• ...and so much more!
  • clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I like a very light five or five and a half flyrod and a floating white spider or popper for early morning or late evening bluegill. I like ultra light backpacking spinning rods as well. I like a unweighted hand tied white marabou feather about twelve to eighteen inches under a small ice fishing bobber for the spinning rods. Great for crappie just as the ice melts off the lake channel. Also works for small bass and bluegill.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I use a St. Croix Premier 5'6" Lite action rod with a Quantum Energy size 10 reel. Thats as close as I get to ultra light. The rod I like alot, nice and sensitive and loads up well for a light action. That said, the Premier rod is not the lightest availabe but its a pretty good bang for your buck I think. I have a few Energy reels in various sizes, the only real complaint I have about them is they are heavier than a comparable Shimano or Daiwa. My St. Croix + Quantum combo balances out pretty well. If I was looking for a new reel for a light setup, I would probably get a Pflueger Supreme. Check them out, my brother uses them and they hold up to years of abuse.

Side note....I just got a Shimano C14 reel and am trying to figure out what rod to get myself. :D

Last edited:

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I bought a St. Croix rod last summer and IMO is worth every penny.:yesway: It's a 6'6" med-heavy. It's a little much for panfishing but I went this route so I could catfish with it also (even though I have a seperate rod and reel for that). It's outfitted with an Abu Garcia open face.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I really like B&M poles for panfish, 7 1/2 to ten foot. I have lately been using Johnny Morris wide spool UL reals.

XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I use all kinds of rods from shakespeare to Abu Garcia(which my buddy broke) IF I could afford some nice ones G Loomis rods are supposedly amazing compared to the regular poles. They better be for 200 a pop!

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    All the rods and reels I have ever owned were from walmart mostly ugly sticks. I have yet to break a ul, ml or my mh but I did break the end off a extremely heavy duty pole I was using to snag salmon in Michigan. I have decided this year to buy myself a nice pole.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    All the rods and reels I have ever owned were from walmart mostly ugly sticks. I have yet to break a ul, ml or my mh but I did break the end off a extremely heavy duty pole I was using to snag salmon in Michigan. I have decided this year to buy myself a nice pole.

My wife broke a St. Croix rod of mine. Broke the tip off by closing the back door of our house on it. You should have seen the look on her face.:): Lifetime warranty, I think it cost me around $30 in shipping. A nice rod is a good investment if you purchase a reputable brand with a good warranty. Once you start using "nice" stuff, that Ugly Stick is going to feel like a broom stick. Have you ever been to Anglers World Online Home Page in Greenfield? Ive been there afew times, nice people. You can get your hands on some good rods there and see what works for you.

If you want something real nice, Look at the St. Croix Legend Tournament rods. They feel as good to me as the Legend Elite and run about $100 less. Loomis and Kistler also makes fine rods ( I have never had to use their warranty services yet). But im mostly a St. Croix guy, if you couldnt tell already.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    for panfish I use a jigging stick using grizzy jigs, if you guys haven't used grizzly jigs your missing out. they are the only lure I use down at reelfoot lake.(best crappie fishing in the U.S. period)

HOME

Top Bottom