• ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Rifleman should be able to shoot at least 4MOA groups. 1 inch at 100 yards is roughly 1 MOA. 4 MOA at 100 yards is 4 inches. Divide that by 4 (for 25 yards vs 100 yards) means the circle is 1 inch diameter. The little lines inside the circle are 1/4 inch or 1 MOA marks at 25 yards.

Try it. I promise you it is tougher than you think.

Great new promotion by Appleseed by the way. Definitely sharing this

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The results are in! I decided to take the rifleman's challenge today. Playing around with a few guns. Learned a lot, and need to get better!

ROUND 1:
    1973 Ruger 10/22 Sporter. Axxiom Stock. Vortex CrossfireII Scope.
    t01_zps27f40521.jpg

LEFT: I did a 3 shot sighter group, made a minor adjustment, and shot the target on the left using Federal550 Bulk Ammo. I was kind of surprised at how large the grouping was.

RIGHT: Since this was the first time I ran this ammo through it, I went ahead and loaded some CCI AR Tactical (What I usually feed it) for the target on the right.
    Still scratching my head on this one, and want to make sure I wasn't doing something terribly wrong. So more practice/tests with the Federal ammo in the near future.

ROUND 2:
    2012 RUGER 10/22 20". Axxiom Stock. Cheap BSA Red Dot. Fiber Optic Irons.
    t02_zps591441bd.jpg

LEFT: My son's red dot is pretty crisp. But POI changes with head position. He manages to shoot this very well, so I did not want to mess with the settings. I shot a 5 shot sighter group (also shown) and then did a holdover. The size of the dot matched the size of the center black (Approx. POA is indicated by an X lof/left of target). One went way low. Didn't call it, targets don't lie. But this rifle seems to shoot a bit tighter with Federal Bulk ammo.

RIGHT: I detached the red dot, and shot his dovetail iron sights (also pictured). Ran through some sighters as the irons had never been sighted (Xmas gift, came with the red dot on it). Got quite a bit left to right going on. Damn difficult to switch focus.

ROUND 3:
    DSA AR-15 Midlength 16". 3-7x30 Scope. (Olive drab). PMC Bronze .223
    Frankenrifle AR-15 Carbine 16". Eotech 512, Yankee Hill Flip up rear. (Black). M&P Lower, PSA Upper. PMC Bronze .223

t03_zpsfbd531d3.jpg

LEFT: Midlength Scoped. Not too shabby, though I certainly pressed way early, and dragged some wood. Got flustered and dragged again for the next one.

RIGHT: Carbine, Irons. I did not attempt the red dot, because the eotech kind of starbursts when you focus on the reticle. So I only ran Irons on this one. Recoil is a little heavier on this one compared to my midlength. As the shots went on, it kept creeping up on me. Clearly I was not holding steady.

ROUND 4:
    M&P 22LR Pistolman shoot!

Just thought I'd have fun with this. Left is a 5 shot sighter group. Right is my horrible results. Maybe I should have figured out a way to rig up a sling?
    t04_zps4f162d89.jpg

Overall, it was a good day running the various guns and sights.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Nice. How many other Appleseed'ers found themselves matching breathing cadence with the shooter in the video?

And Kirk, this is not as easy as it may seem, that black dot is pretty tiny at 25 yards.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Nice. How many other Appleseed'ers found themselves matching breathing cadence with the shooter in the video?

And Kirk, this is not as easy as it may seem, that black dot is pretty tiny at 25 yards.

60 Seconds was cake when you didn't have to drop, swap mags, and change NPOA.
    I was surprised I still had 5 seconds left with the pistol lol

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    I liked being able to hear the very deliberate trigger reset each time. I talked with the shooter in the video toady and more are in the pipeline!

HH

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    60 Seconds was cake when you didn't have to drop, swap mags, and change NPOA.
    I was surprised I still had 5 seconds left with the pistol lol
    Sixty seconds would be even more challenging with my bolt-action rifle, no sling and 5 round magazine!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    My eyes are turning crappy fast at short range. I did good at a KD last year but this little 4 moa blur at 25 yards was hard to see. I shot it Saturday using a new M&P 15-22. we ran some cheap ammo through it to get on paper then tried some red box Federal .22. It shot a bit high but the group wasn't too bad. I mounted an old school fixed 4x Tasco on it last night and will give it another try soon.

1233605_10200525887701687_1626422974_n.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hop, I don't have that patch yet that you show in your avatar, but I did improve my shooting skills in my first Appleseed which ended yesterday.

I am going to use these targets for practice.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Hop, I don't have that patch yet that you show in your avatar, but I did improve my shooting skills in my first Appleseed which ended yesterday.

I am going to use these targets for practice.

You and Deb did awesome this weekend Greg and it wouldn't surprise me to see you put all your rounds in one of the targets. You proved you have the foundation to do it during our 5 square practice.

By the way, nothing helps more than dry practice at home. Put away all your mags and ammo, triple check to make sure you have an unloaded rifle, and then put one of these up in your basement, hallway, etc. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9833.0;attach=12585

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Quick Note: When I printed these initially were reduced in size by my print manager to fit the "Portrait" aspect of a standard page. I thought it looked a little small in comparison to the pictures on the web page so I went back and changed the print aspect to "Landscape" This gives the correct size target for the challenge. I know most people could have figured this out, but figured I'd post this to save everyone some paper and ink.

I printed mine landscape but would like to verify the size. Mine measure 3 13/16" wide X 5 13/16" tall. Doe that sound right?

Top Bottom