• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikestripe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    seymour,in.
    Just bought a new 22/45 and took it to the range, put a trs 25 red dot on it, after I got it zeroed at 25 yards I am very happy with this gun , it is a lot more accurate than I am, any one else have one , the only thing I am not happy with is the non replaceable grips.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Have you tried to take it apart and reassemble it yet?

Besides that, they are great guns. Shoot them all day and they keep running.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Out of curiosity, why did you get the one without replaceable grip panels, if that's what you really wanted?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ummm, yes, some of us have multiple copies over the years.:D

1255352399.jpg

I have used this from Dino since 1996. I have it installed in all my Ruger MkII 22/45s.

Speed Strip Kit

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yeah, the reassembly is VERY tricky. follow the instructions to the letter (including turning it upside down when noted... it DOES make a difference)

I'll answer the "why didnt you get the ones with replaceable grips" question.

I too wish I had bought that one... but thats the more expensive MK3 and at the time I didnt think I needed to spend the extra $150 or so. Kicking myself now. (but its still one of my favorite guns to shoot)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I bought same gun last Fall at Big R for $269. If I had it to do over, I would choose differently. I sent mine to King'sHouse and had the grip mod and trigger job done. Doug Stout did a nice job and I am pleased with the end result. I bought WWI 1911 wood grips and he put them on. Looks really sharp and feels great in the hand. It was just such a hassle. He said 2-3 weeks turn around. It took 2 months. He is really bad about getting back to you and at times I thought I would never see the frame again. But I sure do like the way it shoots. I will try again tomorrow and see if I can get some pics.

Nelg

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    Elkhart
    looking forward to seeing some picturesI bought the model with the pictany rails only and installed a TRS-25. Love the gun

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just bought a new 22/45 and took it to the range, put a trs 25 red dot on it, after I got it zeroed at 25 yards I am very happy with this gun , it is a lot more accurate than I am, any one else have one , the only thing I am not happy with is the non replaceable grips.

I'm in the exact same position!

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.

I had one with a red dot sight mounted and it shot great. I ended up trading it off because it wouldn't shoot bulk .22 ammo with out FTF or FTE. As long as you shot premium ammo it worked like a dream. My .22s are strictly plinkers so shooting bulk ammo was important to me. The gun is also a bear to take down compared to my other .22s.:laugh: It took me 90 minutes to get it back together the first time.:D That would not have been a serious problem after the first re-assembly marathon though. Ruger makes a great product and if the 22/45 would eat ammo like my SR22 I would still have it. Enjoy your new Ruger!

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    I picked up one from a fellow INGOer a few weeks ago and haven't had any problems putting bulk ammo through it (including some of the Remington thunderbolts he gave to me with it). It's a 22/45 Mk III with the rails and threaded barrel (have a suppressor being ransomed at the LGS right now). Need to get a sight for the rail and I've only shot a few mags through it for test fire, but a great gun so far. Congrats to you sir and hopefully you (and I) don't end up like the guy in the tip video :D

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The reassembly isn't as bad as many make it out to be (don't let them scare you). Once you figure out what not to do, it's rather simple :)

The only issue I've seen on the 22/45's that can make things a bit tougher (and only once in a while) is when folks miss and stick it together. The solution then is to pull rearward while rattling/wobbling the mainspring housing side to side. It might take a minute or two, or just a few seconds, but that will get a jammed housing out.

Pull trigger to get hammer fwd, put in MS housing, flick the wrist with gun upside down to get hammer strut back and laying for capture by the MS housing, snap it together. I don't like the new stuff where the mag has to go in, then out. Loaded chamber indicator sucks too.

Wish I had kept my Davidson's Great 8 for putting atop the new removable grip panel frame :(

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    The 22/45 is a great pistol. I've been shooting mine for years and agree that the disassembly is a bear even though I've done it many times. The good thing is that the pistol can shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds before it needs a reall good takedown cleaning. As for the grips, I believe there is a member here who manufactures grips that fit over the factor grips by way of a little drilling and fitting screws and your supposedly done. Have not ordered the grips and kit but am thinking seriously about it as I love the pistol could use use fatter grips. Enjoy your new pistol!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    There once was a place advertising nationally that would machine the old 22/45 for removable grips...............quick search came up with Kingshouse pistols doing the mods, but no direct link.

Since the grip frame doesn't have the serial #, one should be able to purchase a new style grip frame (unless Ruger wants to be jerks about it).

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    There once was a place advertising nationally that would machine the old 22/45 for removable grips...............quick search came up with Kingshouse pistols doing the mods, but no direct link.

Since the grip frame doesn't have the serial #, one should be able to purchase a new style grip frame (unless Ruger wants to be jerks about it).
    The e-mail address is kingshouse41225@gmail.com The guys name is Doug Stout. He does nice work. You can put any 1911 grips on it you want after he is done. You will need to send the grips you want on it with the frame. I really like mine since I got it back. If you send it to him, plan on not seeing it for 2 months and really poor communication. And no... Ruger will not sell you a frame. I checked into it because I started to think Doug would never send my frame back.:xmad: But like I said, now that I have it...I am very pleased.:D

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Love mine! Scary accurate. Mine had the 1911 style wood grips, but just ordered another set from Ruger. They are for their 1911 and they said they would fit. We will see.
    Love the gun though. I had a box of old ammo, and had hollow points, some gummed up Remingtons, an assortment of left overs. I filled it up with what ever out of the box, mixed and match. Fired like a champ!!!!

Top Bottom