• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Would really like to see a S&W 29 that belonged to the Louisville Police Deptartment

"Ask and ye shall receive...."

rimg.php

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    "Ask and ye shall receive...."

rimg.php

What's the back story on these guns, 4" M29 isn't a revolver for everybody. I remember people like Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton talking about the 41 Mag being the next big thing in police guns back in the 70s and early 80s.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    What's the back story on these guns, 4" M29 isn't a revolver for everybody. I remember people like Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton talking about the 41 Mag being the next big thing in police guns back in the 70s and early 80s.

Not sure the 41 Mag ever really took off. I've heard some good things about it but...

I wonder if a lot of these were really fed 44 Special instead of 44 Mags...

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Something sexy about a wheel gun. I don't know what it is, but I have always liked them. Currently have a S&W stainless Model 29, a stainless 686 snub, and a 4" 500 Magnum. I also have a Ruger LCR in 357 and a couple of stainless Ruger Vaqueros in 45 Colt. Love taking them out and running a few rounds thru them from time to time.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Sometimes and keep in mind that I’m a newby with very very limited knowledge and experience but Revolvers are the best kept secret when it comes to firing cheaper 22 ammunition. Yeah, it might be true that I even heard Hickock45 and I think 22 Plinkster say it but it’s true.

As much as I like my Ruger Mark IV it’s much less frustrating firing that .05 cents a round Aguila ammo through one of my revolvers than my Semi Auto Mark IV. Ok so I’m a cheapie and instead of paying $400 for 5000 rounds I spent $250 for 5000 rounds of Aguila. Ok so in the meantime I decided to spend more on guns. Ah well, there are other benefits as well. I also find the Single Action Revolvers have made me a more deliberate shooter. Besides as a aging older gent I can afford to be more patient as other people come and go I just plink away long before and long after they leave the range. Heck even my GP 100 22 tends to make me a more deliberate shooter.

My GP100 22 first morphed into a Single Ten, a Single Six Convertabe, a Vaquero 357 mag, and a Bearcat. Yeah the bug has bit me. I’ve been sidetracked in that my next one is a SW Victory 22 project gun, but more than likely I’ll be looking at another Revolver next. I just got my Volquartsen Fluted Barrel the other day. More parts and the gun itself should be here next week. Did you know Christmas doesn’t fall in December this year, it’s actually next week. LOL

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Sometimes and keep in mind that I’m a newby with very very limited knowledge and experience but Revolvers are the best kept secret when it comes to firing cheaper 22 ammunition. Yeah, it might be true that I even heard Hickock45 and I think 22 Plinkster say it but it’s true.

As much as I like my Ruger Mark IV it’s much less frustrating firing that .05 cents a round Aguila ammo through one of my revolvers than my Semi Auto Mark IV. Ok so I’m a cheapie and instead of paying $400 for 5000 rounds I spent $250 for 5000 rounds of Aguila. Ok so in the meantime I decided to spend more on guns. Ah well, there are other benefits as well. I also find the Single Action Revolvers have made me a more deliberate shooter. Besides as a aging older gent I can afford to be more patient as other people come and go I just plink away long before and long after they leave the range. Heck even my GP 100 22 tends to make me a more deliberate shooter.

My GP100 22 first morphed into a Single Ten, a Single Six Convertabe, a Vaquero 357 mag, and a Bearcat. Yeah the bug has bit me. I’ve been sidetracked in that my next one is a SW Victory 22 project gun, but more than likely I’ll be looking at another Revolver next. I just got my Volquartsen Fluted Barrel the other day. More parts and the gun itself should be here next week. Did you know Christmas doesn’t fall in December this year, it’s actually next week. LOL

DDDREES, I think your point is that revolvers are generally much more forgiving of the quality of the ammunition and generally lack feeding problems? I agree with you and have several .22 and larger claiber revolvers. I generally like them better than semi-autos, save for my 1911. :)

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    DDDREES, I think your point is that revolvers are generally much more forgiving of the quality of the ammunition and generally lack feeding problems? I agree with you and have several .22 and larger claiber revolvers. I generally like them better than semi-autos, save for my 1911. :)

Yes sir and 22s have really been my saving grace. Not only does it allow me to spend more time more often at the range it’s also much easier on my older arthritic hands. Besides it’s kind of funny watching people who fire more expensive larger caliber ammo arrive long after but leave much earlier than I do. Besides I generally don’t see them the following week when I am back at the range.

I too have a few Semi Autos to include a 1911 but 22s really make it more possible for me to make it to the range more often. My Sig 226 Tacops seems to absorb more recoil than any of my other Semi Autos. It’s not as nice looking as my Dan Wesson V-Bob but somehow it feels better too my hands after I fire it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Yes sir and 22s have really been my saving grace. Not only does it allow me to spend more time more often at the range it’s also much easier on my older arthritic hands. Besides it’s kind of funny watching people who fire more expensive larger caliber ammo arrive long after but leave much earlier than I do. Besides I generally don’t see them the following week when I am back at the range.

I too have a few Semi Autos to include a 1911 but 22s really make it more possible for me to make it to the range more often. My Sig 226 Tacops seems to absorb more recoil than any of my other Semi Autos. It’s not as nice looking as my Dan Wesson V-Bob but somehow it feels better too my hands after I fire it.

Welcome back....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Louisville's TAC squad were issued these...Sort of an early version of SWAT....The folks in the high crime neighborhoods accused them of overkill and using "Dirty Harry Guns" and they could only carry .44 Specials in them thereafter.....

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Welcome back....

Thank you sir.

I just wish Photobucket hadn’t squelched my ability to post pictures. I know there are alternatives but I haven’t decided what I want to do yet. There really is some awesome SS goodness out there. I hear the same about the Blued of guns of the past. Man I really wish I had just got into this hobby prior to them killing off the real craftsmanship that used to exist.

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    When I first started carrying it was a SP101. I graduated to pistols and then decided I'm just as happy carrying a little 38 special. I guess I have gone full circle. I have a couple 357's in my nightstand. I definitely love the point and shoot practicality of a wheel gun.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Took a picture today of my Three Roger Single Action Revolvers. Single Ten, Single Six Convertable, and Bearcat. Man what a bunch of 22 SS Awesome Goodness.LOL

Seriously though very glad I discovered how well these guns work for me. Much much fun too be had at the range.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Took a picture today of my Three Roger Single Action Revolvers. Single Ten, Single Six Convertable, and Bearcat. Man what a bunch of 22 SS Awesome Goodness.LOL

Seriously though very glad I discovered how well these guns work for me. Much much fun too be had at the range.

I have three Bearcats...Two from the 1960's and one of the new ones...I love those little darlings....Possibly the best kit/camping/fishing handguns ever made...

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    I have three Bearcats...Two from the 1960's and one of the new ones...I love those little darlings....Possibly the best kit/camping/fishing handguns ever made...

Yeah, I knew you had a few and at least one shopkeeper if I remember correctly. In fact it was one of your posts that had me re-thinking whether I shouldn’t get a shopkeeper or not. I really like the aesthetics of the Shopkeeper and I had a hard time going back and forth with regards to the shopkeeper in stainless or the 4.2 in stainless. However the determining factor for me was the YouTube Video where the reviewer said that the plunger on the Shopkeeper was not long enough to fully push out the spent cartridge. It might not have been such a big deal if I didn’t have arthritis but I figured it best to go with e 4.2 barrel instead. If they fall out fine but that Aguila stuff I’ve been using can be rather sticky. Man, I still find myself wanting one of those shopkeepers though. I just don’t know that it wouldn’t be something that sits more than something that gets used.

Last edited:

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central

Hey, I got a question. Go slow and keep in mind that I’m a newby. Heck I didn’t purchase my first gun until last year.

What exactly do you find that interest you when it comes to guns of that era? Now I’ve heard the craftsmanship and finishing was better. Is that it or is there something else that you find interesting? Oh, and are these users or just safe queens.

The reason I ask is because I’m trying to determine where I want to go next with this. I have a decent number of guns at this point but no matter which hobby or passion I get involved in I always try to make the next one matter. I try to make as many as possible mean something or fill a specific gap. There maybe more than one of something if I find that particular category especially interesting. Yeah, I know setting limits might be a verboten subject when it comes to guns especially here but for me I find by setting some kind of limit it gives me the oportunity to enjoy other passions. For example my next one is my first and possibly only project gun. It’s a SW Victory where I’m going to get a The Volquartsen fluted barrel, handgrips, extractor, Tandem Cross trigger, and halo. Relatively small project for most here but it’s my project gun.

Anyway I’n Seriously thinking at least one vintage gun. One other passion I have and I have a few but I only have one where I have one vintage example. However even then this vintage example is a user for me. It’s consider relatively rare and it had a number of things that was particularly appealing to me.

So school me please. What exactly do you find so darn attractive about these vintage guns that you would rather have one of them vs a brand spanking new one.

Help me PLEASEEEEE!! LOL

Dan

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    What exactly do you find so darn attractive about these vintage guns that you would rather have one of them vs a brand spanking new one.
    I'll give this a quick response from my perspective, which might be a little skewed because I'm on the early curve of the Gen-X wave. I like the new stuff for sure, as all my Smiths but one were built in 2014+. The one I have that's older is a gorgeous Model 19 built in 1987. I suppose it's a little like cars in that it hearkens back to an era in time that brings back fond memories, and the build quality/craftsmanship of my Model 19 is truly outstanding. And WHAT a shooter it is, too. I shoot my newer S&W M66 4.25" as well as any handgun I have, except for perhaps this Model 19. For whatever reason, it's really hard for me to shoot this gun badly. Feels good in my hands. Unbelievable trigger. I got this off a member here on INGO, complete with original box and papers, and seriously doubt I'll ever let go of it in spite of some tender offers.

Edit: This is a better shot from my newer cell phone:

Ww0gaHN.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:
    Top Bottom