• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My brother just bought a Ruger .44 carbine from a friend of ours.
    Our buddy told my brother that it fed fine until the last time he cleaned it. He said when he re-assembled it, it wouldn't feed right, so he took it apart again. Same thing, feeding issues.
    Before He brings it over, and I take it apart again, is there a trick I should be aware of?
    Thanks!

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Fair to good chance of finding a video on YouTube on this...good to great chance of finding something along the lines of step-by-step instructions on Google. Happy hunting!

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    What type of feeding malfunction is it having? Is it not feeding from the magazine? Is it feeding from the magazine but not feeding into the chamber?

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    is this a semi auto or the bolt action? if its the semi auto version be very careful as ruger no longer supports that platform. I was told if I sent mine to ruger they would examine it but would not service it and if anything were found wrong with the gun they would label it as non-repairable. I tried to locate parts for mine and found very litte still available. Numrichs had the most variety of parts still. but that was still slim pickins.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner.
    I'm out of town, so I haven't had a chance to look at it.
    Yes, its the semi auto model. All I know is that it's having feeding issues, I don't know it the shells are not coming out of the tube magazine or if they are failing to chamber.

sensor5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2012
    I guess since you mentioned a tube, you are talking about the older, original Ruger 44 carbines. The second generation of 44 carbines are rotary mag fed.

I have experience with these little carbines and own a few of them. These little carbines can be ammo sensitive. The problem I have found are some 44 cartridges are a hair longer than others. I have had good luck with PMC 240 grain.

Wolff sales a replacement spring pack. Maybe need a new mag tube spring.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Two likely issues:
    1) Re-assembly incorrect
    2) Ammo incorrect. These guns need slow-burning powders (H110, 2400) to generate proper powder at the gas port. Use fast pistol powders and regardless of velocity you can get FTF as pressure is too low at the gas port. Very similar to a Garand. I should know, I own one because it was in the family and the person who inherited it could not get it to cycle (using factory loads) and gave it to me saying it was mine if I could fix it. I "fixed" it with stout loads of H110 and 2400 and it has not missed a feed since.

Top Bottom