Rock Island Armory Baby Rock .380 Review!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What I've seen is 9mm is cheaper and more available

Unless you reload. .380 is about as cheap to reload as it gets. It uses almost no powder and the 95g lead bullets are cheap. It's been a while since I did a batch of .380, but IIRC, it was done for less than $5 per 50. .380 is my go-to caliber for plinking when .22lr disappears.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Colt had a similar model, got rid of making, now brought back. I like the review, like RIA guns as well. Will be shopping around for one, to see up front. May be a new direction.
    Colt's Mustangs were okay.

osbornk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Marion, Va
    9mm is always cheaper than .380, and better too

I have both and find that 9mm is cheaper and more powerful. However, it's not as bad as it was but 9mm is more available with a better selection. I could get 9mm when I could not find .380. I think they are both equally reliable.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    I have both and find that 9mm is cheaper and more powerful. However, it's not as bad as it was but 9mm is more available with a better selection. I could get 9mm when I could not find .380. I think they are both equally reliable.

.380 is a straight wall case and 9mm is tapered so reliability is better with the the 9mm, just my :twocents:.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Unless you reload. .380 is about as cheap to reload as it gets. It uses almost no powder and the 95g lead bullets are cheap. It's been a while since I did a batch of .380, but IIRC, it was done for less than $5 per 50. .380 is my go-to caliber for plinking when .22lr disappears.
    agreed. 380 is always cheaper than 9mm if you are rolling your own.
    I wonder how the overall finish & quality is on that thing. I've looked at the Browning a few times and for the price, it just feels like a cheap piece of crap.

FirearmPatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    agreed. 380 is always cheaper than 9mm if you are rolling your own.
    I wonder how the overall finish & quality is on that thing. I've looked at the Browning a few times and for the price, it just feels like a cheap piece of crap.

I felt the fit and finish on the firearm was very good. There was no burs or rough spots anywhere. I think the only short coming on the firearm is the parkerized finish. I thought it could be better and would probably have the gun cerkoted if I was going to carry it all the time. Overall the gun was very well made. I was a little surprised about how well made it was. It felt really good in the hand as well. It does have a polymer mainspring which certainly did not impact the function of the firearm. Everything else is 4140 steel.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    My Dad bought a Baby Rock a few weeks ago. I have shot it twice now. It is very accurate at 7 and 10 yards. I was impressed. The second time we shot it it developed a problem with not feeding the last round out of the mag. Dad spoke with someone at Rock Island and they are sending him a new mag. I don't know what he paid for it, but I know he bought it at Cabela's in Noblesville. They are the only place that sells them right now from what I have heard. -jason

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Managed to pick one up a short time back. Has been the only one I have seen. Only place I have seen mags was on Impact Guns, bought 2. Still not been able to shoot it yet, hopefully soon. Fit and finish was not as good as the Browning 380, but I liked the weight of the RI. Like as previous said...would have been better if it was a 9.

Top Bottom