• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SouthernStar25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 6, 2013
    West Of The Fields
    So glad I had the chance to see the Allmans with Dickey many times. It's a real shame he and Brother Greg couldn't patch up their differences in this life. Sure hope Dickey, Greg, Duane, Berry and Butch are playing a killer version of Mountain Jam in heaven.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My wife just texted me about it. There’ll never be another guitar duo like him and Duane. I was just listening to blue sky yesterday, and as usual, it cheered me up.
    My car radio doesn't work, but the CD player does, so I keep a CD in it all the time. Allman Brothers' Decade of Hits is in there now and of course "Blue Sky" is in the regular rotation.

RIP Dickey.

"People down in Georgia come from near and far
    To hear Richard Betts pickin' on that red guitar" -- Charlie Daniels

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My car radio doesn't work, but the CD player does, so I keep a CD in it all the time. Allman Brothers' Decade of Hits is in there now and of course "Blue Sky" is in the regular rotation.

RIP Dickey.

"People down in Georgia come from near and far
    To hear Richard Betts pickin' on that red guitar" -- Charlie Daniels
    Speaking of Georgia, if anyone that has even a mild interest in the ABB should make at least one trip to Macon.

Me and my wife have been there several times, there is Allman Brothers history all over that town. Rosehill cemetery where the brothers hung out and found inspiration for some of their songs, and Gregg, Duane, Berry and Butch are now buried there (I’m assuming Dickie will join them there), it’s also where a few famous photos of the band were taken.

The bighouse where they all lived is now a really cool museum, I got a close up look at Duanes goldtop les Paul, thanks to us being the only visitors there when they opened and the guy working there got it out of the display case for us.

We even drove to the intersection where Duane crashed his motorcycle. All kinds of places in Macon that were important in the Allman Brothers history.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    Speaking of Georgia, if anyone that has even a mild interest in the ABB should make at least one trip to Macon.

Me and my wife have been there several times, there is Allman Brothers history all over that town. Rosehill cemetery where the brothers hung out and found inspiration for some of their songs, and Gregg, Duane, Berry and Butch are now buried there (I’m assuming Dickie will join them there), it’s also where a few famous photos of the band were taken.

The bighouse where they all lived is now a really cool museum, I got a close up look at Duanes goldtop les Paul, thanks to us being the only visitors there when they opened and the guy working there got it out of the display case for us.

We even drove to the intersection where Duane crashed his motorcycle. All kinds of places in Macon that were important in the Allman Brothers history.

I was there last month. Unfortunately the museum was closed the days we were there but we visited the cemetery. We spent a couple hours there walking around and finding the gravesite. Lots of history there beyond the graves of Duane, Greg, Berry and Butch. You will also find the inspirations for the titles of a couple of the band’s early instrumentals. IMG_1340.jpeg IMG_1339.jpeg IMG_1336.jpeg IMG_1342.jpeg IMG_1322.jpeg IMG_1338.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
      IMG_1337.jpeg
      759.6 KB · Views: 4

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dicky played at the patio in broad ripple in about 1988. It was blues jam night so anyone who walked into the bar could play on jam night. I think his band had already played at the Vogue earlier that evening. Betts, Hall, Leavell and Trucks I think might have been what played the vogue or great southern. I was dating a waitress and a good friend of the owner of the patio chubbie.

Top Bottom