• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Both the Rock Island and the Citadel are made by Armscor from what Information I can find.

Has anyone had experience with both of these 1911s,and if so what did you think of them?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I have experience with the Rock Island but not the Citadel so I can't speak to it. The Rock Island GI model I have is a solid well made 1911. At 10, 25, and even 50 feet it's pleasantly accurate...more accurate than I am. Very nice and tight machineing and has a few features you might not expect like a nicely polished ranp and barrel, and it has a reliefed ejector on the slide. It fires anything I wan to feed it i.e. both FMJ and JHP reloads, and commercial ball without even one FTE or FTF so far, and I've ran almost 500 rounds through it so far. No rattle and the wear surfaces barely show even the slightest amout of de-parkerization. I spent under 400.00 for mine brand new. I don't know how you can do much better for a GI 1911. I trust it completely and would buy more (if I could spare the cash :-) )

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    The citadel 1911 (i own one) is by far one of the better end 1911's i have seen. not a single FTF or FTE no matter what ammo ya put through it. the lasermax guide rod install requires some dremeling on the reciever, but it works fine as well. any other questions you have, just ask. :)

Bigc177

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westside of Indy
    I purchased this RIA 1911A1 CS about a month ago, and as stated from the posts above... very well made, no malfunctions, will eat anything I feed it, and at an affordable price you can't pass up :rockwoot:

2d57c1ec.jpg

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    2cf92018de6bdfb1eedbdc1f4d9a.jpg

Bought one like this for only $515 new! Beautiful gun and it shoots nice. I have a Kimber Grand Raptor II and I hate to admit that there is not near enough difference in quality to justify $1400 compared to $515. Get it!

Last edited:

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    I echo Gunslingers post about RI's 1911s. I have the two tone tactical model, and its my favorite .45. I hope to get the compact version this summer. Go for it, you won't regret buying one.......or two :D

indianafly

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    I've shot my friend ss citadel. It was a very smooth firing 1911. The frame to slide fit was very good as well. I know he had to have a gunsmith open up the throat of it. It would stove pipe occasionally but now he has yet to have a jam.

JohnBoy1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    I have a ria 1911 tact and my dad has the citadell 1911. Both shoot great and eat anything you stuff in them. The cit has more slide serrations and has a bit more grip then the rock but I prefer the look of the rock better. To each there own and we have no regrets only positive's on the pistols.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Don't discount the other Philipino manufacturers. I have to Metro Arms a Govt and Commander and both are flawless.

A word of advice, use the mag that comes with it for range use only and get some wilsons or chip mccormicks.

BEHalper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I have a Rock Island Hi Cap GI model and I've not had a single problem with it. As soon as I pick up the other 9mm on my list, I have every intention of picking up another Rock 1911 or 2. The action movie watcher in me really wants a matched pair of the tactical models for me to have engraved and customized lol!

tbone1951

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Rocks

I have had acouple and also a High Standard (made in the Phillipenes) they were very nice handgunsfor the money. I believe they the same spec. parts wise as any other 1911.

Terry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Thanks for the input guys I will probably end up with the RI as I have found a good deal on one,it sounds like the citadel and metro arms are good guns as well.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I have both the RIA was a Govt model. I was looking for a RIA tactical when my local FFl was out of the RIA but he had the Citadel. I got it for $500 and Im very happy with it.

Top Bottom