• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Going to have to rip off shingles and put new roof on. We had a ridge vent put in about three years ago because the shingles on the ridge cap were curling bad.

I had a guy come out today and he said they were very popular, but are finding out they do not work that well and are going away from them.

We are putting in a couple more vents, and updating the attic fan. Vents on each gable end as well.

I heard the ridge vent helps a lot, but now unsure whether to keep it or not.

Also thought about going with a metal roof as well.???

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Too many people go cheap on roof hardware. That is not wise. The one house I put a ridge vent on was 60' long so I had 58' of ridge vent installed. It worked ok. If it only had the two 8 foot sections that the roofer said "was enough", I do not think it would have done well.

I had my current home re roofed two years ago. The home is 48' long and I have 7 large metal vents and a thermostatically controlled attic fan. This house is very easy to air condition and the stuff stored in the attic does not melt and deform.

A roof is one of those places that "only the best is good enough".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    For ridge vents to be effective, you have to have vents in your soffits. Unless air can get in at a lower level, the chimney effect doesn't work. In our previous house, I installed a powered vent fan. I believe that made a huge difference in the air-condition-ability in that cape cod style house.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    For ridge vents to be effective, you have to have vents in your soffits. Unless air can get in at a lower level, the chimney effect doesn't work. In our previous house, I installed a powered vent fan. I believe that made a huge difference in the air-condition-ability in that cape cod style house.

:yesway:.......Yup.......ain't only ridge vents......at's fer ANY roof vent......it got'a draw air from sumplace......

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

Also if you have gable vents, they must be sealed up as well.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have multiple soffit and roof vents in my attic and they don't do ****. Passive venting gives passive results. If you really want to cool your attic, you NEED a fan.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My house was built in the 50s when the thinking was "sealing it up". Now we let it breath.

Very happy with my ridge vent. The roofer had to cut additional soffits in (8"), but it was worth the time and effort.

Go big with the vent. Like the gun shop "all you need" should raise eyebrows.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Our original roof did not have a ridge vent. Had soffit and those square vent things. Went with a ridge vent almost the entire length. This was two years ago (?) -- that unbearably hot summer. The AC bill was less than the previous year, even though it was much hotter. No powered vent -- can put one in later if we need it. Keep it! Just make sure it is clear.

I want a metal roof. Make sure your structure can support it. Heard stories of houses sagging under the additional weight.

wabashman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    If you are wanting a metal roof, look into the Decra metal roofing. Menards carries it as well as numerous other places. I used this on my house when I built it. They look just like normal asphalt shingles but are so much better. They cover around 10 square feet per 'shingle'. Have a 75 year warranty (pretty sure I'll be dead by then), are Miami Dade approved so can literally withstand hurricanes. They will get you an insurance exemption as well.

While they cost more, and are somewhat limited to roof shapes due to being metal, they do down MUCH faster and easier. They offer numerous colorings an accessories. I would give them a strong look at opposed to traditional 'pole barn' metal roofing.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Interesting topic.

We purchased a house in November. This summer I've noticed condensation raining from the ceiling. I don't believe the roof is vented at all, apart from a few soffit vents around the perimeter that are probably clogged with that nasty blown-in insulation that the previous owner put in.

I'm thinking the unvented attic is the reason for the indoor rain and the mediocre energy bill. Have any of you installed one of these ridge vents before? OK for a handy do-it-yourselfer, or better to hire a pro?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Interesting topic.

We purchased a house in November. This summer I've noticed condensation raining from the ceiling. I don't believe the roof is vented at all, apart from a few soffit vents around the perimeter that are probably clogged with that nasty blown-in insulation that the previous owner put in.

I'm thinking the unvented attic is the reason for the indoor rain and the mediocre energy bill. Have any of you installed one of these ridge vents before? OK for a handy do-it-yourselfer, or better to hire a pro?

Yeah, I've done it before. It's simple. IIRC, you just cut about some of your roof decking away, right at the peak, maybe an inch on each side, making a slot. The one I did, rolled out along that ridge, over the newly cut slot, then I just nail shingles over the top, just like you'd do ridge shingles. You just have to use longer roofing nails to account for the extra thickness.

I gotta ask though...is that dripping condensation happening with air conditioning running? That seems odd to me. I've seen windows get condensation in the winter because the windows are cooler than the inside air. But wouldn't your ceiling/attic have to be cooler than your room to make the moisture condense out? An unvented attic should be hotter and make your ceiling hotter than the room below--maybe I'm missing something?

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Our original roof did not have a ridge vent. Had soffit and those square vent things. Went with a ridge vent almost the entire length. This was two years ago (?) -- that unbearably hot summer. The AC bill was less than the previous year, even though it was much hotter. No powered vent -- can put one in later if we need it. Keep it! Just make sure it is clear.

I want a metal roof. Make sure your structure can support it. Heard stories of houses sagging under the additional weight.

:scratch:.....
    Metal don't weigh as much's asphalt/composite........'less it a copper roof........

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I love my metal roof. In the winter when the sun gets on it and it starts to warm the snow shoots off of it. It helps keep the snow load down. Never have a torn up shingle from the wind. I will say the only down side is that it's slippery as hell. I'm talking you can't even sit on it and keep from sliding. It's not a steep roof either.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I love my metal roof. In the winter when the sun gets on it and it starts to warm the snow shoots off of it. It helps keep the snow load down. Never have a torn up shingle from the wind. I will say the only down side is that it's slippery as hell. I'm talking you can't even sit on it and keep from sliding. It's not a steep roof either.

:):.....yeah that........like goose-sh*t thru a tin horn.....:):

Top Bottom