• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I'm curious about revolver competitions. Handguns, especially revolvers, are my favorite type of firearms and I'm curios as to what's out there strictly for revolvers. I'm totally new to any of them so if you guys wouldn't mind to go in depth, I'd appreciate it! :):

Also, feel free to touch on pistol competitions, but I'd like to mostly stick to revolvers or competitions that allow revolvers in the mix.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I shoot IDPA with a revolver 90% of the time. Either a S&W 625 JM in Enhanced Service Revolver or a S&W 66 in Stock Service Revolver. Not a lot of revolvers but I am not the only one shooting wheel guns. Atlanta Conservation Club and Wildcat Valley also shoot ICORE so look them up. Jim.

skeene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    ICORE (International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts). They usually have monthly shoots at the Atlanta Conservation Club. Think the next one is Aug 18th.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I shoot IDPA with a revolver 90% of the time. Either a S&W 625 JM in Enhanced Service Revolver or a S&W 66 in Stock Service Revolver. Not a lot of revolvers but I am not the only one shooting wheel guns. Atlanta Conservation Club and Wildcat Valley also shoot ICORE so look them up. Jim.

USPSA, IDPA, IPSC, NRA Action, Steel Challenge, NRA Bullseye. All have revolver divisions

These guys said it. Just about any revolver has a dedicated spot in these sports.
    What revolver do you have? I'm new to revolvers myself (love em!!!) and found that a 4" barrel is just about perfect for crossing over between IDPA and USPSA.

here's IDPA description and categories -- IDPA - Rules
    ** notice that they have SSR (stock service revolver) and ESR (Enhanced service revolver). If you're shooting a 6-shot 4" .38/357 without any modifications (like moonclips) you'll be fine in the SSR. Most common guns for this seem to be S&W 686 variants, GP100's, etc.
    ESR is dominated by .45 ACP moonclipped guns because they meet power factor requirements and they're fast to reload (with the short, fat .45 ACP). S&W 625/925 and variants are the most common variety.

USPSA seems to have changed their requirements lately -- so I won't chime in too much on that. Although I think you can now get away with 8-shot revolvers. AND longer revolvers. a.k.a. if you own a 6" revolver, USPSA will be a better place to shoot. BUT BRNIG THE AMMO, since you'll shoot more rounds in a course of fire in USPSA.
    USPSA Rules - United States Practical Shooting Association

ICORE, steel challenge, etc are also out there.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    These guys said it. Just about any revolver has a dedicated spot in these sports.
    What revolver do you have? I'm new to revolvers myself (love em!!!) and found that a 4" barrel is just about perfect for crossing over between IDPA and USPSA.

here's IDPA description and categories -- IDPA - Rules
    ** notice that they have SSR (stock service revolver) and ESR (Enhanced service revolver). If you're shooting a 6-shot 4" .38/357 without any modifications (like moonclips) you'll be fine in the SSR. Most common guns for this seem to be S&W 686 variants, GP100's, etc.
    ESR is dominated by .45 ACP moonclipped guns because they meet power factor requirements and they're fast to reload (with the short, fat .45 ACP). S&W 625/925 and variants are the most common variety.

USPSA seems to have changed their requirements lately -- so I won't chime in too much on that. Although I think you can now get away with 8-shot revolvers. AND longer revolvers. a.k.a. if you own a 6" revolver, USPSA will be a better place to shoot. BUT BRNIG THE AMMO, since you'll shoot more rounds in a course of fire in USPSA.
    USPSA Rules - United States Practical Shooting Association

ICORE, steel challenge, etc are also out there.
    Currently, nothing, but I want to get into it one day with either a ruger or s&w. I'm very interested!

Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    I shoot ICORE with a revolver, USPSA and IDPA with semi-auto. The advice above is all good. In my opinion, ICORE is the best place to start. The event is usually smaller and since it's focused on revolvers it's going to be more helpful to see how every one handles each stage. You can branch out to the other events later. My 2 cents.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    The most versatile revolver going is probably the 627 S&W 8 shot guns(or variants). This gun uses moonclips which are faster to do a reload with and you get all your brass back.:yesway:
    It is the best for Steel shoots and that is a great place to start competitive shooting.
    It is now the ticket for USPSA revolver division.
    Is is the gun of choice for ICORE limited division.
    Put a red dot sight on it and it still works for steel and now works in ICORE open division and USPSA open division(although not competitive there against 28 round comp guns it would still be fun).
    627 won't work for IDPA.
    Any of the K or L frame guns or the Ruger guns would work for steel but 6 shots on 5 pieces of steel will be difficult and a disadvantage if a 8 shot gun is present in that class. (It is still the Indian and not the arrow but the 8 shot lets you miss faster:laugh:)
    They would work in IDPA SSR also if the barrel is 4"
    These guns would work in ICORE Classic division as well.
    These guns would be difficult and frustrating to shoot a USPSA match with the high round count stages and 8 shot arrays.
    Loose some of your brass with these guns also. I'm pretty fast with a speedloader gun but it is much more finicky to hit the reloads all the time and I hate walking away from a pile of expensive brass after a stage.

IDPA is the home of 4" 625's great guns and fun to shoot.
    625's are pretty much dead in USPSA except for a few that refuse to switch to a 8 shot gun or can't afford another gun.
    625 is still my favorite revolver and you can still shoot it in USPSA but if a 8 shot gun is there you will be at a disavantage just like shooting steel against a 8 shot gun.
    Still see a few 625's in ICORE but they are fading away also as 2 extra shots can be handy on the stages.

Sorry I don't know much about Bulleyes or NRA action or cowboy.

Check out the different types of matches and go from there.
    Revolver is fun to shoot but if you want to get good at it, it will be a lot of work. Nothing has the satisfaction like being able to run a wheelgun at speed. At least it has been for me.

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    If you are new to revolvers and need one to get started, get a 4 inch 66 or 19 and start with 38 loads. It is good for all matches maybe not the best choice but the easiest to learn with.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    If you are new to revolvers and need one to get started, get a 4 inch 66 or 19 and start with 38 loads. It is good for all matches maybe not the best choice but the easiest to learn with.
    Oh no, I'm quite familiar with revolvers, just not the competitions that correspond with them.

Top Bottom