• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, so this is gonna sound way :tinfoil:, but...I'm at work today and one of my coworkers tells me he was talking to a vendor who bought a Henry rifle and noticed a "dimple" in the hammer. He asked about it and was told that it's an RFID chip and "all new manufacture guns will be (are?) required to have one". He looked on another gun and it was a dimple on the side of the barrel.

I looked on Google, I also looked back on INGO and found that in 2011, Chiappa was going to start this, and of course, several people talking about destroying the chips. That's not at issue yet, so let's focus first on "is it true?"

My inclination is to say no. The guy I was talking with, however, is someone I'd tend to believe. I believe he believes what he told me. I believe he's relaying someone else's info as accurately as it was presented to him.

So the question is, "Anyone else out there heard this or similar?"

Blessings,
    Bill

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The "guts" of an RFID are quite small, not really much larger than a grain of salt. But using one in that configuration is not practical. Usually they are attached to a larger, often sticky, carrier that has an antenna.

But if this is really an RFID, you should be able to tell if there is something inserted in the "dimple" by looking at it with a magnifying glass or a microscope. If there really is one there, and it's somehow troublesome to you, it would be easy to "damage" it.

It's not clear what the purpose would be. An RFID with an antenna is readable from 10 m or so away. But a raw "chip" embedded in a metallic part, even a plastic part, would not be readable from more than a VERY short distance away. Probably something less than an inch away.

Here is a vendor that actually sells such products:

RFID for Weapons | RFID for Guns

But you'll notice that the smallest one is 11 mm x 7 mm x 1.8 mm which would NOT fit inside a "dimple" in any way. This one is design to fit inside the grip on certain models where there is a space.

Cowboy71

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Clark County, IN
    If this were true I think the uproar would have made most of us aware of it by now. Some manufacturers could certainly be doing this on their own but if there was a legal requirement for all gunmakers to put these chips in their guns I think word would have gotten out.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I could see that happening. Your seeing RFID in lots of things these days. RFID chips would help in identifying the weapon. Not just have the serial number, but even owner information if you chose to have that put into it. Would be handy if it ever was stolen.

Aggreed with jwh20, it most likely would have to be in a much larger cavity.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I feel quite sure no American Manufacturer would "insert" a microchip in any firearm unless requested to do so by the buyer. The Chiappa caused such an uproar (justified in my opinion) that I am sure they lost a vast amount of sales. I do think some of the larger police departments do this to the officer's furnished duty guns. It is a reasonable method to keep inventory. However any manufacturer that did this to consumer firearms - when it was found out, which it would be, might as well file bankruptcy that day as the doors would be closed very quickly!

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I question his source. RFIDs need at least some antenna, otherwise they wont energize. A reader not only reads them, but provides power to the chip being read.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    it is not the size of a grain of salt...its a grain of rice. and highly unlikely that they put them in the guns.....I have seen people/police departments put them in the stocks of their guns so they can be ID'ed down the road if it gets stolen because most people dont break the gun down and look where they put them.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I question his source. RFIDs need at least some antenna, otherwise they wont energize. A reader not only reads them, but provides power to the chip being read.
    Isn't this a function of energy, though. I mean, a small antenna would require a high-powered reader to energize.

But, let's consider a metal detector or those shoplifting-sensing things in stores. If they put out enough energy, couldn't they energize a very small RFID?

I tend to agree that this is NOT happening. But, I'm curious about the possibility.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The "guts" of an RFID are quite small, not really much larger than a grain of salt. But using one in that configuration is not practical. Usually they are attached to a larger, often sticky, carrier that has an antenna.

But if this is really an RFID, you should be able to tell if there is something inserted in the "dimple" by looking at it with a magnifying glass or a microscope. If there really is one there, and it's somehow troublesome to you, it would be easy to "damage" it.

It's not clear what the purpose would be. An RFID with an antenna is readable from 10 m or so away. But a raw "chip" embedded in a metallic part, even a plastic part, would not be readable from more than a VERY short distance away. Probably something less than an inch away.

Here is a vendor that actually sells such products:

RFID for Weapons | RFID for Guns

But you'll notice that the smallest one is 11 mm x 7 mm x 1.8 mm which would NOT fit inside a "dimple" in any way. This one is design to fit inside the grip on certain models where there is a space.

I found that link also and the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that this is bogus. If the whole thing was embedded in the "dimple", the antenna would receive no power and could not transmit out.

As others have, I'm calling :bs:. Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Blessings,
    Bill

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I heard they've been secretly putting serial numbers on all guns since 1968. They use this to track the gun into your hands. There's even some law that they use to criminalize disabling this tracking feature.

I'm glad I got my dad's old New Haven rimfire without that new fangled tracker stuff.

I say all this in jest because I design new products with RFID and know the inherent limitations so it doesn't scare me.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I think the current RFID devices that are big enough to be effective are big enough to see. Some folks have found them in police resell gun and they are easily removed.

For every electronic measure there is a counter measure though.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I found that link also and the more I think about it, the more obvious it is that this is bogus. If the whole thing was embedded in the "dimple", the antenna would receive no power and could not transmit out.

As others have, I'm calling :bs:. Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Blessings,
    Bill

RFIDs are implanted in animals and can transmit thru flesh rather well, i dont see wood or polymer being much of a challenge really but only supposition that.

the common misnomer about RFIDs is that it can be used for tracking. this is entirely FALSE. it takes scanning equipment to pick it up and unless theres been a massive increase in the technology, you have to be within a few inches of the scanner.

fun fact - many pet owners think their Home Again system will tell them the exact location of their lost pet. however, the animal must be scanned, which is usually only done in vet offices. I'm unaware if animal shelters use this technology. FURTHER, there's no standardization. Its not a requirement for vets or shelters to use the technology, and there are several different brands of chips which are incompatible with most scanners.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Being against a national gun registry, or anything that promotes the concept... is now considered tin foil hat crazy?

RFID has no more to do with a registry than a serial number. And where exactly did you get that idea?

It's simply a number that easier and faster to read (should you have a reader) - at usually the same distances. Are you against serial numbers from the manufacturer?

Wow, I thought this was a gun owners forum, apparently I'm mistaken.
    You're right, logic and explanations should go out the window. :n00b:

Top Bottom