Ruger GP 100 .38 Special Only - Model 1751 - Possible Rare Find?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    So a friend of mine is a Ruger GP Nut. He was surfing gunbroker a couple weeks ago and came across a GP 100 3" with Adjustable Sights and factory rubber hogue grips. Yes it looks funny but this is where its a good thing... He knows his GP 100's and this was an oddity even for him, so he started to do some checking on this. He called Ruger a couple times to get info on it and was told that it was indeed a limited run for Davidson's, but they would not tell him how limited.

Days later he calls Ruger again to ask a couple more questions and the lady lets it slip "the order for Model 1751's was a Davidson's exclusive in .38 Special, 3" Barrel, Adjustable Sights and Rubber Ruger grips... in the quantity of .... let see here, yea there it is, 20 units total" I'm not 100% convinced that 20 it a solid number as I can't see a manufacture tooling up for 20 Revolvers. But it is a tough item to locate, so who knows?

Information is hard to find on these things and since he had noticed how different it was we started looking for them. Well they were not easy to find. But... we did manage to locate 2 - sets of consecutive serial number units that we've purchased.

I'm hoping this was a good purchase and that someday the investment will payoff?

This is a Model 1751 listed on gunbroker
    Ruger GP100 38 spl 3" Barrel 6 shot NIB : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

It also seems that some of the Ruger sites have picked up on this new Model and they are starting to search the net for them. Photos are from the Gunbroker listing where he spotted this odd gun.

pix292307112.jpg

pix201461299.jpg

pix613181159.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The 38 special gp100's were made for a major police department that did not want their officers to carry .357 magnums..It may have been NYC but I am not 100% certain...After 1986 or so they were also all required to be D/A only as best that I can recall...They are kind of neat and have some collector premium...I would check on the Ruger Forum...There is a guy named flatgate who will hop right in and tell you all you need to know.

Indiucky

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've seen one in a shop before. I honestly can't remember where or when, but I do remember thinking ".38Special only? Weird."

-J-

96projectz24

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Nice find...I'd love to have it. I'd say it's gotta be somewhat rare, gonna keep my eyes open for one, I'd like to grab me one!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Ruger will run a batch of 38 only GP100s from time to time, as mentioned above for certain LE or institutional contracts, even export orders with some of these finding their way to the consumer market. There was recently a large batch of 4'' full lug fixed sight 38s run as well. I saw a new production fixed sight, no lug, stainless 357 with 4'' barrel in a shop last week. When the GP100 was introduced many variations were made that were later dropped from the regular catalog and are sometimes to reappear in limited batches outside the LE contracts also.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    As mentioned, The GP100 in .38 Special was issued to many LE departments a while back. The first handgun I ever shot was a GP100 in .38 special only. It was my father's duty gun at the time. The department has since upgraded to M&P 40s. I always thought they were common, but it could have just been because I was always around them.

Ejohnson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Dublin, IN
    Neat. I like the GP100's, as I have one in .357Mag, stainless, 6" barrel with the rubber & wood grips. I even have the original box. Bought it from a retired LEO who rarely shot it. The .38's are cool, but I like the .357 since you can shoot either round in them. On the other hand, this one would be cool since its a low production number.

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    The first GP I ever shot was .38 only. Production for law enforcement makes sense, the one I shot was owned my a sheriff's deputy.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    I visited the Ruger Forum previous to posting here and found that they were already discussing this particular firearm. Either way you shake it, it's a very rare gun with .38 special only, 3" Barrel and adjustable Sights.

Confirmed that it is an Exclusive with Davidson's. They would not divulge the quantity, only that it was a very low number???

Nice find...I'd love to have it. I'd say it's gotta be somewhat rare, gonna keep my eyes open for one, I'd like to grab me one!

From what I've been told, the .357 with the same sights and Barrel is pretty rare itself. I'd like to see pictures? Maybe you'd sell it if it were a match? Would make a nice collection! One set of consecutive SN .38 Special and one set with .357 & .38 in identical guns. Or... maybe you pick up this .38 Special and have the set yourself?

Top Bottom