• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I've had my RIA FS for about 6 years now.....round count 2000-2500,had some FTF problems in the first 200 or so rounds....replaced the Novak mag that came with the gun with mags from Wilson's and the FTF went away.........you take chances no matter who makes the gun..or car....or coffee maker....I've seen Smith's and Rugers that had to be returned several times(yes,fewer of these than less expensive guns)......it is a mass produced mechanical device.......be prepared for the possibility of problems,and rejoice if they don't appear........I would not hesitate to buy another,or recommend the RIA to someone looking for a good budget shooter

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    Just curious are these at most tables at the 1500? I am planning on getting a 9mm tactical. Every gun takes a break-in period. I have a new S&W 1911 can't get it to run for anything first 400rds, a total hit and miss, changed mags seemed to help, now it is consistant!

hueycrew

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Cabot
    Tatical Model in 45 ACP for me has been flawless. Look at the STI Spartan model too. Dawson Precision has them. Has Armscor parts with STI. Both 9mm and 45 ACP

I really like my RIA pistols. Good price and good quality.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have the CS model Rock Island 1911 officer sized. I haven't had any issues with it but then again it also has less the 500 rounds through it with the modifications I've put on it. So far it has been pretty reliable.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just curious are these at most tables at the 1500? I am planning on getting a 9mm tactical. Every gun takes a break-in period. I have a new S&W 1911 can't get it to run for anything first 400rds, a total hit and miss, changed mags seemed to help, now it is consistant!

I don't think they should.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Have 3-4..somewhere in that amount. What do I like best..my Kimbers...all the way. For the price though you're going to give for an RIA....I'd go with an STI.
    STI slide to fit is more tight. The slop is quite noticeable between the 2.
    My STI is more tight than all my Kimbers are.
    My shot groups are quite better with the STI over the RIA.
    Both are made in the Phillipines but I think the STI QC is better than the RIA

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think they should.

Agreed... I don't buy it being acceptable that a break in period is required for a gun.

I always put a good amount of carry ammo through a gun to prove to myself that its reliable with a particular brand/type of ammo, but that is different than accepting that a gun requires a break in period to function properly.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've had the RIA full size for about a month now. 442 rounds through it.
    The original mag was crap. 3 out of 8 FTF. I switched to a CMC 8rd and it's been flawless since.
    Accuracy is good, gun is built well. Ugly matte finish but it's an EDC I don't worry about scratching or "mistreating".
    Plain Jane sites I can't see when shooting at a dark background so I'll have to change out the rear.
    I'll also change out the dovetail and trigger on it.
    I figure about $250 in mods on it so my initial cost went up that much.
    In all fairness it's a good entry level gun for the money IMHO but by the time I get it to where I'm wanting it, I'll have as much in it as I do in my Kimber Custom 2.
    Then again, it's what I'm used to and a "Plain Jane" isn't what I want.
    Spend a couple hundred more and get a better gun.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I had some issues in the first 50 rounds or so, but after that its run great. Get some aftermarket mags though, the ones it came with were complete crap.

Personally I don't consider anything in the first 100 or so to be indicative of performance, as with all mass produced handguns there is just some break-in that needs to happen. If your still having problems with round 101 then its time to get it worked on

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This may be heresy, and I'll admit I prefer my other 1911s overall, but . . .

If I had to go to a gun store and pick a 1911 and it had to function right from the box, I'd pick an Armscor/RIA (and some good magazines).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This may be heresy, and I'll admit I prefer my other 1911s overall, but . . .

If I had to go to a gun store and pick a 1911 and it had to function right from the box, I'd pick an Armscor/RIA (and some good magazines).

If it had to be in the RIA price range (or less), I'd say the same for the ATI.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Interesting fact, My RIA came with a ACT mag made in Italy. I recently recieved a Nighthawk mag, which was a ACT mag made in Italy! One of the cheapest and one of the most expensive both use the same mag company!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So far my Armscor/RIA 9mm has been the most reliable "new from the box" 1911 I've owned.

D'OH!

I had a failure to extract on Saturday with it. The mighty have fallen (again).

If it had to be in the RIA price range (or less), I'd say the same for the ATI.

I've not seen an ATI gun yet, but there is an article about it in the new issue of SWAT. If they make a 9mm, I might try one (I'm not avoiding .45ACP, but at some point you have to admit that you have "enough" of those).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've not seen an ATI gun yet, but there is an article about it in the new issue of SWAT. If they make a 9mm, I might try one

They do...in a couple different platforms. Just not in 1911.
    (I'm not avoiding .45ACP, but at some point you have to admit that you have "enough" of those).
    NEVAHHH!!!
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif
    reputation_redh.gif

mpluers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    My first 1911 was a RIA. The only problem that I ever had with it was traceable to a couple Wilson mags (occasional FTE). You obviously can't say that Wilson mags are cheap by any stretch, and they work beautifully in my other 1911, so in the end I decided that it was just a matter of a particular gun and particular mag not liking each other. Other than that, utterly reliable.

BJMANIS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Muncie
    Buy the Rock Island 45 for $500 put another $500 in it for competition shooting, might as well buy a Colt or Springfield.

Top Bottom