• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Does anyone own or has shot a new Ruger 10/22 Take Down model? I've been toying with the idea to pick one up just to plink and have some fun target practice with. In the past, ( 15 years ago) I owned a standard Ruger 10/22 and it shot great. Awhile back, I gave it away to my son, and he is teaching my grandson how to use it safely and eventually pass it along within the family. The new gun really appears to be very well made, and breaks apart easily, it also comes with a padded carry case. For the price, $349.00, it looks like a good investment. Any idea or input?

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think you mean the take down? I have a couple along with 3 others versions. I like it. It is breaks down and assembles easy. I haven't put the rounds threw it like my straight 10-22 but I see no real issues. Most of all it is easy to store/hide. I like that. I am happy!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I also like mine! It's my dedicated big out bag gun. I would like it even more if ammo prices were pre Sandy Hook.

Amen on the ammo prices. Lucky I am still shooting my pre-election stash. I am going to have to start buying before the summers up.

Here's one of mine. My daughters favorite to shoot.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'd have bought the threaded model but it wasn't out at the time I bought these! I am going to thread a few of mine.

GunnerJacky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    boston
    I have one ruger 10/22 and recently I have installed magnification scope. It is a nice gun and it is safe to shoot from this gun. I have made shots with it at 100 yards so, it is good use of money to buy ruger 10/22.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    You cannot go wrong with any of the 10/22 family. We love the 2 takedowns that moved in with us a year ago and I just bought a standard one for Appleseeding. Even at current ammo prices/availability, they are still easier on the wallet to shoot than anything else in the safe. Oh yeah, one more thing: Welcome to :ingo:.

Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    Sorry about the wrong name, I meant Take Down! Will anything special have to be done to mount a nice scope on the gun?

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Sorry about the wrong name, I meant Take Down! Will anything special have to be done to mount a nice scope on the gun?

No. Nothing special except for not using super low rings. I made that mistake and I couldn't take the rifle down. The front bell wouldn't clear the front half of the rifle unless I removed the rear site.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I have it and love it. It's got just about 1k rounds through it (pre-panic...)
    Overall - Very fun gun!!!!
    I will say that the ONLY true benefit it offers is the takedown feature. It remains accurate after multiple disassemblies, but the logical side of my brain knows that a fixed ("Regular") 10/22 should be more accurate. I sold my regular 10/22 to get the takedown and have no regrets. The barrel tensioning nut is great and seems to keep it very accurate - enough for my use anyways. I use a red dot which is the perfect setup for this gun. Below, I will list some things that I wish I had known before buying mine.
    Beware: with a meduim size scope it is too large to leave scoped and pack in the bag (I like QD mounts, but then it starts getting pricey and I still would rather leave the optic mounted if I'm using one) No concern with the iron sights if you leave it unscoped
    Beware: after market parts (specifically barrels and stocks) are very limited for the takedown model. Otherwise all trigger kits, etc are universal and should work great.
    Beware: it's not lightweight and there are better options if weight is a true concern (marlin pappoose, and henry survival --- but I trust the 10/22 action INFINITELY more than these others)
    Beware: the bag it comes in is quite bulky. For bug out use this can be a blessing or curse. I can keep 2x 225 remiongton ammo boxes and 4-5 x 25 rd mags in the pouches on the front.

If you don't have a 10/22 - you can't go wrong with this one. Although, for the money, you could buy a regular fixed 10/22 and buy some precious .22 ammo to practice with.
    Enjoy!

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    48563475-EE9F-4F09-9014-416ABBEC8CCE-8023-000007EF4B655052_zps847f7289.jpg

Love it, even though I've not shot it yet :):

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

It's easy. There are 4 screws on the top of the receiver. Remove them and buy the Weaver rail or something like it. Use some red loctite on the screw and don't get carried away tightening them. As mention, the lower profile rings won't get most scopes high enough.

You can use the lower end scopes if you want. The gun is not hard on scopes. But you get what you pay for in a scope. I'd add a bolt buffer. that's about all you need to do to make a great plinker. I have Volquartsen and Kid triggers and have done trigger jobs on a few of mine but it's not a "needed" thing. the 10-22's are just a great little rifle that you can get a lot of stuff for. Or you can just shoot it right out of the box and have a ton of fun!

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    It's easy. There are 4 screws on the top of the receiver. Remove them and buy the Weaver rail or something like it. Use some red loctite on the screw and don't get carried away tightening them. As mention, the lower profile rings won't get most scopes high enough.

You can use the lower end scopes if you want. The gun is not hard on scopes. But you get what you pay for in a scope. I'd add a bolt buffer. that's about all you need to do to make a great plinker. I have Volquartsen and Kid triggers and have done trigger jobs on a few of mine but it's not a "needed" thing. the 10-22's are just a great little rifle that you can get a lot of stuff for. Or you can just shoot it right out of the box and have a ton of fun!

Out of curiosity, do you prefer the Volquartsen or Kidd, (price considered).

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Out of curiosity, do you prefer the Volquartsen or Kidd, (price considered).

I really like both equaly so I'd go for what's the deal at the time. My own trigger job came out great too but it's not a simple job. It's easy to make one unsafe. Drop in is the easy way.

Top Bottom