Rossi Lever rifle quality, want INGO opinions!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A friend back in high school had one (back in 1982/83 in 357. We shot a couple thousand rounds of 38 reloads and it ran and ran and ran. Haven't heard anything bad about the newer ones other than the normal complaints about the locks several makers are putting on guns these days. Was thinking about adding a Rossi to my Marlin lever guns sometime.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have an M92 in .454 Casull that I used last year to drop two doe within seconds of each other.

They ended up no more than about 40 yards apart from each other. One ran one way, the other the opposite direction.

Rossi M92' are nice lever guns in my opinion.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I have a Rossi 1892 in 44-40 and its the most accurate rifle I currently own. Iron sights and my old eyes can hit pie plates at 100 yards all day long. I shoot black powder cartridge, and with the thin cartridge walls, cleanup is easy, with no blowback.

I've been happy with the quality. Metal to wood fits pretty good. No problems after 5 years of cowboy action shooting that I haven't caused myself. (I once put the cartridge stop spring in wrong and it caused me FITS!

I'd recommend the Rossi.

ol' poke

redfox033

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Newburgh
    I've always heard good things about the Rossi. I was going to buy one last year, but I got a deal on a pre safety marlin .44 mag. Love the lever actions!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have a Rossi 24" octagonal in 44 mag and shoot both 44 mag and 44 special. Nice shooter. Also have a Rossi Trapper in 44 mag. I think they are fine guns. The only complaint I have is the quality of wood on the Trapper. The trappers all seem to have the same quality wood. The 24" furniture is really nice but the trapper seems to be lower quality.

Price? I bought the 24" at Gander used (did not look like it had been fired) for $400 and the trapper new (cause I just had to have it) for $450 new at 500 guns.

The nice thing too is that you feel you can use them since they don't cost a fortune. The Winchesters now are close to 1K to buy.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    In my misguided youth I had an Ithica model 72 .22 lever gun. The walnut stock and the fit in finish were marvelous.
    Naturally, I sold it :( to fund something else.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have both the Rossi .44 mag, and .357 lever guns. The fit and finish on both is as it should be. They both function perfect, and have never had a jam with either. They are both accurate.

Dave

MeltonLaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Downtown Indy
    I purchased the M92 from Walmart for $501 plus tax. Has the 24" octagonal barrel and is full blued. With my reloads, 158 gr JSPHP over 14.0 gr of 2400, I had a 1" center to center 3 shot group at 50 yards, which is all the range I had to work with. Dropped two little deer with it this year. Action was smooth enough, but not as smooth as my Henry .22. Furniture was great for not worrying about dings, digs, and scratches in the woods. Though I do oil the heck out of the wood as it feels to lack a good finish. My one and only complaint was the lack of a forward sling point, necessitating the uncle mike's sling post, which is less than great. For the price and the purpose, I'm going to get another in .44mag/spec.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I purchased the M92 from Walmart for $501 plus tax. Has the 24" octagonal barrel and is full blued. With my reloads, 158 gr JSPHP over 14.0 gr of 2400, I had a 1" center to center 3 shot group at 50 yards, which is all the range I had to work with. Dropped two little deer with it this year. Action was smooth enough, but not as smooth as my Henry .22. Furniture was great for not worrying about dings, digs, and scratches in the woods. Though I do oil the heck out of the wood as it feels to lack a good finish. My one and only complaint was the lack of a forward sling point, necessitating the uncle mike's sling post, which is less than great. For the price and the purpose, I'm going to get another in .44mag/spec.

The wood on yours much be like the wood on my trapper in 44 mag, kind of porous and not really pretty. The wood on my 24" octagonal is fine and beautiful.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom