• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I rolled through a town Craft and Car Show in Alexandria yesterday afternoon and was approached by this clean cut gentleman in a suit carrying a clip board.
    Introduced himself as Robby Slaughter running as an Independent Candidate running for U.S. Congress in Indiana. He was trying to get enough signatures to be put on the ballet. We talked for a few minutes and he pushed he was a Constitutional believer, he pulled out a pocket sized Constitution a few times during our time talking. Surfed him a bit on the web and it seems he cut off a bunch of hair recently. He said he lived in Carmel and was from Texas.
    He seemed sincere, but I just got a feeling like hes a bit oily like Saul Goodman. I very well could be wrong, but who knows.
    This is his business card he gave me, Anyone heard of this man before?

20240505_070643.jpg

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    That’s me! It was the end of a pretty hot day in my suit and tie so if I came off as oily that might have been fatigue plus temperature. :)

Happy to answer questions here. I also do try to make it to gun shows in our district (Madison, Hamilton, Tipton, Howard, Delaware, and Grant counties) so you can look for me there as well.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That’s me! It was the end of a pretty hot day in my suit and tie so if I came off as oily that might have been fatigue plus temperature. :)

Happy to answer questions here. I also do try to make it to gun shows in our district (Madison, Hamilton, Tipton, Howard, Delaware, and Grant counties) so you can look for me there as well.
    LOL. Well somebody knows you, I'll give you props for wearing a suit in that weather. You really did remind me of Saul Goodman with your new haircut. Glad you signed up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Happy to answer questions here.
    What are your thoughts about getting rid of the NFA?

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    What are your thoughts about getting rid of the NFA?

Great question!

In short: Yes, the NFA needs to go, but there's lots of work to do to get there.

A slightly longer answer is that there are two major problems with the NFA. First, it doesn't represent our current culture around firearms. It was written mainly in response to organized crime of the Prohibition era, which is not something we see much of today. And second, the NFA is part of a much larger problem overall in our government, which is that Congress has delegated so many duties to agencies that don't have the level of accountability of elected officials.

With firearms, this is the ATF and to a lesser degree the FBI. These government offices are massive with tens of thousands of people working in them. It's extremely hard for the average person to keep tabs on wha they are doing or provide any feedback. So while we should have appropriate rules around firearms that match what modern Americans want and need, those rules need to be made in plain view of the public and done by elected public officials.

Repealing the NFA doesn't solve either of these two problems, although it is an essential step. To repeat: Yes: the NFA needs to go, but there's lots of work to do to get there.

Thanks @DadSmith for the question!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Welcome to the INGO!

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Dammit, I misread the title as “robbery slaughter for U.S. Congress” and thought for a minute that the hero we needed may have finally surfaced!

But maybe ROBBY Slaughter can help some there, so welcome aboard!

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Please explain that if 1934 and 1968 NFA are removed why would it not solve today's issues with them?
    Because these laws and a dozen others have contributed to a massive interconnected network of procedures, government operations, regulatory frameworks, and case law. It's like trying to tear down a house by removing the brick that happened to be the first brick that was laid. Sure, you might cause a little bit of damage but most of the house is still there---but even less functional.

Another way to look at it this: we've been operating under a federal gun regime for nearly a century. It will take more than a single act to unwind all of that. And in any case, firearm technology and firearm culture have shifted significantly since the 1930s, so what we likely want as a nation is complicated too.

My fear is the same as with most other aspects of our government: nobody seems willing to do the work with the people to move forward.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Because these laws and a dozen others have contributed to a massive interconnected network of procedures, government operations, regulatory frameworks, and case law. It's like trying to tear down a house by removing the brick that happened to be the first brick that was laid. Sure, you might cause a little bit of damage but most of the house is still there---but even less functional.

Another way to look at it this: we've been operating under a federal gun regime for nearly a century. It will take more than a single act to unwind all of that. And in any case, firearm technology and firearm culture have shifted significantly since the 1930s, so what we likely want as a nation is complicated too.

My fear is the same as with most other aspects of our government: nobody seems willing to do the work with the people to move forward.
    Take a page from this guy he seems to be tearing down the whole building at once.
    1715046268084.png

Next question:
    Where do you stand on abortion?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Are you a gun owner and, have you ever gone through the NFA form process yourself?

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Next question:
    Where do you stand on abortion?
    Going for the softballs first, eh?

I like to point people at these two graphs. First, this one, which tells us that nobody is likely to change their mind:

abortion_history.jpg

And second, this graph, which shows that the broad trend is a decrease in the number of abortions, at least since the 1980s:

SR_24.03.26_abortion_1.png

If we're not going to change anyone's mind soon, then what can we do through government to reduce the number of abortions? Likely our best option is everything else: universal pre-natal health services, no-cost adoption services, widely available birth control, and more childcare options.

And of course what will reduce abortion the most is not something government can do much for direclty: strengthen families. The more support kids get as they grow up through stronger moral teaching, the more likely they to make intentional choices about their own families and children.

More to say, I'm sure, but that's a good summary of my thinking. And most importantly, I'm open to feedback and other ideas.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Are you a gun owner and, have you ever gone through the NFA form process yourself?

No. I presume you are referring to form 4473, the Firearms Transaction Record. I have not gone through this process myself.

I have used firearms for sport shooting with friends and always borrowed from them. My feeling is that if I am going to represent Americans in public office I need to know (and if possible, personally experience) as much as I can about everything that impacts Americans.

So I better head to an FFL and buy something then.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    No. I presume you are referring to form 4473, the Firearms Transaction Record. I have not gone through this process myself.

I have used firearms for sport shooting with friends and always borrowed from them. My feeling is that if I am going to represent Americans in public office I need to know (and if possible, personally experience) as much as I can about everything that impacts Americans.

So I better head to an FFL and buy something then.
    You have loads to read and learn sir.
    Loads...

Top Bottom