• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    I just wanted a little info on this rifle I just picked one up, and would like your opinions on this, I have not shot this yet, and would like to know thoughts on it. I wod like to know what a good long range scope would be for it? Has anybody had any problems with it?
    thanks ahead of time

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I slicked the bolt, stoned the trigger and re-crowned the barrel. I cut the silly spacers off and leave it at a permanent 12.25" LOP. YMMV.

I use the Leupold scout optic (German 3 post) and a Rhodesian 3 point sling for it from Andy in New Hampshire.

What are you defining as a "long range scope"? Do you want something with the towers on it already? Like a S&B short dot?

alluwant

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    On long range scope I was meaning for 300 yards plus, but I understand that probably is t long range for everybody , I would like something with the towers on it. I am just new to rifles I have a couple but wanted to set up something for over 300 yards for target practice.
    thanks for the inquiry

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If one thinks about guns like golf clubs, then I think you are picking the wrong club for the wrong shot.

If you want to shoot over 300, you better own 0-300. 0-300 is where the Scout is meant to work, a utility gun. There are far better clubs than the Ruger for that kind of shot.

You may consider a TRG, an SSG or a Rem700 or other options.

For optics, Schmidt & Bender is where it is at.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I certainly don't agree that the RGS is a <300 rifle. But with a 3 power scout scope you can own the riflemans quarter mile. 500 yards.

Heck, iron sighted rifles are capable of that. A little magnification just makes it a little easier.

OP, you have an awesome rifle that your challenge is to be as good as. You can make hits as far out as you are capable of. The rifle is not a limitation.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I don't really care for the iron sights on the gsr. I wish it came with irons like the garand has. I have burris scope on mine and have no problem with 200 yard shots. Thinking of getting a scout scope in the near future.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I certainly don't agree that the RGS is a <300 rifle. But with a 3 power scout scope you can own the riflemans quarter mile. 500 yards.

Heck, iron sighted rifles are capable of that. A little magnification just makes it a little easier.

OP, you have an awesome rifle that your challenge is to be as good as. You can make hits as far out as you are capable of. The rifle is not a limitation.
    I've got a Burris 2.75x20mm on a Yugo M48A and a Mosin M38. Granted they're not really scout rifles, but it's a scout scope. I have no problem with 300 yards+ with it.

Scout Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't really care for the iron sights on the gsr. I wish it came with irons like the garand has. I have burris scope on mine and have no problem with 200 yard shots. Thinking of getting a scout scope in the near future.

^^THIS^^ I wanted one and I love everything about the Ruger scout except the sights.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have an Ishi 2A1 Enfield Jungle Carbine (that's 7.62x51) for this function, but it's kinda heavy. I'm pretty sure it's good for .308, as well, but I stick with the NATO surplus. The barrel is excellent, not shot out. I managed to finagle a scope onto it, and haven't tested its limits. With good ammunition, it should stay on paper at 500m. Find something it likes, or learn to load your own, and you should get beyond that.

Top Bottom