• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    So I got a great deal on a new PSL today; with some trading and swapping and whatnot, walked out the door with it and 40 rounds for $40. Good deal, right?

Now I've got it home, and I've got an issue.....(this is the part where you start laughing at me.)

The bolt is locked open, and I cannot for the life of me get it to close. Tried pushing it, popping the mag in and out, looking it up online....its locked open, and I cannot get it to close into battery for anything.

Is something broken? Do I have a lemon? Or am I just an idiot who can't figure out how to operate this firearm?

Thanks for the help....I'll rep anyone who answers this, and I'll take the laughter and ribbing in stride if possible. :p

EDIT: Nevermind! You can stop laughing now!

Wiggled it enough and it went; no big deal. I need to take it apart and clean it anyway. Lets turn this into a "Woohoo, new gun," thread now, shall we?

ANOTHER EDIT: Anybody know where I can order some cheap 7.62x54R that ISN'T corrosive? I'd like to not have to deal with all of that, if I can help it. Also, I've heard that its bad to fire anything larger than 150 grains out of these; true or false? If true, thats another requirement for my ammo hunt. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dtruck260

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Roanoke, Indiana
    There is a bolt hold open device, remove the mag and look to the back of the well, pics in a second

Two pics, one with it engaged, other with it not, let me know if you need more

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0263.jpg

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Well , I'm glad you got it to "wiggle " right.
    You want to stay away from the heavy ball ammo with the PSL. It was designed to shoot the light ball stuff(150 grains + or -).The heavy ball will beat the trunnion out the back of the receiver.
    Privi-Partisan makes a reloadable, brass cased, non corrosive round with a 150 grain pill. Bought some last weekend in Corydon for $16.50 /20.
    Best I've seen for it was $15 /20 but that was two 1500's ago.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I think Wolf is about your only choice for non corrosive 150ish grain cheapish 7.62x54r

Why so afraid of corrosive? Just clean it when you're done shooting.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    As far as ammo goes, you should run it on some of the lighter stuff. Any military bulk ammo I've dealt with was corrosive, so I would suggest something like Wolf if you don't want to clean it. Oh, almost forgot::postpics:

neraph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Tula, Bear, and Wolf ammo can be found for about $.50/round

You can just use ammoengine.com or gun-deals.com to search around.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Ive run the Tula non corrosive in mine but to be honest, part of the reason to have a PSL is for the cheap ammo.

Most surplus is the same accuracy for me. Just be sure to clean it well when your done and you will be fine. I usually try to limit myself to shooting only one rifle with surplus/corrosive per trip to the range. The others get cleaned eventually, but the corrosive rifle gets cleaned immediatley.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I already ordered 200 rounds of Tula 147 grain non-corrosive ball ammo. I think it was priced at $7.60 per 20. It had good reviews, (many from Mosin's and M44's, but several from PSL's,) so I figure it will probably be ok. After shipping, it came out to be within a couple of fractions of 50 cents a round.

If it doesn't work....I'll just go buy an M44/Mosin to shoot it from, and buy different ammo for my PSL. :D

As for this thread being worthless without pics....
    PSL.jpg

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    congrats on the psl i built my from a parts kit and love it i just run the the corrosive Russian light ball great ammo and easy 1moa groups at 100yds

ShaunB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ANOTHER EDIT: Anybody know where I can order some cheap 7.62x54R that ISN'T corrosive? I'd like to not have to deal with all of that, if I can help it. Also, I've heard that its bad to fire anything larger than 150 grains out of these; true or false? If true, thats another requirement for my ammo hunt. Thanks!

After a quick search was able to find some ammunition choices for you link: Sniper Company

Magtech, Tula, Wolf, & Ruag Ammotec

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I shot surplus out of it today; because that was all my local shop had in stock. I was paranoid about the bore the whole time. :p

Had some trouble getting the scope sighted in; never really got it. Got tired of messing with it and the last mag was just with the iron sights. I'll mess with the scope next time out, after my ammo comes in. I liked the rifle, though; it was pretty consistent, (hitting the same crater two feet to the left of the paper every time,) so once I get that scope dialed in, I think I'll be happy with it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I liked the rifle, though; it was pretty consistent, (hitting the same crater two feet to the left of the paper every time,) so once I get that scope dialed in, I think I'll be happy with it.

In the same boat with my psop scope 6in to the left and 2ft low be nice if the scope only changed the point of impact rather than the whole sight moving. ran 40 through my build so far iron sights are dead on but that scope is a huge pain but once funds build im getting the psop zoom scope with ir (that probly doesn't work) but you have to love that Russian scope.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I like the Silver Bear and Sellier and Bellot brass cased ammo. I usually get the stuff at GM or order it from CheaperThanDirt. Just ordered three boxes today as a matter of fact.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, I got mixed up sitting here at home. We got the windage adjusted perfectly towards the end.....it was just about 3 feet high.

So I got home, (didn't have a screwdriver on hand at the range,) and went to zero the windage dial.....and I turned the wrong part. >.<

Basically, I adjusted the windage to who-knows-what, after taking all that time to get it set. So I'll have to do all that work again when I get back there.

I tried to do a simple bore-sight....layed it up on the table here, and tried to get the scope to point where the iron sights did....so, for right now, its bore-sighted in at about 10 yards; because thats closer than where it was. :p

Oh and one more thing; anybody know where I can find the little rubber eye-piece that goes on the back of the scope? Mine didn't come with one. And a source for spare mags would be nice.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Easiest way to sight in those scopes is as follows:

1) shoot a 3 to 5 shot group.
    2) holding the rifle super still, hold your POA at where you were aiming originally.
    3) adjust windage and elevation using the knobs provided and move your POA to the middle of your group.

You can fine tune from there, but the reticle in the sight actually moves around very noticeably when you turn the knobs, but its pretty course adjustment. After you get it set where you want it with a couple more groups, you can re-zero your knobs and you're all set.

Top Bottom