• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I took this pic on my way to lunch as I drove past Laborers union local 120. I counted over 14 buses in the pictured parking lot and 2 more in the union hall parking lot.

Regardless of your thoughts on the right to work, the unions are taking it serious and throwing a lot of money and man power behind it.

IMG_20120105_114402-1.jpg

I am for the right to work bill to be passed. (just want to include my opinion at the end.)

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I would like to see the Democrats get back to work and stop messing around. This is a Democracy; debate it and vote on it and get on to other things. I'm tired of them running home (or to Illinois) every time they don't want to deal with an issue. They need to be voted out!!!!

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    Having been non union hourly, union hourly, management, and business owner, I prefer the right to work. I have seen injustices on both sides of the fence so I prefer to leave union membership up to the individual - not the state.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    WE NEED TO PASS THIS BILL I KNOW THE UNIONS DO NOT LIKE IT THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY AND IF I DON'T WANT TO JOIN THE UNION I SHOULD NOT BE FORCED WONDER HOW MANY WILL ACTUALLY COME FROM ANOTHER STATE TO PROTEST I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE NUMBERS

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I too would like to see it passed. I see no reason why a person should be required to join a union as a condition of employment. No reason for an employer to be held hostage and told who they can hire/fire and for what reasons by a union. No reason why a worker should have even more of his/her salary deducted for "union dues" .
    That said, if someone WANTS to join a union, they should be free to do so.
    If an employer wants to enter into a labor contract with a union, go right ahead, but the employer should be free to say "no more contracts" when it expires with no strike, no repercussions, no legal actions.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I am definitely for the right to work, but there needs to be other changes within the National Labor Relation Act and Board, along with union structure, to better determine how workers' rights AND employer rights are addressed. Right now, there are too many people taking advantage of their unions when they are in need, although they don't pay dues. Also, the unions, in some instances, totally ignore some workers when they are in need, even though they are dues-paying members. On the other hand, I am not in agreement with any form of union-busting tactics that some employers have attempted to use in the past, so some protections will need to stay in place.

The bottom line is, this needs to be dealt with in the legislature and just because any particular side happens to be in the minority, that does not give them the right to walk away from the table. If there is a proper argument, a statesman should be able to convey the benefits to his colleagues in a way to sway them to his side, regardless which side of the aisle the sit. The art of debate is nonexistent today, because of staunch party lines and politics.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Unions already use their members dues for political contributions which their members have no control over.
    Right to work only means that a non union employee of a company can not be forced to join a union or to pay dues in order to keep his/her job.
    The unions are very concerned about this because it will or at least could contribute to a loss of revenue and power for them.

PASS RIGHT TO WORK.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am definitely for the right to work, but there needs to be other changes within the National Labor Relation Act and Board, along with union structure, to better determine how workers' rights AND employer rights are addressed. Right now, there are too many people taking advantage of their unions when they are in need, although they don't pay dues. Also, the unions, in some instances, totally ignore some workers when they are in need, even though they are dues-paying members. On the other hand, I am not in agreement with any form of union-busting tactics that some employers have attempted to use in the past, so some protections will need to stay in place.

The bottom line is, this needs to be dealt with in the legislature and just because any particular side happens to be in the minority, that does not give them the right to walk away from the table. If there is a proper argument, a statesman should be able to convey the benefits to his colleagues in a way to sway them to his side, regardless which side of the aisle the sit. The art of debate is nonexistent today, because of staunch party lines and politics.

Totally agree. The labor laws that where passed during heavily "progressive" times in this country are just AWFUL, and need to be done away with.

I have no problem, either, with a group of people wanting to organize to negotiate their wage, if that's what they want to do.

I also think that an employer should be able to hire and fire whoever they like, whenever they like, at whatever wage they like.

I think there is plenty of room for both ideal to exist in one workplace. In fact...we have SEVERAL classifications of "worker" here at the plant in order to sort of get around taft-hartly. I think most would consider it common sense. For instance, the factory workers are lumped together, the technicians are seperate, the engineers and office workers are in their own category too. Only the factory workers are represented.

I would take it one step further and have one group of factory represented workers and one group of un-represented factory workers. If everyone is working for a fair market wage, it shouldn't make any difference.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is the reason the Dems are a no-show once again at the Statehouse...I know they did this last year and the Repubs pulled this stunt in the past. So tiring. Just once I would like to see a member of that group show up because that was the job they swore to do.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This is the reason the Dems are a no-show once again at the Statehouse...I know they did this last year and the Repubs pulled this stunt in the past. So tiring. Just once I would like to see a member of that group show up because that was the job they swore to do.

there was at least one democrat who took her seat instead of hanging w/ the other dems behind closed doors because she said its what her membership was paying her to do. saw it in the paper this morning.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana

I didn't realize the republicans have done that too. What was the issue when they refused to show?

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Out jobs demand high standards. Work is slow enough as it is for our local, this bill would just make it a free for all and make it worse. Customers have their choice. Either hire a union contractor and get what you pay for, or some scab outfit to save money. Our local has the best schooling for apprentices in the country. I'm not saying that non union shops dont do it by the book, but I have seen alot of shotty work.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    As a union electrician I am against the bill. Union jobs need to stay union.

I don't get it. :scratch:

Couldn't you still believe this and choose to remain a union member if the bill passes?

Are you afraid that if you are someday afforded the opportunity to choose

...you might change your mind? :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Out jobs demand high standards. Work is slow enough as it is for our local, this bill would just make it a free for all and make it worse. Customers have their choice. Either hire a union contractor and get what you pay for, or some scab outfit to save money. Our local has the best schooling for apprentices in the country. I'm not saying that non union shops dont do it by the book, but I have seen alot of shotty work.

I suppose you never do price comparisons when you're in the market to buy something. Why should it be any different for employers?

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Im afraid of work being taken from me and my brothers and sisters. That is all. This bill does not affect me directly. I am a chicago guy. But if I chose to transfer it would.

Top Bottom