• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I picked up one of the old "Banner Ad" style Taurus 1911 just a few months ago and I must say I am very impressed.
    I found a deal on Bud's I believe where they had them for $399 and only $10 shipping.
    I have a good friend with an FFL that did the transfer free.

I could not be happier with my purchase.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    If I had to choose between these 2 I would go with RIA simply for customer service reasons.

I would check out Tisas and Girsan off of Buds as well. The Tisas A2 model with a rail can be had for $415 If you make an offer.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have had 3 RIA's over the years. They do have good CS. I had trouble with one. A poor fit thumb safety. I did not want to wait for it to be shipped and returned. I took care of it my self. They aren't a RO or a Kimber but they do the job . And the price is cheap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had great luck with Taurus wheel guns. Never cared for the semi's.
    RIA seems to have picked up their game.
    The few I have seen lately are not to bad. Shoot well enough and are as accurate as you would expect from that price point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I would be fine with either as long as you can inspect them first. Online would make me nervous of getting one with poor fit, rattles or bad finish.

^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Or....save up a bit more and look into The Springer/Remington/Rugar lines.
    All 3 offer very well made and reliable 1911's. They will last much longer than the RIA. No knock on The RIA but the others are just better made.
    You can also easily up grade the 3 brands more easily.
    Regardless of how much better they are making RIA's they are still Island guns.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    Speaking of remington, I've seen their r1 on sale at a couple locations this week for $525 after rebate. I owned one and was quite happy with the fit and finish.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    CM, yea but your first post said they have "picked up their game" LOL that post trumps ur 2nd.

I read all these post about certain makers being better than others. Has anyone ran a production gun 1911 to failure?
    Don 't own a RI ( I once did) or Taurus (will never own a Taurus). I like stock firearms, I have turned down great deals on trades because I know the weapon was most likely modified, If mods are your thing so be it. I've felt so so stock 1911's go from decent to outstanding (in my eyes) in 5-600 rds.

Last edited:

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    My 1994 Springfield 1911 had have a new firing control group, extractor, and ejector fitted by Springfield. They covered everything including shipping. I don't know the round count as I bought it used 4 years ago. But it's a keeper. Not the prettiest as it's got carry wear. But it's got character and is reliable.

I don't like taurus because they make u pay shipping .

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    I have had good experiences with Taurus and ria's customer service. I went with the ria tactical 9mm and the only thing I changed was the extractor and recoil spring after about 3000 rnds. The factory extractor would leave a round in the chamber occasionally Ria would fix it free but I wanted an aftec extractor because this a gun I plan on shooting a lot. The gun is very accurate and has a great trigger and is mil spec so if you want to upgrade components you can. Only complaint is I am not a fan of parkerized finishes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, yea but your first post said they have "picked up their game" LOL that post trumps ur 2nd.

I read all these post about certain makers being better than others. Has anyone ran a production gun 1911 to failure?
    Don 't own a RI ( I once did) or Taurus (will never own a Taurus). I like stock firearms, I have turned down great deals on trades because I know the weapon was most likely modified, If mods are your thing so be it. I've felt so so stock 1911's go from decent to outstanding (in my eyes) in 5-600 rds.

Well, that is your opinion.......Not mine. They do get shot in but everything can be made better.
    Modified 1911's are OK if the work was done correctly. That is the key.

Failure as in catastrophic or just worn the hell out??
    I just re-built one that was in fact worn out. Stock gun and ran till it was just done. Yes, they do wear out.

As to my comment.....yes, they have picked up their game but I will not own one regardless. They are OK if that is all you expect from a 1911. Folks own and love them. I have 2 on the bench right now.

Top Bottom