• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I took a doe at ~80 yards at the Prophetstown reduction hunt with my .358 WSSM (I had my pick of three). I got a break in the rain in the early morning. Other than the two-day hunt, I only hunted one other late afternoon during the late antlerless season and saw nothing but heard a couple. It was either high wind or rain this season every time had time and opportunity to hunt. Except for the second day of the reduction hunt at Prophetstown, which was perfect weather, but a couple of "hunters" pulled in just before legal hours, then waited in their car a couple hundred yards from my stand, where I had been waiting for an hour and a half, then right at legal time, they proceeded to walk the treeline of the woods I was hunting, can't believe they didn't see me, then tramped around the woods for an hour, then one of them walked right up to my stand and finally saw me. Then he walked back to where his buddy was, then across the grassy field to the tall grasses, then back to his buddy, then they both went out along the treeline where they came in.

Rifle score card year by year for the .358 WSSM rifle since I built it: 0, 3, 0 (didn't hunt), 1, 1, 1.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Today someone told me the deer reduction season was still open in designated areas AND since he hadn't taken his buck yet he could do so AND he could use a rifle of the proper caliber. Ring true ?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Rifle - Ruger M77 .30-06 Springfield that I bought new while still in the Navy in 1989 - in hunting garb
    Ruger_M77_30-06_with_Leupold_VX-3i_Scope_zpswzpaogmd.jpg

Ammo - My reload consisting of Federal brass, CCI #200 primer, 57.0 grains IMR4831, topped with the 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullet (measured MV is 2780 fps average) - the single fired case sitting outside the box at the front is the one round used for my harvest.
    30-06_Ammo_zpsg5buiehc.jpg

Deer - six point with a seventh drop point draped from the base of the beams over the right eye, field dressed at 120 lbs
    Scotts%20Deer%20-%2011-12-16%20-%2003_zpszrjuozyq.jpg

He stepped out of the raspberry bushes sixty yards from my stand, unaware of my presence, then finally stepped into an opening for the boiler room.
    Shot him once just behind the the right shoulder, angling back at roughly 45 degrees, as you can see from the exit in the photo.
    He hunched up at the shot, as all deer do when struck, ran five steps, then walked another five steps, stopped, then stood for about one minute, shaking his head, then collapsed.
    Textbook performance from the Barnes bullet.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They don't always hunch when hit.
    Have seen a few merely flinch. Some gave a sway.
    Of course some mule kicked.
    Some jump. But a hunch is often the sign of a hit too far back.
    According to my brother in law. I've not pulled one off the mark that far yet.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    My youngest took a buck and I took two does with my .308. She used federal 150 grain SP's and I used 150 grain Hornady SST had handloaded ammo. Our shots were between 30-60 yards.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Today someone told me the deer reduction season was still open in designated areas AND since he hadn't taken his buck yet he could do so AND he could use a rifle of the proper caliber. Ring true ?

No.

Firearms (Nov. 12-27, 2016), Muzzleloader (Dec. 3-18, 2016) and special antlerless firearm (Dec. 26, 2016 – Jan. 1, 2017).

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central

Reduction zones (formerly called urban zones) are still in season until Jan 31. Legal firearms can be used from Nov 12 through Jan 31 where allowed by local ordinances. Earn a buck still applies. So as long as he is hunting in a designated "urban zone", there isn't any ordinance not allowing firearms in his area, and he has already shot an anterless deer, then yes he can still shoot a buck.

Top Bottom