster during my everyday activities.

I have read some complaints about this holster regarding the lack of retention. As I carry concealed and make an effort to be aware of my surroundings, I am not too worried about the notion of someone sneaking up behind me and snatching my gun from its holster (not trying to toot my own horn, just explain my reasons for not being concerned). As far as that goes, this holster is also sold with (I believe) a thumb break option. I don't care for it personally as I would prefer quick access to my firearm.

In summation, I have so far found this to be a perfectly adequate holster for my needs. While it is certainly nowhere near the best holster out there, it fits my budget and my purpose extremely well, especially considering it is carrying a heavy steel framed pistol. If you are using this for your job (LEO, military, w/e) or have a more active lifestyle, then you might want to consider something different. If you want a high value (most bang for your buck) product, then this could fit the bill.

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/inside_the_pant_holsters.html
    http://http://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-Off-Duty-Concealment-Holster/dp/B003R6LWLU

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Thanks for the review. I too have this holster and find it to be nice.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Nice honest review :yesway:

I have several of the Uncle Mike's and Blackhawk IWB holsters and I have to admit that for the price they work great. I have never had an issue with them and they are very comfortable for me. Sure they may not be the best out there, but for a budget holster they do get the job done.

LEGENw84itDARY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    i have one of these that i use as a soft case/quick IWB holster and it works great. I've had mine for almost a year for my Colt Officer 1911 and if i need a holster real quick to go do something and dont feel like putting on my Spartan Minotaur, it works perfect. It has also held up really well, it was definitely worth the 20 some bucks it cost. You do have to be a little more gently with the clip tho.

3point5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    Kokomo
    I have one I used to used for my PT24/7. It wasnt bad...but there was something that I still cant pinpoint that I didn't like.

I later purchased a crossbreed supertuck, (i know we are talking completely different price ranges) but it has been awesome. It took me months to justify the almost 100 bucks that thing cost. I love that holster, and will spend the money for another one for my next gun without thinking twice.

Im also kind of interested to try the MTAC out...

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    uncle mikes iwb holdster

i like them so much i bought on for every carry gun i own! for comfort and price you cant beat it

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    I had 2 of these, one would ride up and almost fall out. I cut the clip off and now use it as a pocket holster. The other works perfectly.

Top Bottom