• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andrew Cornett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Hello,

I bought a Remmington model 700 ADL new a while back chambered in 30-06 no floor pate or box magazine, sythetic stock, when I took it to the range I noticed that I was having trouble feeding the the rounds (I did make sure it was the right chambering in 30-06). I have experemented with my spent 30-06 cases and notice that it will randomly feed some fine and others I have to force the round in and bolt does not want to close and sometimes if i feed it slowly it seems to want to come in at an angle. Can anyone tell me if maybe "I" am the problem or if there is something wrong with my rifle?

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    I wouldn't recommend a slow feed. I would keep a constant motion. Did you run a rod and give the rifle a thorough cleaning and a light lube upon purchase? Is there any damage to the spent casings?

InfraRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Sounds like a possible head space problem. IF your rifle is on the minumum side of the tolorances and your Cartridges are toward the maxim side of length tolorences then the match of the two would cause the bolt to be hard to close for most of the rounds in that cartridge batch. I would promptly take your cartridges and your rifle and head to an experienced gunsmith. this could be a bad day waiting to happen

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Your bolt shouldn't close on a fired case, though that appears to be what you are trying to do.

An ADL 700 should feed fired cases from the magazine to the chamber. When they don't the majority of the time it is due to magazine assembly, and I have seen several from the factory that were done incorrectly.

Andrew Cornett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I am going to try to respond to you all in this one message. To Sigasaurus, I am having a little better time feeding the rounds going faster on the first two,but yes there are some scraches on the outside of the case in addition to the front of the last one hitting the feed ramp I believe. To 03A3, I am using Remmington factory loads. To Yeah, I have been using spent cases for to try and see if I can figure out the problem. To InfraRed I am hoping that it doesn't come to that I will take it to a smith if I can not find an alternative solution. Back to Yeah, how would I know if it is the magazine assemby? And just to check you ARE saying that it should not close on a spent case??? Thanks for ALL of you all's responses everyone and I apologise for the bad grammar perhaps and I appologise if this resonse doesn't get to you all, this is only probably the third time I've been on this and am having a little difficulty on the navigating of it and all that. Finally I appologise for not getting back to you as soon as I probably should have, but part of the slow response is job realated and the other I have no excuse for. I look forward to you all's responses and hope that this will be something of a simple fix again if I am doing something wrong please point it out. Thank you.

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Sounds like a chamber burr.....Something that 10 years ago would have never left the rem factory.........poor bolt machining has been a problem as of late they seems to have not been taking the time to polish them up.

The 700 is a tried and true action... If new I would see if chambering a few thousand rounds during a movie works things out..... Your wife might think you are nuts...

If it does not I would spend about an hour on hold at rem customer service and get them to send a pre paid shiiping box and have them do what should have been done correctly at the factory in the first place.....

End of rant...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my '74 tiger striped walnut non skipline checkered 700 magnum in .300 Win had a nasty chamber burr from the factory (easy enough fix though).

OP.............have you taken the action out of the stock to check the magazine spring/floorplate situation? Might have just gotten in a bind when put together.

Also, the screw that holds your ADL magazine body to the action.........on my ADL the factory did NOT clearance the stock for the screw so it was kinda tweaked by the action screws. You can either buzz some plastic away from the stock (for clearance) or you can remove the screw and just let the tension of the body hold it in place.

I've done my 2 ADL synths both ways, either one is fine.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    If I recall correctly the Rem. 700 has an ejector in the bolt face. With the bolt out of the rifle push in on the ejector with a pencil eraser or dowel rod. The ejector should move easily to flush with the bolt face. If this is the problem you will also have a "smear" on the fired or chambered case.

Top Bottom