• Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    Not a good idea.

Felon arrested on I-80 driving with handgun on roof of car

A convicted felon from Gary was arrested Tuesday morning after driving away from a Lake Station gas station with a handgun on the roof of his car.
    According to Indiana State Police, officers received a call reporting someone driving eastbound on Interstate 80 with a handgun on the roof of their vehicle just after 5 a.m.
    The caller said the 1997 Mercury exited off of I-80 onto Ripley Street in Lake Station and stopped at a gas station just off of the exit.
    Trooper Marcus Gholson arrived and found the driver, Dereck B. Gray II, 29, of Gary coming out of the gas station with a bag of drinks. Gray allegedly tried to put the bag of drinks on top of the roof to cover up the gun.
    According to Gholson, Gray said he knew he wasn't supposed to have a gun because he is a convicted felon in Georgia, but said he kept the weapon to protect his family. Gray also allegedly told Gholson he was afraid someone would try to steal the expensive rims on his car.
    Police said Gray told the trooper he often carries gun from his home in the mornings to his garage, where he usually leaves it.
    Gholson took the 40-caliber semi-automatic weapon into custody and transported Gray to the Lake County Jail.
    Gray was arrested and charged with possession of a firearm by a serious violent offender, police said.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    I worked hard stealin' 'em from someone else.

You don't know that. Maybe he worked hard and bought them himself. We don't know either way.

Amendment II
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Anyone care to point out where it says that felons are excluded? All I can see is SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Like it or not, felons who are out of jail have just as many rights as you and I, the government tells them otherwise. I wonder if he is also excluded from paying taxes?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You don't know that. Maybe he worked hard and bought them himself. We don't know either way.

1. He's a violent felon in possession of a gun(continues to break the law of the land)
    2. His wheels are worth more than his car.

Im going to have to play the odds on this one.

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)

Amendment II
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Anyone care to point out where it says that felons are excluded? All I can see is SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.

Like it or not, felons who are out of jail have just as many rights as you and I, the government tells them otherwise. I wonder if he is also excluded from paying taxes?

It is still against current law, no matter how those got enacted. Same as someone with marijuana, it's just a plant someone is smoking, but it isn't legal to possess. Break the law, get in trouble. If you don't like the law, you need to work on getting it changed, or face the consequences.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Important to note that the roof of the car wasn't the problem, a felon with a handgun was. Not the best idea, but I suppose you *could* use your luggage rack as a holster!

I'm with lashicoN: Once someone has served their time, they should be a full citizen. If they are still a danger or still need "more punishment" or "more reform", then keep them in prison. Sure, if they become a repeat offender they should get a harsher sentence. But, if they learned from their mistake, why continue to punish them?

</threadjack>

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    buddy of mine's brother is a felon and he has a glock 19 on him all the time......everytime i see him i say "your goin' to get busted"....

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    This is one more for why gun control sucks. That man was even barred from owning a gun, much less carrying it, yet he chose to do both. The law didnt prevent him from doing so, it only caught him after the fact.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I suppose that is a very effective deterrent for "expensive rim" theft. Who is going to mess with stealing your rims when they can grab a gun off the roof?

SedahDrol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

Amendment II

Perhaps SCOTUS's recent incorporation of the second amendment can be used to at least allow felons to have firearms in their homes. Why should their decision to smoke crack when they were 18 deny them the right to defend their family when they are 40 and clean for 22 years. It's a shame that breaking the law in this country can deny you constitutional rights after you've already been "reformed".

In many states you can't vote if you are a felon (though you can still run for political office, it seems to be a prerequisite no matter what party you are these days). If he can't vote he shouldn't have to pay taxes since one of the reasons we revolted was against taxation without representation.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN

Amendment II

I rather agree. If someone can't be trusted in society to possess a firearm, they can't be trusted in society & should still be locked up. Just my :twocents:.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Perhaps SCOTUS's recent incorporation of the second amendment can be used to at least allow felons to have firearms in their homes. Why should their decision to smoke crack when they were 18 deny them the right to defend their family when they are 40 and clean for 22 years. It's a shame that breaking the law in this country can deny you constitutional rights after you've already been "reformed".

In many states you can't vote if you are a felon (though you can still run for political office, it seems to be a prerequisite no matter what party you are these days). If he can't vote he shouldn't have to pay taxes since one of the reasons we revolted was against taxation without representation.

Agreed, and I agree with Minuteman32. If someone is "reformed" they should be "reformed". If someone is almost "reformed" (IE parole) they dont deserve those freedoms until they have been determined to be "reformed". As for taxes, fair enough, but they should (and some do) have to pay for the cost of their incarceration. So, on parole, you are paying no taxes, but paying for your incarceration. "Reformed" you are paying taxes, and have all your freedoms, BUT you should still have to pay for your incarceration, if you have not already.

Our system is so broken.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Hell, lets just let them carry while in Jail also... The 2nd doesnt say infringe on prisoners either.. It also does not infringe on students packing weapons into 3rd grade.

I for one am for the law of not allowing felons to have guns.. If the felony was no to severe the they can get it taken care of down the road..

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I see it as part of the punishment for violating someone else's rights.

Life is full of choices, you should think your actions through.

Top Bottom