• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    I just posted this on THR as well. Our gun club purchased two 16" gongs last year that have gone unused because a couple of the 'elders' believe that 22lr rounds would ricochet off these heavy targets. We already shoot at two Evil Roy targets of similar size as well as two plate racks, and nobody seems to be overly concerned. I know that ricochets are possible in any situation, but are they being overly concerned about this. It is also by the way a handgun only range. Any thoughts??

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    First -- I'm not sure and IANAL. Now that that's out of the way, I think if you're shooting these straight-on, then the risk of a ricochet is extemely minimal. Adding angles to the equation (shooting a quartering shot on target) would very likely produce a ricochet... at least all of the "zings" I heard as a kid shooting into fields with the occasional rock would indicate that angles are your ricochet-inducers with a 22 (and with just about any projectile)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    As long as the surface stays essentially flat (no gouges or craters) you should be safe. The bullets should fragment. Hardened steel (AR500) is the way to go for steel targets. Always wear eye pro since you can't assure zero issues.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My kids have been involved in 4-H Shooting sports for years. They shoot at a local range that uses steel plates with .22s, always straight on. The use cardboard targets close up (7 to 10 yards) and the steel plates probably close to 50 yards. We have never had a richocet issue in the 5 or 6 years I've been taking my kids to shoot there.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Yes eyes and ears are mandatory. They are ar500. Most shooting of these targets would be either head on or at most 15* angle from either side. We have two covered shooting bays with an exposed area between the two bays for another 4 shooters. Targets would also be placed at and shot from 25 yards. Thanks for quick replies.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    As long as the surface stays essentially flat (no gouges or craters) you should be safe. The bullets should fragment. Hardened steel (AR500) is the way to go for steel targets. Always wear eye pro since you can't assure zero issues.

I shoot steel at my home range at 25m with a 22. I have indeed been hit with a ricochet. (just enough to feel, not dangerous in the least as long as you have eyes on.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/393721-always-use-both-eyes-ears-range.html

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Shoot them with a suppressed gun, you'll notice ricochets pretty quickly. They're still pretty safe, but you'll have some rounds ricochet off anything

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Ricochet Thoughts

Fire thoughts in safe directions only, preferably into permeable targets, as they may well ricochet if fired into non-permeable targets, like liberals.

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Drop, try to hang the targets so there is a bit of downward angle and you will easily see the spatter hit the ground below after every shot. Use carraige bolts to keep the front as smooth as possible.
    We've shot a bunch of rimfire and 9, .40, and .45 at as close as 25 feet with no spatter or ricochet issues....Bobcat ar500, targets slightly angled down, and shot from head on to maybe 10-15 degrees. Try to keep the shots as head on as possible.

BTW, a .22 will leave a little pill after striking the plate that looks like you sliced the end off of a pencil eraser....kinda cool...

Top Bottom