• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jfed85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    I always took the gamble and just rode them home. I would do a bill of sale and me and the seller sign it, plus Id have the title in hand and if I was stopped I would have just showed them that I just bought it and tried my luck.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always took the gamble and just rode them home. I would do a bill of sale and me and the seller sign it, plus Id have the title in hand and if I was stopped I would have just showed them that I just bought it and tried my luck.

Across state lines...???

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Threadjack:

My old license showed the endorsement: "M"...which made sense.

My currect license shows the endorsement: "L", which, when you look at the back, reveals that "L", means "Motorcycle". Makes perfect sense.
    :+1:
    I still haven't figured that out.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    The owner I bought from last summer let me drive home on his plate/reg. I rode it home, took off the plate and sent it and the reg back to him to take to BMV for what ever he could get back.
    Scared me more to be riding an unfamiliar bike in unfamiliar territory than the fear of getting pulled over.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Call the BMV. I seem to recall (but can't easily find it on their website) that when I called about this during a used vehicle search, that I was advised that you can purchase a temporary plate and that you are legally supposed to have one to drive the vehicle back. What I can't remember is, if you can purchase the temp plate without already having completed the purchase. I would think you could, as people do this all the time (fly to purchase a vehicle, but not 100% sure they will make the deal, etc). So, call the BMV...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    When I bought my bike from a private party he offered to let me keep the existing plate on it to ride it home, then mail the plate back to him. It was easy enough. Maybe ask if that is an option?

Not if I'm the seller. I did this on a car a few years back.
    Everything went well, as expected. Got the plate back in the mail a few days later.
    Six months later I received a parking citation from Indianapolis. Researched all the alternatives and came to the conclusion that paying the $45 bucks was the only realistic way to come close to breaking even.:xmad:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Rental trailers are cheap.

Just last week I went to Springfield, Illinois, to retrieve a big smoker (propane tank on a boat trailer). I put a trailer on a trailer to come back with it.

I got an 18' car hauler from Tuesday afternoon to Thursday morning for $40. The local Do It Best hardware store is cheaper than Uhaul every time.

None of your friends have a trailer?

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Thanks for all the info folks. Yes I have a motorcycle endorsement. I will call both Il. and In. DMV and see if I can get a transport tag. I will see if my insurance will cover me before I go. If I can't get a transport tag I will see if she will let me take it with her plate and registration in my possession. We aren't strangers, I work with her husband although they are just kind of sharing a house, she works for the same company as us but at a different terminal.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I bought a vehicle from a private owner in IL and drove it back to IN a couple years ago. I looked into all this before buying and made sure all ducks were in a row. I will try to find links and edit this if I find em. Bottom line in IL was have a valid DL and bill of sale, and signed title in your posession with no plate was legal for X amount of days after the sale. Indiana I believe as long as you have those same documents with you, you're also good to go and after X amount of time. I also got the VIN and put it on my insurance before purchase. Even if you don't end up buying it, its only a few bucks for a couple days coverage which you can end at any time... well worth the peace of mind.

Ok, here is the IN BMV page on it. In Indiana, you're totally fine with the documents I listed above for the ride home. Beyond that, you will still need to go to your local PD and get a VIN check before the BMV will give you a title or plates. http://www.in.gov/bmv/2364.htm

As far as IL is concerned, I just read through a ton of vague BS they have on their BMV site, too much to link here. To save you from having to wade through the sea of crap that is Illinois law, my takeaway was this:

Have a bill of sale, your DL, proof of Insurance, and a signed title. IL makes the seller keep the plate, and it would land both of you in jail if you used the sellers plate, so don't do it. Its fraud. Im sure the police realize this, and IF you're stopped, they will understand once you present your documentation listed above in lieu of having plates. As far as I can tell, IL residents have 7 days to drive w/o plates before a temp permit is required, and IL only gives those to IL residents... and IN only gives those to a vehicle titled to you, which you won't have yet.

Bottom line is that I could not find a specific IL law that addresses this, and either way you can't permit or plate it for the ride home even if you wanted to. So, just like a regular car, drive it home without plates and have your papers handy just in case.

Hope this helps, have a safe journey!

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Do not rent a tow dolly. I repeat do NOT rent a tow dolly. They are unsafe and you will more than likely be called an Idiot on INGO if you don't rent a trailer to haul it.

And for heavens sake man, make sure you have the adequate size vehicle that INGO says you should have other wise you will be called an idiot again.

Tie Down Straps is another issue too.

The so called experts will be along to tell you the one and only way to do it, so be prepared for advice that you never even asked for.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Do not rent a tow dolly. I repeat do NOT rent a tow dolly. They are unsafe and you will more than likely be called an Idiot on INGO if you don't rent a trailer to haul it.

And for heavens sake man, make sure you have the adequate size vehicle that INGO says you should have other wise you will be called an idiot again.

Tie Down Straps is another issue too.

The so called experts will be along to tell you the one and only way to do it, so be prepared for advice that you never even asked for.

Its not the INGO "experts" that said this. It was the vehicle manufacturer, State of Indiana, DOT, various other bureaucratic agencies, and anyone with enough sense to realize that these regulations were made for a reason.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Its not the INGO "experts" that said this. It was the vehicle manufacturer, State of Indiana, DOT, various other bureaucratic agencies, and anyone with enough sense to realize that these regulations were made for a reason.

Just like how ATF makes regulations regarding firearms that are pointless. Government knows best.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Just like how ATF makes regulations regarding firearms that are pointless. Government knows best.
    In the case he was referencing, it most certainly does know best. We don't need Asian style driving here no matter what some claim. On the OPs topic, I recently drove a motorcycle around 20 miles before realizing I didn't have a paper plate.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Not if I'm the seller. I did this on a car a few years back.
    Everything went well, as expected. Got the plate back in the mail a few days later.
    Six months later I received a parking citation from Indianapolis. Researched all the alternatives and came to the conclusion that paying the $45 bucks was the only realistic way to come close to breaking even.:xmad:
    Boo! on that offender. He/she should have coughed up the money for the ticket. You have a good point though.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'll loan you my Dodge Magnum station wagon. Only 350-400 miles round trip. Just lay it on it's side in the back and leave the hatch open, and you owe me 2 cases of Bud.

Top Bottom