• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radir68

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2015
    Plainfield
    I have one of the EAA 357's with the 2" barrel. I carry it in a Galco holster. For the money its a good shooter. That's said its a little heavy at 26 oz for carry. The rubber grips seem to cling to your cover shirt and I haven't been able to find replacements. With summer coming I am going to get a J frame or an LCR. For a car/ truck/ something to have in a drawer at home its a good gun. Have fun

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not certain you'd even need +p in .38spl. The FBI carried 158gr loads at 950fps for decades, and I bet dropping down to 800ish fps is not a deal breaker, given that you gain in shoot ability and accuracy more than you'd lose in terminal ballistics.

What bullet are we talking about? Velocity needs to be matched to bullet design.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I have the Ruger LCR .357 and a J-frame .38. Both are excellent guns, that carry and shoot very well. I would have to say the LCR is the slightly better gun, due to better grips and a better sight. I went with the LCR in .357 for the added weight (17 oz instead of 13.) but I would only use .38+P for self defense.

To the OP, perhaps the LCR with the full grip would be a good one to consider? This one:
    https://www.hogueinc.com/store/prod...-groove-rubber-tamer-cushion-grip-black/18766

I'll be honest though, I'm really hoping Ruger will release a 3" LCR .357. I would jump on that in a second.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Standard FBI SWCHP

ETA: https://youtu.be/VODX8qMO-Mo

ETA2: Test of non +p buffalo bore 158gr SWCHP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvVNtKicux4

I know what the FBI load is. I'm saying velocity needs to be matched to bullet design. A full wadcutter doesn't need to run at the speeds a bonded hollowpoint does, and the speeds you need for a bonded hollowpoint would result in significant over penetration with a wadcutter.

For what I do, I want a bonded hollowpoint I'll trade the recoil for the ability to get through auto glass and still work as designed and for more reliable expansion. For robbery repellent pocket carry, I'd be fine with a wadcutter at 700fps.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Since the early eighties I have been carrying revolvers and find them as a near perfect compromise in power vs capacity. I usually carry my Ruger Police Service Six .357mag OWB, and with a good holster I forget it is there. I prefer 4" barrels, but have shot all lengths and recoil is never affected my shooting. In a hunting or self defense situation I believe you will never remember the recoil. Here is a picture of the Ruger.
    a032.jpg

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Based on feedback so far, I'm leaning 3", .357 on a mid-size frame. Will keep the group updated moving ahead.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish, other than to buy a revolver?

A 3" .357 magnum on a mid-size frame with a full grip is going to be almost as big as a Glock 19, with 1/3 the capacity and a crappy DA trigger.
    If you are truly looking for something easy to conceal with a full grip, buy a S&W Shield for a lot less money and carry it with the grip extension. Bonus points for using the same ammo as your G19.

I like revolvers, but I rarely shoot mine and never carry them. I'd rather have 9 rounds of 9mm+P in a lightweight, flat pistol with a good trigger and excellent night sights than any revolver for defensive purposes.

If you simply must have a wheelgun, I'd go with a Ruger SP-101 or GP-100. Built like tanks, and you have the option of a front night sight. Don't buy a Taurus, Rossi, EAA, etc. You won't remember what you paid for a quality, reliable handgun, but you will never forget what you paid for a piece of junk.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have a Ruger SP101 with factory Crimson Trace laser grip in .357. My G27 carries smaller and has equal fire power in caliber but 10+1 capacity so it wins. But I'll always keep the Ruger. It's a solid little stainless number.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm kinda kicking around picking up a Detective Special because reasons. It's been on my short list for a bit. DS with a Tyler grip loaded with 750 fps wadcutters...it'd be my New Jersey gun. You know, like guys who never go where bears are need a bear gun? I'm thinking I need a New Jersey gun.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A 3" .357 magnum on a mid-size frame with a full grip is going to be almost as big as a Glock 19, with 1/3 the capacity and a crappy DA trigger. I like revolvers, but I rarely shoot mine and never carry them. I'd rather have 9 rounds of 9mm+P in a lightweight, flat pistol with a good trigger and excellent night sights than any revolver for defensive purposes.

I disagree that a 3 inch revolver (Smith and Wesson) mid frame has a crappy trigger pull...

I am totally opposite..

I like semi autos but I rarely shoot them and NEVER carry them for defense...I would rather have 5-6 rounds of .357 magnum in a heavy, round shaped revolver with their excellent triggers and no night sights than any semi auto for defensive purposes....

It's funny but I consider my high cap 9 mm's and my 1911's as range toys...Fun to shoot but I would not bet my life on them....The best semi auto in the world can quickly become a single shot.....Just a couple of pounds of pressure being placed on a small button that actually sticks out from the side of the weapon on the side against one's body is all it takes to drop the mag just enough to make it a single shot...If one is injured and can not grip the weapon properly the odds of "limp wristing" can also effectively turn the semi auto into a single shot...

Note that I am not saying you are wrong...I am just disagreeing with you and my words are humbly offered as an opinion....

Top Bottom