Rock River and Springfield Armory sold out our neighbors in Illinois.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I read it on sofrep.com, I can not believe that the directors of IFMA who are one and the same as the officers of SA & RRA and since SA & RRA are the sole clients of IFMA, did not know what Jay Keller and the Illinois Senate had done.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Sounds like all that are boycotting SA/RRA trusted them,,REALLY? This doesnt surprise me EVEN ONE LITTLE BIT!! smh

Blah!! gimme a break folks!

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    This is the email I recieved from SA:

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for your message and I understand your concerns.

I am hoping the latest statement as of yesterday evening from our CEO, Dennis Reese, will clear up any questions you may have about the issue:

Springfield Armory CEO Dennis Reese Statement regarding IFMA and Gun Dealer Licensing Act (SB1657)

I can assure you that we at Springfield Armory are wholeheartedly against this bill, and we have never been knowingly in support of anything anti-Second Amendment.

Thanks again and I hope you have a great evening.

Best Regards,

Stefany Reese

nailknocker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    I own firearms made by both of these companies. They have provided me with many years of trouble free entertainment. I have been saving my pennies for a while to buy a new SA pistol, I have fondled it, compared it, and lusted after it for some time and would have already bought it when this story broke.

My problem now is, should I go ahead and buy it? It is on the shelf at the LGS, so it has already been bought and paid for, so by not buying it I'm not hurting SA just the LGS, or am I creating a demand for more SA pistols, which in my mind is up to the LGS on what he chooses to stock. Input welcome!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own firearms made by both of these companies. They have provided me with many years of trouble free entertainment. I have been saving my pennies for a while to buy a new SA pistol, I have fondled it, compared it, and lusted after it for some time and would have already bought it when this story broke.

My problem now is, should I go ahead and buy it? It is on the shelf at the LGS, so it has already been bought and paid for, so by not buying it I'm not hurting SA just the LGS, or am I creating a demand for more SA pistols, which in my mind is up to the LGS on what he chooses to stock. Input welcome!

Interesting conundrum.

I would say follow your conscience and fill your desires/needs as you see fit.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

I think if I chose to buy it I would also make sure the LGS understood it was only because he already had it on the shelf and you will no longer be interested in any SA RRA products.

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    Just got an email from SA urging me to stand against this bill:
    The 2nd Amendment urgently needs your help in Illinois!
    The Illinois House of Representatives may consider Senate Bill 1657, legislation that could put state gun dealers out of business, at any time!
    [h=2]It is imperative you share this with friends and family living in Illinois and strongly urge them to OPPOSE SB 1657!
    [/h]

SB 1657 would create onerous mandatory regulations, fees potentially in the thousands of dollars and excessive amounts of red tape that would almost assuredly force the closure of many firearm dealers, and prevent prospective owners from opening new ones. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) already licenses and closely monitors all federally licensed firearm dealers (FFLs) and strictly enforces any violation of federal law.
    SB 1657 goes far beyond federal law and is designed to shut down as many FFLs as possible.
    Again, please click the “Take Action” button above to contact your state Representative and urge them to strongly oppose SB 1657! Stay tuned towww.nraila.org for further updates on this bill.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Just got an email from SA urging me to stand against this bill:
    The 2nd Amendment urgently needs your help in Illinois!
    The Illinois House of Representatives may consider Senate Bill 1657, legislation that could put state gun dealers out of business, at any time!
    It is imperative you share this with friends and family living in Illinois and strongly urge them to OPPOSE SB 1657!

SB 1657 would create onerous mandatory regulations, fees potentially in the thousands of dollars and excessive amounts of red tape that would almost assuredly force the closure of many firearm dealers, and prevent prospective owners from opening new ones. The federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) already licenses and closely monitors all federally licensed firearm dealers (FFLs) and strictly enforces any violation of federal law.
    SB 1657 goes far beyond federal law and is designed to shut down as many FFLs as possible.
    Again, please click the “Take Action” button above to contact your state Representative and urge them to strongly oppose SB 1657! Stay tuned towww.nraila.org for further updates on this bill.

Just got same email.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Got the same email. My reply.

I call BS. You and RRA own IFMA, You are the board of directors. You are the only donors of record. IFMA represents only you and RRA. IFMA has made large donations to both Madigan and Cullerton, Both vehemently anti-gun.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    While all you guys are beating up on two outstanding firearms companies instead of the idiots trying to pass idiotic laws, I purchased a rifle from a gunshop in Moline Illinois.

That shop owner thinks all this furor is silly. No law has been enacted yet. The final version of the proposed law has yet to be formulated.

He appreciated my business considering that I drove 300 miles from Indiana to buy the rifle.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    So, how many small Illinois gunshop owners have you talked to FTF?

I admit I have only talked to one.

Actually it makes sense to contribute to anti gun lawmakers in a state like Illinois. At least the money would give you some clout with those clowns.

It could even be collusion.

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    While all you guys are beating up on two outstanding firearms companies instead of the idiots trying to pass idiotic laws, I purchased a rifle from a gunshop in Moline Illinois.

That shop owner thinks all this furor is silly. No law has been enacted yet. The final version of the proposed law has yet to be formulated.

He appreciated my business considering that I drove 300 miles from Indiana to buy the rifle.

So, how many small Illinois gunshop owners have you talked to FTF?

I admit I have only talked to one.

Actually it makes sense to contribute to anti gun lawmakers in a state like Illinois. At least the money would give you some clout with those clowns.

It could even be collusion.

I generally don't drive 300 miles to a communist state to purchase a firearm. I prefer to purchase them locally and keep the money in my home town/county. It's that whole support local businesses so they remain local thing.

That shop owner may think it's silly right now, ask him how he feels about it in a year if it passes. If he pays any kind of attention at all to Illinois politics and gun laws then he should know that they never have his best interest in mind.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I travel for a living. One of the perks is to stop in at a LGS and see what is in the used rack. I feel sorry for all you guys stuck in your narrow minded thinking about "communist States" etc... Illinois has as many active competitive shooters and ranges as any other state.

Gunowners in Illinois are no different than any other state. They are just outnumbered right now.

I am in Iowa at this moment and I am leaning toward buying a used Anschutz 54 prone rifle that I saw in a LGS today. It is from an estate sale. If I buy it, it will have found a good home. It will never show up anywhere else.

Judgementalism is running rampant around here...

Last edited:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I travel for a living. One of the perks is to stop in at a LGS and see what is in the used rack. I feel sorry for all you guys stuck in your narrow minded thinking about "communist States" etc... Illinois has as many active competitive shooters and ranges as any other state.

Gunowners in Illinois are no different than any other state. They are just outnumbered right now.

I am in Iowa at this moment and I am leaning toward buying a used Anschutz 54 prone rifle that I saw in a LGS today. It is from an estate sale. If I buy it, it will have found a good home. It will never show up anywhere else.

Judgementalism is running rampant around here...

The travel thing makes sense then, I take no issue with that.

I will stand by my opinion on Illinois being a communist state though. It has nothing to do with the shops, shooters, gun owners and citizens. It's got everything to do with the downright disdain from the state government toward it's own law abiding citizens. It has to do with the corruption and cronyism that run rampant through the state and infect every law they they want to govern their people with. It's about those in power thinking they are above everyone else and the rules don't apply to them.

I fully understand that a business exists to make a profit and sometimes decisions are made that aren't popular. However, when the business exists to provide a product to a specific demographic it's in their best interest NOT to lie to and screw over that demographic, especially when it comes to the 2nd amendment. The 2nd is ALWAYS under attack from one group or another and manufacturers should stand together against that attack. There are few other types of products, dealers & manufacturers that have similar circumstances. The auto industry doesn't, they don't have politicians, private groups, billionaires etc trying desperately to eradicate them from the country. They can be in direct competition with each other because their existence is safe. Hell, the government even goes out of it's way to protect & bail them out. It's entirely possible for firearm manufacturers to remain in competition with each other and yet still support each other as well. Most do it everyday.

What Springfield and Rock River have done is nothing close to that. They knew what they were doing and they knew the consequences for everyone else, they just didn't care. They were hoping no one would notice and they got caught. Once they got caught they lied about it and are now waging a spin campaign to try to reduce the damage.

I've never owned a Rock River, I know I never will now. I have owned a few Springfields, but not any more and never again in the future. I wouldn't take either one now if it was given to me.

On a lighter note, be safe on you trip. And bring that rifle back with you, I know you will give it a good home. :yesway:

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

I have no ability to affect those idiots. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say we don't like them and don't like what they stand for. We can affect two gun manufacturers that have, apparently, been providing money and political cover to the idiots.

i am sure he did appreciate your business... what does that have to do with anything. I am sure your local gun shop would have appreciated it as well and could have also given you their political views on the subject of equal insight and value.

Top Bottom