• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D the Bruce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    New Castle IN
    Looking around for a 45 and dont have thousands of dollars. Ive been researching Rock Island. Heard mostly good things,but id like to hear from some ingoers. Im new to 45's only fired a few in my day so i thought it would be a good starter. Lookn to spend around $500.

smith7.3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    ft wayne
    I would go for it, I would've have bought one, but I found a Taurus pt1911, with better sights, beavertail safety and overall I liked it slighty better. I would still by rock island if the right deal came along. Good luck!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    if you were going that route, I'd consider the extra cost of the "tactical models" worthwhile, you get fiber optic sights, and VZ grips as well as some other upgrades.

johnny45

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    IMO, the RIA is the best 1911 at that price point.....and beats a good many at double that point.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Have you looked at a used Springfield? You should be able to pick up a GI or possibly even a Mil-Spec at that price if you keep your eyes open.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The RIA 1911s are a great gun for the money. Mine is a Compact with a 3.5" barrel and has worked very well for me. My first 1911 was a used Springfield. It's a great gun, but the RIA was a better one. I had more trouble with the Springfield than any of my other 1911s but those issues went away with a complete dis-assembly, cleaning and all new springs and mags. A brand new RIA should work well right out of the box. If you are going to carry it, you should invest in some top notch mags like Wilson Combat mags. I have done that with my Rock, the Kimbers, Springfield and Sig. For whatever the reason, most 1911s seem to come with good range mags but I don't know if I'd trust my life to stock 1911 mags.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    My full size tactical has been a great gun, not fussy about bullets or magazines and as accurate as other 1911s costing twice as much. The tactical is a few dollars more than the GI, but I think it's worth it and it'll still come in under your $500 mark.

<<<<<That's it over there, after a little crown polishing, just for the heck of it.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    R.I.A..

I can't say enough good thiongs about RIA i have a tactical full size 45 cal.. ,a compact 45 cal ,a 9 mm F.S.tactical, A compact tactical 9mm,and a mid size 45cal.Never had a problem with any of them.I carry the compact 45cal.Never had to use Customer service for repairs. but they found me(made up in their shop) the 9mm compact that i had been trying to get for 10 mo.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    I bought one 2 yrs ago and I love it. I've put 1000+ rounds through it with no problems. Well worth the money and I don't mind all the wear on it from being in the holster. Well worth the 400+ I paid for it.

djhuckle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    I am looking at 1911s too and think the RIA is a good deal, but some research has pushed me to the STI Spartan. Seems they take the Armscor (non-branded RIA) and put better internals in it for their lower end (<1200 or so) production guns. The Spartan is about $635 street I think. That gets up closer to the $7-800 Springfield/Remington/Sig/Kimber level, but there are little to no negative reviews about STI, much like RIA.

I've put this link up before a couple of times - good info. http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts

The STI Spartan V « STI INTERNATIONAL

BudS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Jeffersonville, IN

I've owned countless 1911's and I can recommend without a doubt, the RI'sare good shooters. I've owned several, and my CS-Tactical is my main EDC. Idon't think you would be disappointed.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    RIAs are cheap enough. I've had 3. One was a very good operating gun. The second had a few issues that finally got worked out. The last was total crap. Horrible frame and wouldn't feed any ammo.
    Having been a RIA owner I can say it's hit or miss.
    Most of them shoot well and are ok guns.
    People seem to love them. I havent figured all of it out but I think they've just become 1911 addicts because of the design, feel, and caliber/weight of them.
    It seems to be a decent entry level 1911. I might buy another if the price was right and I had some extra cash laying around I didn't have use for.

Top Bottom