• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I wonder where around the Haute they were testing that. Doesn't look like the conservation club out by the airport.

Made my day to see Rose mentioned on the Firearm Blog.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Could it also have been students doing this "at home" and not at school? Who knows where they were?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Rose-Hulman ME '01 alumn here. Glad to see the Profs are still allowing them to have some fun doing real science experiments! :rockwoot:

Reminds me of the "Spark-plug show-down" experiment we did to see if Splitfire brand sparkplugs really did offer "MORE POWER AN BETTER FUEL EFFICIENCY THAN THE LEADING COMPETITOR."

Turns out there was no statistical difference between the cheapest sparkplugs we could buy at the autoparts store and the premium plugs when run on a 305 CID chevy V-8. It was a fun test to run on the engine dyno though!

The other fun test we did was the "High Endurance Challenge." We put Old Spice High Endurance to the test against other antiperspirants and acutally did prove scientifically that it evaporated at a slower rate than the other brands when placed in a 100 deg 90% humidity oven for 48 hours. Don't know if that means anything in the real world, but it was cool to see a difference

One of the keys to learning is sometimes failing. And sometimes just the process of running the expriement teaches us a lot.

Thanks for posting, and I'll stop "geeking out" now. :D

beez1954

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    My dad graduated from Rose (Poly) in 1945. He was the one who got me interested in firearms by giving me a .22 when I was 8 (still have it). I think he would be proud to see his fellow alums conducting these experiments as he was quite a firearms enthusiast.

I am still quite proud to have been his son.

Go Engineers!

GMack_1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2009
    Montgomery Co.
    Mikhail? Eugene? Gaston? Browning? Garand? Unless I'm wrong, none of these individuals had a college education. Brilliance and genius vs. a "college education" do not go hand in hand. That being said, I think what they are doing down at R-H is totally cool.

As a Purdue grad (87'), I'd like to go "geek" again. Mercury in the butt-stock is a non-starter (it's a hazardous material). Adding washers..., i.e, mass to the firearm? And since when has "muzzle flip" been an issue with an AK? Does anyone think those old Ruskie's didn't consider this?

As I said, I'm a Purd-Don't..., everything that goes wrong in the plant is blamed on me (those of you among me can testify). What really reddens my backside is those damed R-H grads..., they are smarter than me!

To prove my point, here are two of the hottest you-tubes coming out of Purdue these days (I'm covering my face in shame)..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xynq4xmCw[/ame]

and this..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Tn4duytoI&feature=related[/ame]

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think what they are doing is along the same line as the AR buffer and spring assembly. That works well due the bolt acting directly on it, vs. the set-up they were running was trying to fight the accelleration of the entire gun from the recoil impulse.

Top Bottom