I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK....hang on......:)

I see you are new here.
    This topic has been addressed a few times so I will say welcome and let the members respond.
    I am not a fan of the brand.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If you just want something out of the box to shoot Rock Island isn't a bad choice, but if it's for a custom project get something more expensive. If you're building a hot rod, are you gonna start with a Ford Mustang or a Buick Century?

StreetSoldier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2016
    Milan
    Very true about when buying a firearm BogWalker I just want a hangun now but I know I need to save up for something better but I feel like Rock Island seems reasonable. I want to purchase a Rock Island or a GI series 1911 and mod it myself. Like if I go through with the rock I'm going to put Wilson Combat parts into it

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Depending on what your expectations are, the Rock might be fine or you might be selling yourself short by going that route. If you are looking for a first 1911 to learn the platform and then to do a couple of mods, like upgrading the ignition components, then the RIA may serve you well. If you are looking to build an heirloom project gun that has the best of everything and will be handed down for generations, you would probably be better off starting with a Colt.

My second 1911 was an RIA Compact and that gun has been my project gun for just about anything I've wanted to try to do. When I rebuilt a Colt Delta Elite, the RIA got all of the stock Colt internal parts. While working on that gun, I learned a lot about the difference between a cast and forged frame. All in all, it has been a great gun for me and only starts to stutter if I don't keep up on the 400 round recoil spring change. Most compact 1911s share a very short spring interval.

In my opinion, the main thing you will have a potential issue with in an RIA is lower grade MIM parts. MIM is used everywhere now days, even in the manufacture of turbine engine compressor blades. But, MIM varies in quality and you tend to see more anecdotal evidence of failed RIA MIM than the higher end guns. If the gun is a range toy, then that's not an issue. It will be frustrating, but RIA will make it right or it becomes an opportunity to learn how to upgrade a 1911. If it is a carry gun, then I am in favor of maintaining it like a commercial aircraft. In other words, replace what might fail, not what did fail.

For the most part, RIA seems to have their machine work down pretty well. Not to say that there are not tool marks around, but more that the ramp angles are correct and the bed and vertical impact surfaces are done right. With decent parts replacing the MIM, an RIA will probably run well for a decent lifetime of use. As I said above, if it's not a carry gun, then parts replacement is not an issue and you can run the stock gun until parts fail and then have RIA replace them under warranty.

All that said, if the goal is to get a starting point for a custom gun then I'd recommend saving for either a Springfield or Colt. Both have forged receivers and are worthy of a custom build. Back in December, I was seeing Colt 01991s NIB for around $670. They seem to have jumped a hundred bucks right now though. A good Springer will be in the $600 range, but you can find them used for under $600. My only issue with the Springfield is that they use a .220 radius on the grip safety instead of the more common .250. That limits your choices should you want to add a beaver tail grip safety down the road.

Hope this helped.

Edit: If you go with Wilson Combat parts, make sure they are their 'Bulletproof' line and not the standard WC parts. Even then, I'd look at EGW for a complete ignition kit. I've used parts from Ed Brown, WC and EGW and really have come to like the EGW stuff.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Spend another $100 and get into the "rock" series.. If you like it and want to upgrade in the future go to a S&W, Kimber or one of the other mid range 1911s..
    I've had good luck with several RIs and they have lifetime warranty but you do get a little more durable firearm when you go up in price. Just my .02

Rock Series: Rock Island Armory | Armscor International, Inc

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Spend another $100 and get into the "rock" series.. If you like it and want to upgrade in the future go to a S&W, Kimber or one of the other mid range 1911s..
    I've had good luck with several RIs and they have lifetime warranty but you do get a little more durable firearm when you go up in price. Just my .02

Rock Series: Rock Island Armory | Armscor International, Inc

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

I had not seen these before. Any experience with them Charlie?

JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    There a decent beginners 1911, mim parts and decent fit and finish. Plainfield shooting supplies had a Springfield range officer for $709 last time I talked to them and there one of my favorite stock 1911's for the money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There a decent beginners 1911, mim parts and decent fit and finish. Plainfield shooting supplies had a Springfield range officer for $709 last time I talked to them and there one of my favorite stock 1911's for the money.

This......totally.
    These are tack drivers right out of the box. Triggers are average but do "Shoot" in with range time.
    I have 2 right now.

sweendogie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    From what I've read, there are a lot of people that like the RIA and ATI 1911's. Never shot one but I bet it will serve you fine. If you can find a Ruger for an extra $100 though I would go that route.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Some don't like them. I have 2 of the RIA tactical models, 1 in 9mm and 1 in .45 . Both have been good to me.
    Go here - www.1911forum.com down by the bottom of the page its broken down into manufacturer sub forums. Check out all the manufacturers you might be interested in

Jim1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2016
    Danville
    If your going to buy just one 1911 and your not a 1911 fanatic like some of us I agree save your money for a Springfield or Colt... You will be glad you did... Not knocking the 1911's from the Philippine's I own two and love them both no complaints...

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Nope nope nope, honestly at this point the GI style guns just need to go away. Spend the extra cash and get either a Springfield Range Officer or the new Colt Competition Pistol for around the $800 mark. Because the first thing people do with the GI style guns is start updating them with new sights, beavertail safety and thumb safety's. So by the time you add the extras onto the Rock Island you are in it what a ready to go Springfield or Colt would have cost you.

Plus with a 1911 fit is everything, the colt and springer will have a properly fitted barrel, bushing and lockup the fitment of the slide/frame is not as big of a deal. Basically is you can put pressure on the barrel and the barrel slips off the breech face it is not fit right and stay the hell away.

Top Bottom