• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    As long as human bodies can be wrecked by metal projectiles at high velocities, revolvers are still relevant.
    The fact that some, or most, may prefer a semi, does not mean that a revolver is not relevant. One does not preclude the other.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    At the end of the day, the man with any weapon with which he is proficient is far more effective in a fight than the man with the most 'modern' weapon which he is using as a substitute for skill, and is still competitive with proficient wielders of newer equipment. Provided that you hit your target, you can only kill an attacker so dead, and having 10 more rounds available that you may or may not fire won't make your adversary any deader.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    As long as human bodies can be wrecked by metal projectiles at high velocities, revolvers are still relevant.
    The fact that some, or most, may prefer a semi, does not mean that a revolver is not relevant. One does not preclude the other.
    Agreed. Completely.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    So a pistol takes three easy steps to reload a magazine from empty, only two steps for a tactical reload where one round is still in the chamber. Let's see how many steps are involved in reloading a revolver:

1) You hit the cylinder release almost simultaneously while 2) switching it to your left hand. At the same time your left hand is 3) hitting the ejector rod turning, pushing the cylinder through the frame then flipping the gun muzzle up for gravity to help. This is all 1 fluid movement. 4) Then turning it muzzle down for gravity to help the other way while loading new BB's. While you are doing that your right hand is removing the speedloader. 5) Your speed loader catches up to the cylinder at that time the gun goes muzzle down. ... 6) Speedloader is let go falls out of the way at the same time 7) cylinder is closed and 8) weapon is transferd to shooting hand.

Is it a lot going on? Heck yes. But we got very proficient at it and could reload as quick as we could with the autos - less rounds. This is the same way a lot of your champion revolver shooters (Jerry Miculek) use.

Okay, so I counted somewhere around 8 steps, but regardless, the biggest two steps are obviously 1) Ejecting spent shells, and 2) Inserting the speed loader into the cylinder. This is where I take issue. In the ejection process you tilt the barrel up almost 90 degrees, taking it way off target, and in my experience half of the shells still stick in the gun, so you slam the ejector rod a few times, but still one or two shells can need tapped or pulled out (the spent brass has expanded). This is quite a distraction, as is lining up the speed loader with the holes in the cylinder. Face it, this is precision work, requiring your eyes to be focused and barrel to be out of the fight. A whole lot more can go wrong even if this is done just as quickly in practice ...I just wanted to make that absolutely clear, carry on...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    So a pistol takes three easy steps to reload a magazine from empty, only two steps for a tactical reload where one round is still in the chamber. Let's see how many steps are involved in reloading a revolver:

Okay, so I counted somewhere around 8 steps, but regardless, the biggest two steps are obviously 1) Ejecting spent shells, and 2) Inserting the speed loader into the cylinder. This is where I take issue. In the ejection process you tilt the barrel up almost 90 degrees, taking it way off target, and in my experience half of the shells still stick in the gun, so you slam the ejector rod a few times, but still one or two shells can need tapped or pulled out (the spent brass has expanded). This is quite a distraction, as is lining up the speed loader with the holes in the cylinder. Face it, this is precision work, requiring your eyes to be focused and barrel to be out of the fight. A whole lot more can go wrong even if this is done just as quickly in practice ...I just wanted to make that absolutely clear, carry on...

I have never had a sticking case problem. If you are using a good speedloader, like a Safariland, which is self-releasing, you are using three basic motions albeit somewhat more complex. With the speedloader already in your left hand, you press the release with your right thumb as you are pushing the cylinder out with fingers on your left hand, using the ejector as the gun rotates upward. Following this, you insert the speedloader, and move it aside as you close the cylinder. I haven't practiced rapidly reloading a revolver in years as my 1911 was always my favorite carry gun, but it is very doable.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte

Valid point, now lets compare the revolver malfunction clearance drill to the Semi-auto:

Revolver:
    1) Pull trigger again.

Semi-auto:
    1) Tap magazine to insure it's fully seated.
    2) Rack the slide to insure there is a new round in the chamber.
    3) Pull trigger again.

Some semi-auto malfunctions require even more steps. For example, clearing a double feed requires the magazine to be stripped and then reinserted. etc.

So, there are potentially 3-5 steps to clear a semi-auto malfunction, compared to 1 step to clear a revolver. Just sayin' ;)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Revolver:
    1) Pull trigger again.

Unless of course internal parts break, the crane bends, the action binds, or a roundhas a primer set out long enough that it won't cycle. < last one happened in my dads security six, not to mention his ejector is bent, and sometimes unscrews itself and won't allow the gun to open.

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    Unless of course internal parts break, the crane bends, the action binds, or a roundhas a primer set out long enough that it won't cycle. < last one happened in my dads security six, not to mention his ejector is bent, and sometimes unscrews itself and won't allow the gun to open.

That is mainly user error. I would not run with a screwed up ejector rod. One thing a revolver doesn't require any additional parts such as magazines. Revolvers also can't accidentally drop magazines an also can't be knocked out off battery as easily in a scuffle.

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Not to pick on you, but half the shells still stuck in gun, that is why they make .357 Revolvers, and .38+p rounds.....

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I have never "counted it" but I don't know if I would say there are 8 seperate steps since you are doing a couple things as one fluid motion. As far as sticking cases the only case issue I have ever had was with a snubby. And they didn't stick the ejector rod wasn't long enough (sound like a personal problem I know LOL)

As far as the revolver muzzle not being lined up with the target during the reload dosen't matter if the gun is empty! Go to any IPSC/IDPA or informal practice session and a lot of auto shooters can't keep their muzzle "at the target" during reloads either (they use to teach tilting 1911's up as you brought it back to close into your body during reloads and I have seen some very quick 1911 shooters using bthat technique) Autos can be kept in the general direction a little better but its only effective if you are doing a magazine exchange can it be fired. On an emergency reload the auto is empty so you might scare him .(but usually at this point everyone is scattering for cover or flight). But with your gun empty it don't matter does it?

Both Revolvers and autos are great tools. One is not any better than the other. As long as you can make it run how it was made to run is the most important. I have to carry and teach Autos on the work side and I'm OK with that. I even carry a autos off duty but I also carry my wheelguns off duty as much and being wheelguns is what I learned/started out on I love them and will not be without one or three. Like I said before when I think about the choices we had 30 years agonwhen I started out workwise and see the choice we have today we are all very very lucky to have that!
    :ingo:

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I find it amusing that, as of this writing, the two threads immediately above this one are "Sig p938 Double Feed" and "Springfield XDs Problems."
    :)

Snake451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    I shoot better with my S&W 686 than I do with my semi auto's. The 686 shot great straight out of the box.

spqr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Zionsville
    I am of the opinion that for 90% of all gun owners, the revolver is the most viable option for home self defense and occasional carry! (Now a shotgun is good too if you never plan to carry!). Most people (not the people reading this thread) buy a gun, go practice at the range for a few days, then load the gun and put it in a drawer...they only think about it when they hear a noise at the back door! With a revolver, they do not need to remember if they racked the slide, if the safety is on, or where the safety is (or if it even has one), for that matter. They just need to press the trigger 5-8 times and hope they are still alive. No need to worry about speed reloads because most gun owners never practiced one! No worry about malfunction drills...they never practiced...with a revolver just press the trigger again if it doesn't go boom the first time!

So, YES, revolvers are still relevant.

It always comes down to what you practice with and what you are trying to achieve. I would not recommend that our police and military start using revolvers again!

Besides, I really like the feel of them! Nice solid metal! :)

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Hell yes they are relevant. On occasions I carry this-
    IMG_1621.jpg

Ran 300 rounds through it today.

Sand-Dragon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    LaPorte County
    Before I went to Iraq I went to a sporting goods store here in LaPorte. I couldn't decide on what to purchase. There were 3 gentlemen at the gun counter with me. Across the counter was a former active duty Marine and a Korean Era war vet who said either the Glock 36 or the .357 mag revolver (I don't remember who made it) was a good choice. The Vietnam vet to my left said "If you're in the jungle, take the revolver." The Desert Storm vet to my right said "If you're in the desert, take the automatic." Revolvers are still relevent as far as I'm concerned and although you sacrifice ammo capacity, you more than make up for firepower than any semi-automatic pistol will give you.

Top Bottom