• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If I tried to keep track of how many rounds I have fired, I would only get depressed by how much $$$ I've spent on ammo.
    I started thinking about this the other day when just estimating how many rounds had been through a gun...

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Meh. I don't see why it really matters a lot. Most guns can take a great deal of shooting with only minor parts changes. It sorta becomes redundant after a while anyway, as most of us have others shoot our guns too. And keeping track of rounds, fired by multiple people is an extreme challenge in some cases.

Plus with a proper visual inspection one should be able to tell whether or not the gun is past its days or not.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I keep a rough estimate. Hindsight, id be curious to know more about the round count through some of em. Very few rifles I let sit after shooting and don't clean. I just like clean stuff...

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I keep a record on most of mine. Not that I really need to, I just find it interesting. Plus it does help with planning when it comes to keeping reloading supplies on hand. After these past few years with powder, primer, and bullet shortages I have started gearing towards having a 3 year supply on hand for each gun. Kind of makes you sick when you start adding all of this up but it is what it is!

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Yes, I track rounds on all my firearms in a spreadsheet. I also use it track shooting conditions and results. Finally, it includes photos for insurance purposes.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I try to keep track, but not for any real reason other than I want to know how much I've been shooting. I don't think I'll ever wear a gun out but it's nice to have an idea of how close to a spring change you are getting on the carry guns too. For the most part though, keeping track is just something I like to do with no expectation of it having much value. I only have a couple of guns that have an accurate count though.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Yes, I track rounds on all my firearms in a spreadsheet. I also use it track shooting conditions and results. Finally, it includes photos for insurance purposes.

This is what I envision for myself, I have just never made it happen.
    Although I do have a spread sheet of what I own and values, I also have pics as well.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    NOPE, Nil, none. Many of my firearms are surplus Military, so no way of telling how many shots have been fired. I have never counted shots for the new firearms I own. In reality it really makes no difference in wear to most firearms. You can damage some high power rifles with a dozen hot loaded rounds fired in very quick secession, while allowing the barrel to cool between shots may not damage it with the same rounds in 5,000 shots.

My sons and I have often gone through well over 1K of rounds in a shooting session with multiple firearms, no way I am going to try to keep track. In a single session we may shoot everything from shotguns, muzzle loaders, Hi-power rifles and multiple handguns. Together we have over 100 firearms.

I do check many of my long guns with chamber gages, but don't bother with handguns. I keep my firearms cleaned and lubed properly, change springs as necessary and am quite sure some have in excess of 5K rounds without any noticeable wear. The only records I keep are of cartridge loading for the firearms (velocity, bullet type and weight, and accuracy) even that is sketchy.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I keep an accurate round count for my match rifles. It would be foolish to spend the money for a two weeks at the National Championships and take a rifle whose barrel is at the point it could start throwing fliers at any minute. I do not take them out for plinking/recreation so that makes things easier.

I used to keep the end flaps of shotshell primers for my trap gun. Once I got over 60, 000 primers, and saw how little wear was on the gun, I gave up on keeping track. I put new springs in it every 5 years or so.

My first real Bullseye pistol was a tuned up COLT another competitior shot for 20 years. I had the frame rails and bushing tightened and shot it at least 10 years on the same barrel he had. It is pretty hard to wear one out, so I don't even bother keep track of pistols anymore either.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    My 1994 Springfield 1911 went back to SA and got all new internals. I guess they were worn out. Anywho it still shoots dead on. I used to try keep round count but I lost track after 1500 rounds. Round count to me is a little pointless. If it safely functions and fires it will keep truckin.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I had a young fellow come into the shop one time....He picked up a 1942 Izzy Mosin and looked up at me and said, "What's the round count on this gun?"....It was the first time I could not come up with a response that would make any sense...I just said..."Surplus guns require a little less worry about such things.."

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    My first real Bullseye pistol was a tuned up COLT another competitior shot for 20 years. I had the frame rails and bushing tightened and shot it at least 10 years on the same barrel he had. It is pretty hard to wear one out, so I don't even bother keep track of pistols anymore either.

My first match gun, was a gift from my father, and was also an old Colt that another competitor had shot for many years, I had it Accurailed by Bob Krieger and shot it ever since, I've put over 100K through it myself and still running strong.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I've got quite a few handguns in almost every normal caliber, I'm always buying extra magazines for them. Before I go to the range, I load up the magazines for the guns I'm gonna shoot. That way I can keep track of what I shoot, and how many rounds I go through. I always take my own targets and mark each target what gun, and distance, and date, and rounds fired. When I get home, I take pictures of the targets and I use a website called Glock ID. Once you get on there, you can catalog all your guns, and even store the target pictures for future reference. This helps to keep up with accuracy round count, and keeping up with maintenance on my guns.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I've never considered keeping track. I have no idea how many I've put through my nail gun, either. I perform routine maintenance at the manufacturer's recommended schedule, and I take care of issues when they come up.

Top Bottom