• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NickJ

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    So I have decided since its 102 degrees outside, that I'd like to just relax and talk to you guys about guns :D.

I recently purchased a Walther G22. This particular firearm is an auto loading .22 long rifle. Prior to purchasing the G22, I read multiple reviews on other people's opinions. Many of the reviews said the gun is extremely time consuming to strip for cleaning purposes, and others said it is particularly picky on types of ammo. Regardless of these reviews, I decided to purshase the firearm. ( I actually bought it off another INGO user )

The G22 comes in an exceptionally nice and durable hard plasctic case. This beats the hell out of cardboard. Included was a cheap faux suppressor which, I'll admit, looks pretty cool on the gun, but does absolutely nothing. After gazing at my new rifle for a second, I went to pick it up. You all know how good it feels to open up a new gun box. The first thing I noticed was how nice the grip was. It almost felt custom made for my hand. I honestly didn't like how the forend felt in my left hand. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice forend with rubber grips on the sides for comfort. Luckily for me, this gun was loaded with picatinny rails. So, I bought a collapsible forend grip, which also made the handling of the weapon 10 times better. Another feature that I love is the extra magazine the slides in the stock of the gun. It's just a handy feature, and I wish there were 3 more. It comes with sling mounts and a sight that doubles as a handle. The sight is a bit stiff to pull up and down, so I put a bit of oil on it which helped.

I ended up buying a 2.5 x 32mm scope, due to the original sights not being THAT accurate past 25 yards. Also, I purchased a bi-pod prior to going to the range to zero in my scope. At 50 yards, it was pretty accurate.(pic posted blow) This little rifle is accurate, and has some power for a .22.

When it come to ammo, I have found that - Federal Spitfire, 31 grain hyper velocity- AND - CCI Stinger, 32 grain copper plated hollow points- are the best options for this rifle. I think the high velocity rounds have less failures to eject/feed, due to the round having more power to push the bolt back all the way each time you fire. A couple of the CCI Stingers jammed once the rifle was hot, so I just used the Spitfire rounds after that.

Last but not least.....disassembly. Reviews said disassembling the G22 was quite a task. Personally I think those people must have a brain the size of a peanut. Some reviews said to lock the bolt back, and spray gun scrubber inside...then use compressed air to blow the gunk out. THIS WILL NOT SUFFICE. These were the same people complaining about ammo failures and misfires. WELL NO ****, your gun isn't going to work properly unless it's cleaned properly. I watched a youtube video that helps partially disassemble the G22, then for further disassembly I used this website as a guideline: Speed's Tips and Tricks for Cleaning a Walther G22

Overall this is an inexpensive, reliable, and just plain FUN rifle to shoot. If you're considering an auto loading .22lr...the Walther G22 has my vote.

Just my opinion!!!:patriot:

WALTHERG22.jpg

gun.jpg

groups.jpg

(50 yards)

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/160937-walther_g22_review.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom