• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    need to put a really good 1x6(or similar) extra long eye relief scope on the new Ruger scout .308.
    think i want the Leupold. talked to one of the techs there and they have one i think i like, i am pretty sure he said it had 8.5" to 10" or so of relief, something like that.

i guess i am asking if anyone has any other suggestions for this type of scope for that 16" barrel bolt action?
    do like the Leupold though, would like to look at other opinions.
    any ideas?
    thanks.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24.
    viplw0.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    need to put a really good 1x6(or similar) extra long eye relief scope on the new Ruger scout .308.
    think i want the Leupold. talked to one of the techs there and they have one i think i like, i am pretty sure he said it had 8.5" to 10" or so of relief, something like that.

i guess i am asking if anyone has any other suggestions for this type of scope for that 16" barrel bolt action?
    do like the Leupold though, would like to look at other opinions.
    any ideas?
    thanks.

Calling A A Optics .....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I dont think the PST or the 1-6 razor will meet his eye relief needs. Unforchantally when you talk about EER scopes leupold is the best option avaible to you. I know alot of them have a extended rail section that allows for mounting of standard scopes, but dont know wich you have. If you have the option of a standard scope mount I can most defintally help.

Can you provide a link to your rifle and scope?

onetwoonetwo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    somewhere in the dark
    thanks guys!

yes, would love to put a scope on it as far forward as possible, and the ruger has that top rail that runs way down stock just for putting one out there for the purpose of the two eye open style of short and quick targeting.

i do like the idea of having one just for precise shots past 250 yards or so.
    well, with my eye sight, anything will help, that is probably the main reason.

i am pretty sure the Leupold is the way, but i still would like to know other options.
    seems like there has to be someone else with the long er, just would like to compare.
    no matter what, i will put some kind of quick release mount with a return to zero option.

thanks again for any opinions.

the rifle:Ruger® Gunsite Scout Rifle Models

the scope:FX-II Scout IER 2.5x28mm · Leupold ( eye relief of 9.3 in )

they have a 1x6 variable version of this as well, i think that's the one.

again, thanks for the opinions.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you go to the custom shop at leopold they do make a 1-4 scout and you can get the post sight also. The normal scout is 2.5 and is plenty for a quick targeting scope.

Everyone that looks into the scouts either love or hate them very little in between.

I have had great luck with the leopold scout and warne QD rings. I call the scout scope advance iron sights. With my eyes getting worse why not.

If you want something that could fill in a few different setup for the 308 I think this one might be the ticket. Leatherwood 2-7 scout. 2 power for fast shooting with both eyes open and 7 power to say punch paper or stand use.

Leatherwood 2-7x32 Long Eye Relief Scout Scope

I would post a pic of my marlin scout but photobuket seems to be messed up lately.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I have both a Leupold 2.5x and a Burris (2.75x, IIRC) IER scopes and I actually prefer the Burris by a fair margin. What I like better than either, however, is my T/C 2.5-7x pistol scope (illuminated.)

While some pistol scopes require too much eye relief, I have found a few of them to work OK (no luck with Nikon or Weaver, however) and like the ability to dial up the magnification when I choose.

Edit: My preferences being known, there will likely be a Leupold 2.5x IER in the classifieds within the next week or so.

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I put the Leatherman hi-lux LER 2-7x32 scope on my Mannlicher Scout. It was/is on sale at Midway USA for about 110.00 USD. I mounted the scope on Warne low mount rings also from Midway USA. Yes the scope is made in China, but it look and feels like a keeper.

Last edited:

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Semi-thread jack:
    Any ideas for after-market irons? The leupold is a good option. But I'm trying to make my eyes do the work and stay away from the scope option. The factory sights, while far better than stock junk Ruger ships with 10/22s, are just not made for quick field adjustments.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DSC03067.jpg

That is my take on the lever scout. Perfect setup for this rifle. Not the best for a paper puncher over 50 yards. Like I said I look at them as just advanced iron sights. In PN they have a muzzloader season where magnified scopes are not allowed. Even the 1 power scope I used was better for me than irons.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom