• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just saw this on 6 News, 1 against 3 multiple shots. Dirt balls are heading farther west everyday, time to wall off Raceway road, and make Marion county pay for it!;)

Last edited:

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I heard the news say gunfight. They also mentioned it was a firearms instructor that took on three armed robbers. And no one was hit......

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just saw this on 6 News, 1 against 3 multiple shots. Dirt balls are heading farther west everyday, time to wall off Raceway road, and make Marion county pay for it!;)
    Mayor Hogsett says he's not paying for it, but he's paying for it :laugh:

The local news has a different take on "west" than the rest of us. For me it's west of 465. For the news-types it's west of Meridian St. This was east of Lynhurst so that's at least a half-mile east of 465.

Don't get me wrong, Raceway Road is the demarcation line. We may need a wall and a moat.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The three suspects and two others were inside the SUV, all believed to be related to nine robberies in the last three days.
    I'm guessing they were inside the vehicle when this guy engaged the baddies. This could've gone real bad even with just the three in the BK.It came out good and the bad guys are in the slammer so that's a positive. Nobody got hit, I wonder how often that happens? Paging BBI...

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Should have gone back in with his rifle. Don't know if that would have made the teens think twice about engaging the instructor. In the end I'm glad the instructor made it out alive and no innocent people were hurt.

bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    The local news has a different take on "west" than the rest of us. For me it's west of 465. For the news-types it's west of Meridian St. This was east of Lynhurst so that's at least a half-mile east of 465.
    High School Road, which closely parallels I-465 from 56th St to Kentucky Avenue, is 6300 west. The BK is at 5100 west.

That said, the bad stuff is definitely moving west. Brownsburg cops talk about seeing a regular procession just about every night of the same vehicles carrying the same possible miscreants heading west from Marion County. Those of us who live out here sometimes think getting pulled over for a burned out license plate bulb is over-policing. But, you never know if one of those traffic stops might nail a guy with outstanding warrants. It's not a wall, but a thin blue line.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If they close the Kmart at 465, Plainfield is lost! Walmarts is already full of undesirable locals, add in the Raceway jumpers, all will be lost!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Just my take, but if he saw them go in already weapons drawn, why confront with the Captain Save a Ho "freeze"? You got the drop, the guns are drawn showing intent to commit serious bodily harm, FREE (or at least reduced rate) shoot? BTW, not call him CSAH, just wondering why go in with the warning and lose the element of surprise? Actually posed as a legal question as well, do we have to give opportunity to surrender?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Call me Cynical Stanley, but I'm not sure this is a great example of defensive gun use.

Drawing, and yelling, some version of "Freeze" is not a great tactical decision. I don't mind him going back in to see what transpires. But if you're going to draw, you'd probably better start shooting, especially when outnumbered.

It was not clear from the story, but it sounds like these thugs used guns to induce fear, but hadn't actually shot anyone. Clearly, they were capable of it. But the decisions that led to this shoot-em-up endangered other people in the BK.

Now, this is totally MMQB. But isn't that what AARs are supposed to be?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, this is what I get for trying to carefully craft my post, and take too long to do it.

Just my take, but if he saw them go in already weapons drawn, why confront with the Captain Save a Ho "freeze"? You got the drop, the guns are drawn showing intent to commit serious bodily harm, FREE (or at least reduced rate) shoot? BTW, not call him CSAH, just wondering why go in with the warning and lose the element of surprise? Actually posed as a legal question as well, do we have to give opportunity to surrender?
    This is not legal advice to you or anyone else, but generally, once there is a reasonable fear of death or significant bodily harm (might not be the exact words, going from memory), then deadly self defense is justified.

The rest are just details. Warning shot (an INGO tradition), polite request to disarm (and/or disrobe), direct order in command voice to cease all hostilities (and do pushups), are all optional. Those actions may suggest a certain narrative to police/prosecutors/judges/juries, but the self defense statute does not speak to that. As far as I can remember.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up just "West" of this location. I live NW of it now and occasionally roll through the drive threw for a breakfast sammy.

The thugs and low lifes are everywhere including outside 465. If there are section 9/hud apts in the vicinity they are there. They have cars. They come through areas looking for soft targets.

That a firearms instructor missed is a bit disheartening to me. I understand **** bag low lifes missing but not a trained instructor.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If they close the Kmart at 465, Plainfield is lost! Walmarts is already full of undesirable locals, add in the Raceway jumpers, all will be lost!

To all who think they live in a safe area most of the undesirables you see at the local wally are....well.....local.

Top Bottom