• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    No. I presume you are referring to form 4473, the Firearms Transaction Record. I have not gone through this process myself.

I have used firearms for sport shooting with friends and always borrowed from them. My feeling is that if I am going to represent Americans in public office I need to know (and if possible, personally experience) as much as I can about everything that impacts Americans.

So I better head to an FFL and buy something then.
    He's talking about ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6A, 9, 10. Did I miss any?

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Okay, I re-read the 1934 law.

What are your questions?
    I dont have any questions with either one, I've been dealing with it for 40 years.
    What are your plans to eliminate both 1934 and 1968 Acts?
    If elected what will you do for gun owners in Indiana? Nationally as well.
    Give us thousands of members here the reasons to vote for you sir.

Please don't forget answering Post #22

EDIT,,,,
    Tell us what your feelings are with the Pittman Robertson tax that Sportsman pay up to an 11% Federal tax?
    Do other Rights come with a separate Tax like Pittman Robertson or a $200.00 NFA tax stamp? that one has to pay for each NFA Transfer.

I'm not looking for some BS Google/ Bing answer, go and read and learn and get back to me.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No. I presume you are referring to form 4473, the Firearms Transaction Record. I have not gone through this process myself.

I have used firearms for sport shooting with friends and always borrowed from them. My feeling is that if I am going to represent Americans in public office I need to know (and if possible, personally experience) as much as I can about everything that impacts Americans.

So I better head to an FFL and buy something then.
    Oh grasshopper, you have much to learn.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    He's talking about ATF Forms 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 6A, 9, 10. Did I miss any?
    I don't know if you missed any.

Here is a link to Form 1, which I have now reviewed. This form is consistent with Title 26 U.S.C., Chapter 53. I suppose I could review the rest of the forms if you like, but I imagine you're looking for my opinion on these forms, the ATF, and firearms laws in general, which I will expand upon in subsequent posts here.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    200w (3).gif
    Yea, that's like the third line on the top of the form.
    I don't know if you missed any.

Here is a link to Form 1, which I have now reviewed. This form is consistent with Title 26 U.S.C., Chapter 53. I suppose I could review the rest of the forms if you like, but I imagine you're looking for my opinion on these forms, the ATF, and firearms laws in general, which I will expand upon in subsequent posts here.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    What are your plans to eliminate both 1934 and 1968 Acts?
    I do not believe eliminating these acts will be an effective strategy to address the gap between American's views on firearms and the current activities of the federal government. That gap must be addressed, and I will get to that in a subsequent comment.

The reason I don't believe this will be effective is for two reasons. First, it is not politically viable. HR 374 and HR450 were both introduced in January 2023 and referred to a committee but haven't even been reviewed by them. HR 8399 was introduced in July of 2022 and also has had no activity. There have been other historical attempts to expand firearm rights and limit these laws but my understanding is that they have not been very effective. If we can't get Congress to even discuss these bills in a committee it doesn't seem likely they are going to be voted on, much less passed.

Secondly, the effective power of the executive branch has become far-reaching and these days drastically exceeds stated constitutional authority. We have seen countless examples where activities are funded and conducted without the approval of Congress, from seizure of industrial property to wanton arrest and detainment with due process to unsanctioned military actions. This dates back generations, although it is far more expansive today.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    View attachment 354371
    Yea, that's like the third line on the top of the form.
    Again, do you have specific questions? I read the 1934 Act (again) at your request. I looked up a form, at the request of another forum member. If you just want to give me a reading list and have me acknowledge that I've read them, I'll do that.

I'll also ask, are there other candidates for federal office here answering questions?

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Just a word of advice @robbyslaughter, some here are gun rights activists in their free time, some hew study gun laws either for work and/or leisure, some here literally helped get Constitutional Carry passed and hang out at the state Capitol Building during the legislative sessions, some literally helped write Indiana gun policy. Some have been in the gun community longer for more than half a century. Don't feel discouraged when we challenge you, because some here really do know what they are talking about when it comes to gun laws and procedures.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    If elected what will you do for gun owners in Indiana? Nationally as well.

First: I will speak the truth about firearms, both publicly and privately. In my view there are six points that need to be made, and made repeatedly:

1. Freedom is a fundamental American value. That includes the freedom to own weapons and use those weapons in any manner that does not infringe upon the freedom of others.
    2. Right to privacy is also a fundamental American value. That means what you do with your own time, on your own property, and with anything you own is your business and not that of the government.
    3. Almost all firearms and almost all firearm owners in the country are never involved in incidents which result in injury or death. Any regulatory or procedural activity should reflect this statistical reality.
    4. As with any device that is potentially dangerous, responsible design practices, proper safety training, and respect for the power of these devices should be widely encouraged.
    5. All injuries and deaths due to firearms are tragic and we acknowledge we prefer to avoid them whenever possible; and while we mourn these incidents we must discuss them in the context of our understanding of our values.
    6. Reasonable discussions about firearms are worthwhile, and the American traditions of debate, compromise, and transparency are essential to any rulemaking.
    Too often the rhetoric about guns skews one of these points. For example, many gun control advocates ignore the reality of point #3 and focus on relatively rare incidents that make national news. Also, gun control advocates will point to other countries---but these countries have different values and a different culture.

Second: I will work to bring sides together. When was the last time representatives from the NRA and Everytown were in a room together? As an independent, non-partisan member of Congress I will not be required to adhere to a party or a special interest group which is part of the reason these kinds of meetings don't happen.

Third: I am open to new ideas. I think this speaks for itself, given how rarely it seems anything new bubbles to the surface of political rhetoric. But what are the pros and cons of one-way hashed registries (as opposed to the well-trod discussion of traditional registries?) If we want to actually enforce court-ordered surrender, what can balance that to make it fair and appropriate? Is there a future for so-called smart guns, and if so what is it?

As to what specific bills I would support in the future, this gives you some context. I haven't seen anything on the table now that I think makes sense on its own, because these days we don't have real discussion in Congress between varying points of view. Instead, one advocacy group tries to push something through (on all topics, not just guns) rather than actually engaging the public.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Just a word of advice @robbyslaughter, some here are gun rights activists in their free time, some hew study gun laws either for work and/or leisure, some here literally helped get Constitutional Carry passed and hang out at the state Capitol Building during the legislative sessions, some literally helped write Indiana gun policy. Some have been in the gun community longer for more than half a century. Don't feel discouraged when we challenge you, because some here really do know what they are talking about when it comes to gun laws and procedures.
    Much obliged. It's also worth pointing out that as a future member of the House of Representatives, I need to be educated on a huge variety of topics from healthcare to education to foreign policy to military affairs to taxation to space exploration and so on. I care about the issues your members are discussing here, but I will never have the opportunity to spend as much time on them as you all have.

That's why I am here, to learn from you, and to share what I am learning from others.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I do not believe eliminating these acts will be an effective strategy to address the gap between American's views on firearms and the current activities of the federal government. That gap must be addressed, and I will get to that in a subsequent comment.
    I'll start with, as unconstitutional as these gun laws are, its a massive encroachment and they need to go away. Now, we have actually expanded gun Rights across America in the past 2-4 decades.
    And yes, more than a few members/ pro activists are on here. I'm quite certain they are paying good attention to this thread.

robbyslaughter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2024
    Indiana
    Tell us what your feelings are with the Pittman Robertson tax that Sportsman pay up to an 11% Federal tax? Do other Rights come with a separate Tax like Pittman Robertson or a $200.00 NFA tax stamp? that one has to pay for each NFA Transfer.
    I am not familiar with this issue, so I would have to do some reading. But generally speaking, taxes are an awfully archaic way for governments to raise funds and I am support of finding ways to reduce or eliminate them.

I also tend to dislike taxes that are applied to a small set of the population. If we are going to have a tax, it is usually better if it is widespread. This ensures that the representatives passing the law are accountable to more people.

My general understanding that in a given year very, very few Americans will be involved in an NFA transfer. Given that information it sounds like a bad tax to me, at least on the surface.

If you think it is essential that I read up on this particular issue and want to point me to a source, please let me know.

Top Bottom