• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Picit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Kokomo IN
    Has a guy out in the range yesterday shooting an LC9, kept having light strikes. The firing pin hole keeps getting plugged with brass and blocking the firing pin. This is the second time I have seen this now in the range. Anyone else seeing this problem?

TVon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Was it Sellier-Bellot ammunition? If so, yes, LC9s have a known issue with light strikes.

I've only had issues with that particular ammunition in my LC9.

Picit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Kokomo IN
    No it wasnt s&b, the light strikes are being caused by the firing pin channel getting plugged up with brass shavings.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    There is apparantely an issue with a couple different brands of ammo. I've got 500 or so rounds through my LC9 with no issues. Brands I've used: Federal, WWB, TulAmmo, Hornady.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That issue with the FP channel can be caused by ammo...

Or it can be caused by out-of-spec innards of your slide.

Shoot several types of ammo to see if it happens with other brands. Examine ALL fired casings to see how deep the primer dimple is.

MY case with this issue ended up being an out-of-spec gun, not the Fiocchi ammo that I had issues with (no other brands would perforate).

-J-

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    I have 250 rounds through my lc9 shooting a mixture of WWB and self defense loads and have had zero problems

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I just developed a huge desire to acquire one of these pistols, so I find this problem to be a bit disconcerting. What are your opinions of this pistol guys? I had considered the kel-tec pf-9 but all the problems I heard about with that pistol made me reconsider and just recently saw the Ruger. Please give me your opinions, is this a reliable carry pistol or not?

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    I personally think the lc9 is a great pistol, it very possible that the op received a lemon but rugers customer service is excellent, not to mention the trouble on the range could have been ammo related. I highly recommend this pistol for someone who wants a carry gun that is very light and compact.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    I just developed a huge desire to acquire one of these pistols, so I find this problem to be a bit disconcerting. What are your opinions of this pistol guys? I had considered the kel-tec pf-9 but all the problems I heard about with that pistol made me reconsider and just recently saw the Ruger. Please give me your opinions, is this a reliable carry pistol or not?

I really like my LC9. I got the newer model with the LaserMax laser on the trigger guard, but have since taken it off since it won't fit in my holster with it on (using a G26 holster).

The only issues I have had have been a couple FTF with TulAmmo.

Would recommend it 100%.

EddieV

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Love my LC9...800 or so rounds through it and nary a hiccup. It's my EDC, great size for CC. Extra mags were a little challenging to come by, though.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I really like my LC9. I got the newer model with the LaserMax laser on the trigger guard, but have since taken it off since it won't fit in my holster with it on (using a G26 holster).

Seeing as they just came out ealier this year id say they are all newer models.:D

Mine has been 100% so far but i have heard of this happening to some out there. Ruger has GREAT customer service if you need to send it back to them. Normally i stay away from new models from any maker for the first year of production but the allure of the LC-9 made me break my rule. Hopefully its just the ammo issue.

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My biggest concern is reliability, of course, and I don't normally carry 2 guns so it would be in use as the primary weapon while carried. I have watched a couple of videos where they do a comparison between the Kel-Tec and the Ruger and the reviewer gave the Kel-Tec the thumbs up over the Ruger when comparing the trigger. How do you all like it?

Picit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Kokomo IN
    I would say seeing two different pistols with the same problem should be cause for concern, Ill keep an eye in the range and see if there are more with the same problem.

R33D0

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    The lc9 has a long revolver like trigger pull, but after a little practice i mastered it and it shoots great, also surprisingly accurate for its size.

Picit

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Kokomo IN
    Had another firing pin channel plugged at the range yesterday, he was using aquilla fmj....houston, I think we have a problem!

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Had the same problem with mine when it was new but only with S&B ammo. I don't like to do amateur gunsmithing but in this case I took a chamfer tool from the loading bench and gave the firing pin hole a couple of light twists to just barely break the edge around the hole, (barely visible with a magnifying glass). No further problems with any ammo. Probably should have sent it back to Ruger but it worked out OK this time. Not suggesting anyone do this because it is possible to really muck up the firing pin hole.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I don't own one of these, but am a little confused what is causing the problem? Is S&B ammo not getting a proper seal and gasses are forcing crap into the firing pin channel???

scott08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The S&B ammo also has been known to have a hard primer resulting in light strikes out of LC9's.

Top Bottom