• eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm the same: left-eye, right hand.

Practice, practice, practice!

I shoot handguns with both eyes open, and so use my left eye (mostly). With long guns, I need to close/squint my left eye and use my right. For a lot of things, like shooting clays, I will track with both eyes open, and then squint right before firing.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My son, who is right-handed and right-eyed, rotates the gun to the right to line up with his right eye when he shoots left-hand drills.
    The physics of recoil would say the shots should go high, right when doing this, but it is accurate enough for 8 inch steel plates at about 15 yards.
    Might be worth a try...

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    All my life I shot right hand-right eye. Then a mini stroke happened. It parylised a muscle in my right eye giving me diplopia or double vision. Surgery is out of the question and glasses have not corrected it. The remaining option is to cover the affected eye. I taped over the right lens of my glasses rather than wear a patch. Learning to shoot cross dominant is easy when you have to do it.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Okay I have a quick question.. Upon trying kawtech's strategy, I have found that I am cross dominant. Is it possible to be neither eye dominant? My buddy says the gun moves off to the side no matter what eye he closes. Is it possible to not have a dominant eye?? Thanks guys!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay I have a quick question.. Upon trying kawtech's strategy, I have found that I am cross dominant. Is it possible to be neither eye dominant? My buddy says the gun moves off to the side no matter what eye he closes. Is it possible to not have a dominant eye?? Thanks guys!

I suppose it could be so close that it's hard to tell. Most likely he didn't quite nail the test correctly. There are a few different ways of doing it. Another way to test is to hold your arm outstretched in front of you with your thumb pointing up. With both eyes open cover a door knob that is several feet(8-10) away from you. Then without moving your thumb close one eye, then the other.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis

If you are focused on the target, the gun will appear to move.
    The dominant eye looks directly at the thing you are focused on; the non-dominant eye rotates to see approximately the same thing. The non-dominant eye sees it at an angle because it is positioned about three inches to one side or the other.
    The "door knob" test mentioned by gregkl is a good test. Another test is to quickly point the index finger of your dominant hand at something across the room and close each eye without moving it. The dominant eye will line up with the object; the non-dominant eye will not.
    A third test is to point your index finger at the dominant eye of another person at a distance of about 10 feet and ask them which of your eyes the finger lines up with.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I wonder how this cross eye dominant versus lined up affects other aspects of life. I wonder what patterns they would find in people. Are things just harder for those of us cross eye dominant? I wonder if many high achievers are cross eye dominant or what I will call "lined up" Isn't obvious when things are lined up they are much easier faster less problems? I am cross eye dominant so I never see things lined up? How would this affect a persons entire life when "every" thing I see/view is skewed? Lot to think about. Gotta go and take mom to breakfast.

Csquared

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Vigo County
    Since I'm not sure how to quote multiple people using my iPhone, this is to Greg and Doug. I had him try those tests and he says that no matter which eye he closes, his finger (appears) to move. He says that it's very hard for him to cover something up with his thumb or finger because he can always see the object he is covering with one of his eyes.

I'm not sure if I'm accurately describing things so if you need more info I can try to get it. I appreciate the responses though!! Thank you!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wonder how this cross eye dominant versus lined up affects other aspects of life. I wonder what patterns they would find in people. Are things just harder for those of us cross eye dominant? I wonder if many high achievers are cross eye dominant or what I will call "lined up" Isn't obvious when things are lined up they are much easier faster less problems? I am cross eye dominant so I never see things lined up? How would this affect a persons entire life when "every" thing I see/view is skewed? Lot to think about. Gotta go and take mom to breakfast.

I think it affects many areas of life where eye hand coordination is involved. I think of activities involving a ball of some sort like billiards for instance. When you bend down and line up the cue for your shot, you won't be looking down the cue. Also archery if you are shooting instinctive.

Would be interesting to see some studies on the affects of cross dominance in life overall.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Make a circle with your index finger and thumb with your arm extended and put the "circle" around any object in the distance. Then close your eyes one at a time and see which eye (your dominant one) shows the object in the circle...has to be only one.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Make a circle with your index finger and thumb with your arm extended and put the "circle" around any object in the distance. Then close your eyes one at a time and see which eye (your dominant one) shows the object in the circle...has to be only one.

A variation of this technique is to make a big circle with both index fingers and thumbs and look through it at an object.
    Then, slowly bring the circle to your face, keeping the object centered. The circle should end up over your dominant eye. (If both eyes are in the circle, try it with a smaller circle.)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A variation of this technique is to make a big circle with both index fingers and thumbs and look through it at an object.
    Then, slowly bring the circle to your face, keeping the object centered. The circle should end up over your dominant eye. (If both eyes are in the circle, try it with a smaller circle.)

I was going to try to explain this method but couldn't figure out how to say it. Nice job. This method also works well. The key to not take your eyes off the object as you bring your hand back to your face. Keep focusing on the object just like we are supposed to remain focused on the front sight.:)

I shrink the opening created by my hands to where it's just showing the object.

Top Bottom