• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmotPoker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Knox
    What are your guys' thoughts on a Springfield XD-45 4" for OC/CC, home defense, and the occasional target shooting with my homeys? I'm looking for a reliable, all around platform that's not gunna break the bank. Is that even the best choice in the $5-600 or am I better off going with something else? Bust out some knowledge for a newb. :rockwoot:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    obligatory suggestion:

Go with a 1911

you may now continue with your regularly scheduled suggestion about the XD

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    What are your guys thoughts on a Springfield XD-45 4" for OC/CC, home defense, and the occasional target shooting with my homeys? I'm looking for a reliable, all around platform that's not gunna break the bank. Is that even the best choice in the $5-600 or am I better off going with something else? Bust out some knowledge for a newb. :rockwoot:
    If you're looking for something to Carry, it is not a bad choice, although I prefer a different carry gun AND a different caliber. However, for shooting with your boys, I would definitely consider a different choice. Perhaps something in 9mm. .45 ammo is EXTREMELY expensive comparatively.

Let me introduce you to the Kahr CW9. It is a great carry gun due to it's size and comfort. It is a great gun for plinking because it fits the hand (my hand) well, and isn't expensive to shoot. The MSRP is $485, but they can usually be found new for $379-$450.

Kahr CW9 - Style # CW9093, Kahr Arms Pistols

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Well, for one .45 ACP is pretty pricey to shoot paper with. Think about a 9mm for cheaper practice sessions. It's more than adequate for self defense, and won't break the bank when you're out "shooting it up with your homies".

:D

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I heard those go off on their own or blow up or some thing like that.

I once knew a guy that was friends with the lady who said a glock once took advantage of her after a date.

I heard a story about a glock breaking a tailbone from just being on the same couch as the guy carrying it.

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Sorry greg.

Mr. OP,

it seems we agree if you want a 45 you should go with a glock or a 1911 of some sort. They are the awesome. however as others have said, 45 ammo is not cheap. Best to keep that for actually putting holes in bad guys. But for target practice get your self a nice 9mm number and get dead on balls accurate with it and then you will be ready for the big time if the chance presents itself.

Cheers!

SmotPoker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Knox
    I only rarely target shoot so ammo price isn't a problem, plus I like the extra stopping power of the .45 round (reason for selling 9mm and .380 after I get it) But the explosions don't sound all that great. lol I like the 1911 in .45 but I don't like the single action or the price tag on a nice one (Quality), but....continue plz

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I only rarely target shoot so ammo price isn't a problem, plus I like the extra stopping power of the .45 round (reason for selling 9mm and .380 after I get it) But the explosions don't sound all that great. lol I like the 1911 in .45 but I don't like the single action or the price tag on a nice one (Quality), but....continue

I picked up a remington 1911 for about 600 bucks. its a sexy beast.

LdBUp.jpg

However it is single action.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I only rarely target shoot so ammo price isn't a problem, plus I like the extra stopping power of the .45 round (reason for selling 9mm and .380 after I get it) But the explosions don't sound all that great. lol I like the 1911 in .45 but I don't like the single action or the price tag on a nice one (Quality), but....continue plz
    Not to be argumentative, because no one ever wins on the internet anyways, but the ACTUAL difference in the "stopping power" between a .45 and 9mm is EXTREMELY small. There was a study posted on here, and of course I am having trouble finding it, where a guy did a study on all handgun calibers and all the shootings in the US over 'x' number years and sorganized the results. The findings showed that anything from .22-44mag were all very close in how many rounds it took in real life to drop someone within 5'. Now, I hope someone has better luck and can find the thread for you.

Anyways, the difference in stopping power is certainly not (to me) worth the expense of the ammo. Also, you have to note the ability to stay on target being easier with the 9mm, especially since you have stated you don't get to the range very often.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You can't go wrong with a 9mm. Fun and cheap to shoot. Easy to conceal. Easy to carry lots of ammo.

I'd look into a Glock 19 and even an M&P9.

SmotPoker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Knox
    Agreed it's very marginal but it's still an advantage, and the .45 is a little more intimidating when it pops off, I'm just wanting something to replace my carry gun that's gunna be something I can count on when I need it and is fun to shoot. Also the rail and decent priced threaded barrels are kind of a turn on towards it too. And isn't the XD just a better updated version of the glock, more or less? I would think Springfield would use better materials, I could be wrong though.........

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    No matter what they said above; there is nothing wrong with the XD. I have 2 XDm's, one in 9mm & the other in 45ACP. I've carried them both, but generally lean towards the 45.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    No matter what they said above; there is nothing wrong with the XD. I have 2 XDm's, one in 9mm & the other in 45ACP. I've carried them both, but generally lean towards the 45.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with the Springfields, I just said they are not better updated Glocks.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    What makes the glock better in that situation? Build quality?
    Speaking about the Gen 3 Glocks...

They have way more history than their XD(m) counterparts, they are not quite as bulky, so they are more likely to be carried IMO. The grip safety on the springfields has always bothered me too. Plue, I've always found the XD to be too big at the top. (that's ultimately why I sold mine)

Top Bottom