• ...and so much more!
  • edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'd rather be my dad paying just 20$ a month and getting paid 28.75 an hour with full benefits than being non union and being paid 11$. Plus I'd rather use a guy who had a 5 year apprenticeship than someone who hasn't. Not totally in favor of unions but they do have there benefits such as trained individuals.

If your marketable skills are TRULY worth $28.75 an hour plus full benefits, you don't need a union to get it.
    An employer will gladly pay you that.

As an INDIVIDUAL skilled worker you ALREADY have bargaining power, and the market will pay you what you're skills are actually worth.

On the other hand, if as an individual you can only get $11 an hour for your marketable skills, then that's what they're ACTUALLY worth.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Union member here and I say :woot:

Glad it is over. Tired of the BS and games they were playing. I did not see any way that it would not pass.
    Sure I have a couple mixed feelings about it, but in the end I think it is best that it passed. Can't say I would leave the union, but it is nice to have the option. :yesway:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Help me out. If I work in a place that has a union and I decide i don't want to pay dues anymore, RTW allows me to stop, right? So do I still get my pay, health insurance, retirement plan, 401K, and anything else that was negotiated AND AGREED TO BY BOTH SIDES, or do i have to go HR and negotiate my own pay and benefits?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I saw first hand what happened when unions "negotiated". Look at the steel industry in northern IN, car industry around Anderson IN. The unions got too big and priced themselves out of the market. Their time has passed.

Bob

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Help me out. If I work in a place that has a union and I decide i don't want to pay dues anymore, RTW allows me to stop, right? So do I still get my pay, health insurance, retirement plan, 401K, and anything else that was negotiated AND AGREED TO BY BOTH SIDES, or do i have to go HR and negotiate my own pay and benefits?

I'm not sure, but I would think that if you work for a union contractor and stop paying dues, you will not be covered by the union pension that is paid for by union members paying dues. How I see it happening is that you will stop paying dues, the union BA will come in and tell your coworkers that you stopped paying dues and they will pressure you to start paying again or quit.

Right to work is a good first step, but now the real fight now needs to be waged against our own government that builds buidlings and roads and makes the contractors that bid the jobs use a "prevailing wage" labor rate.

The so called prevailing wage wastes our tax dollars and does nothing to improve the quality of government construction jobs. The only thing it does is pay back the unions for supporting the politicians.

Here is a very pro-prevailing wage article - Prevailing wage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is an anti-prevailing wage article - PSRF - Public Service Research Foundation

You decide...

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    :(
    I'd rather be my dad paying just 20$ a month and getting paid 28.75 an hour with full benefits than being non union and being paid 11$. Plus I'd rather use a guy who had a 5 year apprenticeship than someone who hasn't. Not totally in favor of unions but they do have there benefits such as trained individuals.

I'd like to know where someone works and makes almost $28/hr and only pays $20/month union dues.:n00b: When I was a Teamster and was making around $18/hr I was paying a little over $35/month in union dues.

:dunno:

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Beck Dues

Yes, for the most part. You're still considered "represented", but not a member.

I actually did this many years ago, sort of. When I worked at a union engineering shop I paid ~80% of the dues. This was the "determined" amount required to "represent" me. The other ~20% went to politics and I didn't want to support dems. or union causes. What I had to do was every year I had to submit a letter requesting my rights as granted in Beck v. Brotherhood(?) of Communication Workers. The result was a smaller chunk ripped from my paycheck and no ability to vote in union elections. FWIW, every union member has this right, it's referred to as "Beck dues", but the union frowns on it. (that's just another reason to do it!)

In the end the union "represented" me by throwing me out on the street and I found a much better job, without the union Barbara Streisand, the very next week.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To Eatsnopaste,

We just finished discussing this in an HR class last semester.

As I understand it the National Labor Relations Act legally forces a union in a shop to represent everyone in that shop whether or not they are a union member. So, whatever they negotiate for the painters, janitors, widget makers, whatever, is good for every single member of that group whether or not they paid union dues.

So the union is forced to work for you whether or not you pay for their service.

Now, has the union service for workers sucked in many workplaces? Sure it has.

This law may actually have the unintended consequence of making unions start busting their chops and trying to earn every penny, thus increasing union membership.

Who knows...?

I hope this helps and someone with greater knowledge than I can clarify further as necessary.

Regards,

Doug

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's already been stated many times before. It's all about the money. Plain and simple the unions are here to promote. . . . . . . . . .THEMSELVES. The unionized worker is the product they sell and if necessary the cannon fodder they use to keep themselves relevant. I wonder how many of those marchers, occupiers etc. gave up a days pay to join in the protesting? Of those how many were honest when they told their employers they were skipping work that day? "cough, cough, I'm sick I can't come in today, if I had any nards I'd tell you the truth, cough, cough" And yes I have been "represented" by several unions, the last one sold several thousand jobs down the river to protect their cash cow, the employer. Wasn't it a union just recently that got a manufacturing facility shutdown here in Indy because it was going under and they weren't willing to negotiate? Didn't the potential buyer of the facility guarantee the existing pay structure? I don't know or remember all the details that were given out but they "showed them" who was boss, right to the unemployment line.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'd rather keep my $20.00 a month and keep making the money I make and keep working for good people who are truly concerned about their employees. Yeah, I know all employers aren't like mine, but there are good ones out there. To hear the union thugs crying about it you'd think employers all over the state were waiting for RTW to be passed so they could slash wages and break out the bull whips to crack down on their workers.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    This is a post from the assistant Pastor at our church. I think it says it all

Not that I'm such a huge Superbowl fan, but it is good for Indiana, and I must say, if "Right to Work" protesters occupy it, my mind will be made up--anyone so immature as to give Indiana such a black-eye during an Internationally publicized event can't know what they are talking about when they argue that something is "bad for Indiana."

rep sent

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    This law may actually have the unintended consequence of making unions start busting their chops and trying to earn every penny, thus increasing union membership.

What makes you think that is unintended? Many union members complain that the unions don't really represent their interests now. Forcing unions to compete for membership should make them more responsive to their members views and interests- both on work and political issues.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    If I work in a place that has a union and I decide i don't want to pay dues anymore, RTW allows me to stop, right?

Correct

So do I still get my pay, health insurance, retirement plan, 401K, and anything else that was negotiated AND AGREED TO BY BOTH SIDES

Yes

[STRIKE]or do i have to go HR and negotiate my own pay and benefits?[/STRIKE]

You simply no longer have union representation. Which means 'if you screw up really bad', the union can't and won't help you - your on your own.

It's a 'right-to-work' law... not a 'right-to-not-get-fired' law.

Top Bottom