Ruger 10/22 Target models worth the cost and weight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    So, for a gun intended to be a squirrel slayer, bunny bopper, and casual target and plinking gun, what say those of you with hands on experience with the target and standard model 10/22s?

What kind of 50 yard accuracy could I expect from either model with a decent scope?

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My crappy brand new Mossberg 802 fills that bill. I have an inherited Marlin Glenfield Mod 25 that is extremely accurate (pre serial #). I love a bolt action, I have owned a few 10/22's in the past, but always go back to the bolt. I'd put my glenfield up against any stock Ruger anyday. The 802 does a good job as well for being docked and threaded at 16.5". My :twocents:, if you're not shooting competitively, and know what your .22 like to eat, the cost / weight of the target models is negligible. You will still have to find what it likes regardless of bbl weight. For the purposes you have mentioned... save your money, buy more ammo.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    My standard 10/22 is a tack driver at 50 yards with an inexpensive Tasco scope on it. For the price difference, a better trigger and a better scope would probably make it a tack driver out to 100 yards.

My 2 cents, stick with the standard, use the saved money on a better trigger and nice scope. Oh, and some ammo! :D

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    You're not going to gain much off hand with the target 10/22 vs the standard carbine...other than weight. the 10/22 carbine or sporter will make a great woods gun or casual plinker.

GregD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Madison County
    I've had my 10/22T for several years and I really like this rifle. From a bench with SK standard plus I can stay under a half inch at 50 yards.

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    I have a 10-22 target model in stainless that shoots subsonic Remington HP's in super groups over a bench. I bought it to squirrel hunt with, but it's too heavy to carry through the woods all morning for this old man. I prefer my contender carbine that is shortened to 18". Sooner or later I'll get rid of the 10-22.

baldguy637

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Montgomery County
    I have a stainless/syn. 10/22 carbine topped with a cheap simmons 3-9x40, even with cheap fed. bulk pack i wouldn't be afraid to take a head shot at 50-60 yds. I've never benched it, but it's taken plenty of squirrel, rabbit, birds, ect...... I've had the gun for 13 yrs or so, and have put thousands and thousands of rounds through her with no problems at all.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Target Tactical

If you are considering the Heavy barrel from Ruger look at their newest model. It is called the target tactical. It has the same Hammer forged barrel but is 16 inches instead of 20 and has a Hogue Stock instead of the laminated wood. I love my Rugers but have never bought the 10/22T because it is very heavy.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Get the one with the longest barrel. That will put the front sight out there further, for a better sight picture. The carbineshoots nice, but, the targets are a little better. Put sling mounts on it and your good. Really look at the sights, factory sights are limited on adjustment. You cant go wrong, any one you get will be worth taking to the woods.

OutaAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    10/22T

Sure like mine. Had it since '96. I don't find it that heavy and I do have other 10/22's with std barrels. A Simmons 44 Mag 3-10X scope sits on it. Last Appleseed I attended I shot 3 AQT targets in the 220's with Federal bulk ammo. I would buy another one.

ELMO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Kokomo, Indiana
    I've had a standard 10/22 for 35 years now and I use it alot to squirrel hunt with. I mainly shoot bulk ammo out of it and the little rifle has be very dependable.....

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I would go with the sporter model over the carbine or target for a squirrel blaster. A litter longer sight radius than the carbine, and a lot lighter that the target. Or you could do like me and just buy them all! I have no self control.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I can't see spending the difference in money for the factory target model when it comes with a hammer forged barrel, buy a standard instead and the add a good target barrel yourself.

As far as the weight, an all steel .920 barrel is heavy but not that heavy that carrying it in the woods is an ordeal. I find it amazing that today guys think it is a burden to carry an 6 pound rifle when in WWII the average male was significantly shorter and lighter yet easily manage to hump a Garand for miles.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can't see spending the difference in money for the factory target model when it comes with a hammer forged barrel, buy a standard instead and the add a good target barrel yourself.

As far as the weight, an all steel .920 barrel is heavy but not that heavy that carrying it in the woods is an ordeal. I find it amazing that today guys think it is a burden to carry an 6 pound rifle when in WWII the average male was significantly shorter and lighter yet easily manage to hump a Garand for miles.

:+1: I sometimes wonder how our current generation will survive when they actually have to walk, shoulder a pack, and get physical. Too many wimps out there can;t get off the couch or let go of the TV remote or video game power control. Of course, mk2ja is a significant exception to the modern wimpiness, along with most of the :ingo: crew.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The standard 10/22 sights stink so bad optics are practically a necessity - which negates the sight radius aspect of barrel length.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The standard 10/22 sights stink so bad optics are practically a necessity - which negates the sight radius aspect of barrel length.

Not when replaced with Tech Sights, which greater increase the radius. I took my 20" barrel 10/22 with Tech Sights out and reliably head shot dropped squirrels out to about 100 feet. I didn't feel confident to make a clean kill further, but I'm sure it would do fine. I didn't take every shot, only those I was confident with.

That said, my Marlin 39A with 4x on it makes it a little less work. I probably would have taken double the shots I did with open sights on the 10/22. If optics make for a better shot and cleaner kill for the animal, I'm all for it. A man's gotta know his limitations and a good, humane hunter doubly so.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm going out with a 10/22T this year. I shouldered one at the store and didn't find it all that unbearable. Frankly last year I went in the woods during deer season carrying a heavy steel and wood Hawken and all the accouterments that go with it and didn't find that unbearable either.

Top Bottom