• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I have had this pistol for a few years, but am about fed up with this issue. Almost every time that I carry this pistol, if the mag release is even slightly bumped the mag will come out. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or is this something I need to send back to Ruger to get fixed?

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I would venture a guess that it is a holster problem. Try a better holster.

Maybe some members can chime with what holsters work for them.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I also have an LC9. My problem was different but I think might give you some ideas. A link to my original post: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/365390-ruger-lc9-feeding-issue.html

I would say check the mags over and make sure they aren't deformed or showing excessive wear at the mag lock cutout. If so, that could point you in the direction of the problem. Load only 6 rounds and try to reproduce the problem. Mine locked in, but they didn't always fully seat correctly. They still don't, but they have never ejected unexpectedly.

I'd also have to agree with the other folks suggesting a holster issue. I've never had a problem with my Galco Tuck-n-go. If I had a holster that covered the mag release, I suspect I would have the same issue you are.

-RS

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    Get an Italian made magazine. Mine came with the Italian and I bought two US spares (they were all I could find). The Italian and 1 of the US are fine, the other US will drop at the slightest touch of the magazine release. I've consigned it to storage (so much for the $35 it cost) and carry the other two exclusively.

Note: I carry it in an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. No issues with the holster at all.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Before you buy another holster you might see if a member here will loan you a known "good" holster and a known "good" mag.

Hate to spend money needlessly.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    First thing I would look at is the spring that holds the magazine release in. It could be weak, broken or just a reject. I would replace that spring (all of the springs actually) just for piece of mind. The mag release could be out of spec dimensionally enough to not hold the magazine locked into the frame fully. If the holster can possibly bear on the mag release button then it is definitely a problem.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I carry mine in a blade tech appendix holster and the mag release is not inside the holster. It is on the edge of the holster which keeps anything from pushing on the mag release. I have also carried this in the front pocket with a pocket holster with no issues. You might call Ruger and discuss the issue with them. Their customer service has been excellent!!

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Well, went to check out the new range at Gas City today, and ran both mags through the pistol. The Italian made mag had no problems at all! The USA made mag actually fell out when in the middle of the mag. Did not hit the release, it just fell out when the 2nd round blew back the slide...

Just emailed Ruger.

Last edited:

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Kudos to giving Ruger Customer service a chance. They are one of the better companies for customer service in my opinion.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Dmbowditch, I would have to agree!

I did notice one major difference when I switched the base plate on the new mag with the extended one I prefer, the American made magazine spring is at least an inch shorter than the Italian made one.

Top Bottom