• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    Im lusting for one right now..but they are on indefinite back order. They have yet to begin production of these. RRA says later this year before any of them ship. They take ak mags, and function like a true AR. When i spoke to RRA they are only going to sell whole rifles for a year before they sell just lowers/uppers. But they havent spooled up the production process very hard yet....unfortunately. As far as accuracy goes...The PTR 32 (PTR version of a HK G3 in 7.62x39) gets a little better than My Arsenal Milled with scope, and i can only imagine that an AR based rifle will beat my Arsenal AK...it is an AK after all.
    The Book of the AR-15 (magazine) has a very nice article on them. They are looking to have some nice features, and what looks to be a giant leap forward in the mag release which is placed and functions more like a paddle mag release for HK.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Saw the magazine article and it looked awesome. AK mags, longer sight radius, and all in the familiar AR platform. What's not to like? I bet the price will be way up there though!

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    My only concern is that it will be very picky when it comes to the plethora of aftermarket AK mags. I'm sure RRA will design a nice reliable AK mag and retail for a low price.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What's not to like?

1) The fact that the bolt face must be relieved so much to accommodate the larger case head of the 7.62x39 that the locking lugs are weakened significantly. Lug shearing is a serious problem with all 7.62x39 ARs, and I don't see where the RRA would be any different.

2) The fact that nobody has fielded a successful marriage of an AR-style bolt to an AK style magazine, despite it having been tried by KAC, Magpul/Bushmaster, Excalibur Arms, Special Weapons, and others.

3) The fact that the RRA LAR-47 uses a proprietary upper and lower receiver and attendant small parts.

4) The fact that not all "AK-47" magazines are created equal, resulting in the potential for fit and function problems

but other than that...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Doesn't Sig make a rifle like this?

They make the SIG-556R, a 7.62x39 version of the 556 that takes AK mags. It is a much more straightforward gun, since the 556 (and the 551/552/553 from which it was derived) is already rather AK-like in design. That said, the 556Rs also had their share of problems, mostly quality control related.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wish it was chambered in 545 and took 74 mags. Still, cool concept. I wonder if their would be any chance of the lip fracturing off that the mag rocks into. After all, we are talking about aluminum against steel.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Did you see the price? Last I saw, they were shooting for $1100. That'll buy a hell of an AK.

Very true, but they are priced like the rest of the AR-15 line. If you are looking for reliable, I'd defiinitely go AK. But it would be interesting to see what 7.62X39 is capable of with a free float barrel. Plus it would be much easier to mount optics to.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I saw one of these in a magazine with my friend CPTNervous and he fell in love with the thing. I think its brilliant and if i had the cash to throw around would love to have one

Top Bottom