• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    i dont know how many of you are fimilar with them but if you have ever seen those yellow electric fence insulaters that is the targets we shoot.

probably the most rimfire shooting fun ive had is nick and i racing these insulaters across the field from 130ish to 230ish. it was a blast, i can count how many times i was putting pressure on the trigger onlly to see the insulater go flying, then id do the same to him.

defintally a good day of shooting. i think we went threw 900ish rds between us. plus its great pratice. at 200yds with a 1-1.5inch target and a shooting buddy trying to hit it before you do it make you think fast about your dope and with a sub moa target there isn't much room for error

Yup we have a farm i know what your talking about. That sounds like a boat load of fun. great thing about it 900rds of .22lr only costed about 40bucks,lol. That would be some very good practice for sure.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    While I was off hunting the postman dropped off a 2' square slice of AR500 for me. After setting it up this evening I had enough light to take a few shots with a couple of different 22LRs.

The exercise confirmed that subsonic 22LR has enough go left at 540 yards to flatten the projectile into a coin, and that Ballistic's 540 yard WMT dope is off by quite a bit.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    While I was off hunting the postman dropped off a 2' square slice of AR500 for me. After setting it up this evening I had enough light to take a few shots with a couple of different 22LRs.

The exercise confirmed that subsonic 22LR has enough go left at 540 yards to flatten the projectile into a coin, and that Ballistic's 540 yard WMT dope is off by quite a bit.

what optics are you running? what range do you have to stop dialing and start holding?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    A Premier Heritage on a 20 MOA base, needed about half the elevation holdover the reticle offered. If it gets much colder it might be off the chart.

Had a NULA 20 with me, with a 6x Sightron, but had to move in considerably closer.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    A Premier Heritage on a 20 MOA base, needed about half the elevation holdover the reticle offered. If it gets much colder it might be off the chart.

Had a NULA 20 with me, with a 6x Sightron, but had to move in considerably closer.

thats one of the few high end scopes i have not tried. how many moa/mils were you holding to get to 540 yds?

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I've got a 452 with techsights. It's a military trainer version. I love it so very much. How do they make them so accurate? I've never been more accurate with any rifle in so many different ways. Bench, unsupported, any way I shoot it, it's like a rifle that doesn't want to miss. All with cheap bulk ammo.

I haven't taken it rabbit or squirrel hunting yet, but it doesn't seem like it would be sporting.

I'm beginning to attribute magical qualities to it.

I feel the same about my Ruger 597 in 22mag. Synthetic stock, 3.5 to 10 Bushnell Scopechief, Harris bipod. I sighted it on Cattails and leaves floating on the pond at 100 yards. Head shots on squirrels at 100 yards is boring. Spooky accurate.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Yes 2' square. If it were 2" I'd still be hiding from the black helicopters. I'll also note that it wasn't a first round or even first mag hits. And no wind.

It took roughly 31.5 mils over a 100 yard zero. The reticle has 10 mils of elevation in it, and the holdover was in the bottom half.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yes 2' square. If it were 2" I'd still be hiding from the black helicopters. I'll also note that it wasn't a first round or even first mag hits. And no wind.

It took roughly 31.5 mils over a 100 yard zero. The reticle has 10 mils of elevation in it, and the holdover was in the bottom half.

:shady::whistle: I wouldnt say a word:D, Nice shooting thats a heck of a shot.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Today's Range Trip

Well got the GSG5 out today sighted in a cheap a1 optic red dot at 25yrds. Got my best groups of the day today with the GSG. The winds were harsh today. I shot my 802 plinkster at 50yrds with varying results due to wind. I have never really shot that much in winds so it was a test of my skills for sure. Needless to say i need more practice with reading wind:D. But fun non the less, still got a few nice groups out of the plinkster. ( plus I need a better .22 target gun and scope on it wouldnt hurt:laugh:). I used federal bulk and CCI stingers. The federal has some issues in the GSG with a few miss feeds, some of them seemed like the case was a little to big to fit in the chamber and Id have to manually pull them out with a flat head screwdriver:dunno:, but I guess you cant expect much from bulk but it did ok in the GSG, and did perfect in the bolt actiion rifle. The CCI performed flawlessly in both guns. I tried shooting some 100yrd groups with the plinkster but it had varying results due to wind, so no real good groups, did have a couple 3' groups not bad for the wind that was out there today and me being a noob to wind reading. As I said I think better equipment would help. I did add some weight to the butt stock of the plionkster and that did seem to help hold the rifle a little more stable on the bench.

GSG Groups 25yrds:
    22lrgsgjpg.jpg

Plinkster Groups 50yrds:
    22lrMossjpg.jpg

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    yes this.

i can hit a 1.5 inch piece of plastic at 200 yards w/in 25 shots on a good day if the wind isnt to bad.

I am not questioning your ability,I just don't understand some of the terminology.Where I come from we shoot at squirrel's heads plum up in the top of that big beech tree!! I did own a Winchester 52 c for a long while that would shoot one hole groups at very long .22 range.It had a Lyman target-spot scope on it.Seems like conditions would have to be dead calm to be consistent at 200 yds with .22 long rifle.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I am not questioning your ability,I just don't understand some of the terminology.Where I come from we shoot at squirrel's heads plum up in the top of that big beech tree!! I did own a Winchester 52 c for a long while that would shoot one hole groups at very long .22 range.It had a Lyman target-spot scope on it.Seems like conditions would have to be dead calm to be consistent at 200 yds with .22 long rifle.

what terminology do you not understand and i will explain it for you.

conditions do not have to be dead calm once you spend enough time on the range to know how to read them and adjust for them properly as they change.
    I am not your average plinker. I change my windage hold if i think the wind has changed 1/2 a MPH at that distance, and i will add or subtract a click or two of elevation depending on the temperature and if my ammo is sitting in the sun or the shade.

It also helps the my spotter uses the same gun/ammo and is able to call my shots and call my adjustments perfectly. we are always on the same page when shooting to it makes follow up shots have a much better chance at being successful.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    what terminology do you not understand and i will explain it for you.

conditions do not have to be dead calm once you spend enough time on the range to know how to read them and adjust for them properly as they change.
    I am not your average plinker. I change my windage hold if i think the wind has changed 1/2 a MPH at that distance, and i will add or subtract a click or two of elevation depending on the temperature and if my ammo is sitting in the sun or the shade.

It also helps the my spotter uses the same gun/ammo and is able to call my shots and call my adjustments perfectly. we are always on the same page when shooting to it makes follow up shots have a much better chance at being successful.

Sounds like I need some advice from you Indy, the wind was giving me trouble today, lol

Top Bottom