Romney tied his dog to his roof for a 12 hour car ride...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Honesty don't see a problem with it. If it was a kennel designed to be secured to the car. It would be no different (probably safer) than transporting in the back of a truck or inside the vehicle... If everyone is so concerned about animal safety why does everyone let their dog hang their head out the window? It's not like he tied the dog to the bumper!! THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT FOR ROMNEY, I'm not voting for him.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I heard that Ron Paul's car once went on a 12 hour trip with a dog in a kennel on tied to the roof. When they asked Ron Paul about it, he said that he wasn't driving, he doesn't know who was driving, he doesn't endorse tieing dogs to the roofs of cars, and he's tired of being asked about it.

Then he took off his mike and left the interview.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    In 1983, Mitt Romney (age 36) took his wife and 5 kids on a road-trip vacation. He strapped the family dog to the roof in a pet carrier. He insisted that the only stop he made would be for gas. The dog ended up crapping on the roof of their family car.

This story was released in 2007 as a way to paint Mitt Romney as a family man who handles crises well.

LOL
    laugh.gif

Original story:

The Making of Mitt Romney - Journeys of a Shared Life
    Before beginning the drive, Mitt Romney put Seamus, the family's hulking Irish setter, in a dog carrier and attached it to the station wagon's roof rack. He'd built a windshield for the carrier, to make the ride more comfortable for the dog.

Then Romney put his boys on notice: He would be making predetermined stops for gas, and that was it.

The ride was largely what you'd expect with five brothers, ages 13 and under, packed into a wagon they called the ''white whale.''
    As the oldest son, Tagg Romney commandeered the way-back of the wagon, keeping his eyes fixed out the rear window, where he glimpsed the first sign of trouble. ''Dad!'' he yelled. ''Gross!'' A brown liquid was dripping down the back window, payback from an Irish setter who'd been riding on the roof in the wind for hours.

As the rest of the boys joined in the howls of disgust, Romney coolly pulled off the highway and into a service station. There, he borrowed a hose, washed down Seamus and the car, then hopped back onto the highway. It was a tiny preview of a trait he would grow famous for in business: emotion-free crisis management.

TIME coverage:

Romney's Cruel Canine Vacation
    The incident: dog excrement found on the roof and windows of the Romney station wagon. How it got there: Romney strapped a dog carrier — with the family dog Seamus, an Irish Setter, in it — to the roof of the family station wagon for a twelve hour drive from Boston to Ontario, which the family apparently completed, despite Seamus's rather visceral protest.

Massachusetts's animal cruelty laws specifically prohibit anyone from carrying an animal "in or upon a vehicle, or otherwise, in an unnecessarily cruel or inhuman manner or in a way and manner which might endanger the animal carried thereon." An officer for the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals responded to a description of the situation saying "it's definitely something I'd want to check out." The officer, Nadia Branca, declined to give a definitive opinion on whether Romney broke the law but did note that it's against state law to have a dog in an open bed of a pick-up truck, and "if the dog was being carried in a way that endangers it, that would be illegal." And while it appears that the statute of limitations has probably passed, Stacey Wolf, attorney and legislative director for the ASPCA, said "even if it turns out to not be against the law at the time, in the district, we'd hope that people would use common sense...Any manner of transporting a dog that places the animal in serious danger is something that we'd think is inappropriate...I can't speak to the accuracy of the case, but it raises concerns about the judgment used in this particular situation."

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I see people take hunting dogs in carriers in back of open pickups all the time. Not something I would do but what's the beef here? Somebody just doesn't like Romney or Republicans in general?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm not seeing a problem with it either. I see hogs and cattle heading for the stockyards in semi trailers all the time. Would I put my dog on the roof of my car? No, but I wouldn't get all hippie holier than thou if I saw someone doing it who had made a reasonable attempt to keep the animal safe and comfortable. I'm not voting for Romney, but I'm not gonna buy into all the Obama zombie garbage either.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If I thought this was the biggest problem that Romney had, I'd be supporting him. It's nothing and I'm not, unless I'm left with little or no choice after the primaries. I can't believe trying to paint this as a serious issue.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    If I thought this was the biggest problem that Romney had, I'd be supporting him. It's nothing and I'm not, unless I'm left with little or no choice after the primaries. I can't believe trying to paint this as a serious issue.

Clearly you're just an elephant-sniffing, kool-aid drinking, FOX News believing, Rush Limbaugh ditto-heading, mindless drone who doesn't care about our country.

And why do you hate Ron Paul so?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Clearly you're just an elephant-sniffing, kool-aid drinking, FOX News believing, Rush Limbaugh ditto-heading, mindless drone who doesn't care about our country.

And why do you hate Ron Paul so?

I love me some Rush Limbaugh and some Glenn Beck. Yells to get point across, check. Previous substance abuse issues, check. Insults those they don't like to try to make point stronger, check. What else do I need? They help me form all my opinions and if they don't tell me what to think, well, I have no opinion. :D

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I heard that Ron Paul's car once went on a 12 hour trip with a dog in a kennel on tied to the roof. When they asked Ron Paul about it, he said that he wasn't driving, he doesn't know who was driving, he doesn't endorse tieing dogs to the roofs of cars, and he's tired of being asked about it.

Then he took off his mike and left the interview.

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Seems cruel to me, even with the windshield on the crate, I wouldn't do it.
    Then again I keep my dogs inside and a lot of people don't do that either,
    doesn't make it wrong.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    A year ago while driving to Michigan on I-69, I saw a dog in a kennel that was strapped on one of those trailer hitch cargo racks. It had acrylic secured to 3 sides and he seemed calm, but you would not see me doing that to my pet.

Kinda like this... but wire.
    DogBox002.jpg

Top Bottom