• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Looking at a wheel gun for my next carry piece. They have both at a local gun shop calling my name, close enough to the same price to be a wash. Being a Plastic semi-auto man for my years, figured I would ask here where plenty of experience is available.

So if you had to EDC one of these guns, which would you, and why?

Real world experience and good ol partisan opinions welcome!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've got the SP101 and have had it for years... Good solid revolver, has handled magnums well over the years... Although I've been looking at adding a LCR for a lighter hammerless pocket carry option. The LCR in 357 I suspect is gonna be rougher on recoil, but probably lighter and less snag on pocket carry... The SP101 handles the recoil well with full house loads as it is alittle heavy but still small enough to pack unseen... and light enough to not matter much if carried correctly. The SP101 is also available dehorned, but the one I have has a hammer and is the shorter bbl'ed one...

Not sure if that helps you at all...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    If this is a first gun, I would recommend the SP101 in .357mag because it'll give you more of an 'all purpose' type gun. It'll handle recoil better and be more fun to shoot at a range for training and fun! I've had once since 1994...and couldn't ask for a better gun...mine sports a Meprolight front night sight and Badger Custom Boot Grips! The Badger Grips have more of an 'aggressive' angle to them, which really helps to absorb felt-recoil up the arm instead of just in the wrist.

I just sold my LCR in .38+P to get a LCR in .357mag...just to be able to have that heavier 'punch' available. The LCR in .38+P, with +P rounds, was fairly stout! (My wife didn't like it!) However, I'm assuming that the felt-recoil in the LCR will be brutal at best. At 17.1 oz...and just a 2-finger grip, this will be a 'defensive' gun only...not much target / range time with this one! Verbal report from the guys who I know who have them is 5-10 rounds max at the range...it's just too much abuse for more than that! There's a good chance I'll end up carrying .38's in it! To be honest, in my opinion, a 17.1 oz. gun with .38+P's will probaby be a good balance between felt-recoil and the gun's ability to help absorb it.

My recommendation, unless you're just wanting a pocket-carry, hardly ever fired, pistol, get the SP101 this time! With the right set up, it's the same size as the LCR, except that its 8 oz. heavier. There is a variety of grips, front night sights, and holsters out there for the SP101...giving you plenty of ways to carry it, hold it, and aim it!

Hope this helps!!! Let us know which one you get!

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    IIRC various tests by the FBI show that it takes 3" of barrel length to burn all the powder in a .357. If that's correct then the 2" barrel of the LCR would waste a portion of the .357s power.

patandhisruger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    i would go sp101 too, i've seen people shoot the lcr in 357 and they don't want to shoot more than a full wheel because the guns recoil is ridiculous with full load 357s...

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I went out today and held both and looked around some more. Ended up with a SP101. I think it'll be a great addition to the stable. Now if it would stop the raining so I could go test it out.....

I think the only thing I would change is a better set of grips. Maybe the Ruger Hogue grips or a nice wood set.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    IIRC various tests by the FBI show that it takes 3" of barrel length to burn all the powder in a .357. If that's correct then the 2" barrel of the LCR would waste a portion of the .357s power.
    I'm not sure about that. If you fire a 357 in a carbine (such as a marlin 1894 lever rifle with 18" barrel) you typically gain 400fps compared to firing the same load in a revolver. That tells me that it technically requires a much longer barrel than 3" to burn all of the powder.

Besides, the added power will still make a significant difference, even in a snubbie.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I'm not sure about that. If you fire a 357 in a carbine (such as a marlin 1894 lever rifle with 18" barrel) you typically gain 400fps compared to firing the same load in a revolver. That tells me that it technically requires a much longer barrel than 3" to burn all of the powder.

Besides, the added power will still make a significant difference, even in a snubbie.

You're thinking of the dwell time - i.e. the length of time the expanding gasses are trapped in the barrel behind the bullet. A longer barrel increases fps because the expanding gas is accelerating the bullet for a longer length of time than it will in a short barrel. Once the bullet leaves the barrel and the gas is "uncorked", for lack of a better term, the pressure behind the bullet will dissipate very quickly.

But that doesn't mean it took all that time for the powder to burn up. It's likely that the powder burned up in time it took the bullet to move only 4 inches through the barrel. The expansion of the gas produced by burning the powder is what continued to accelerate the bullet as it traveled the remaining 14 inches before leaving the barrel.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Yes, a snub-nose barrel doesn't take full advantage of a .357Mag loading.

But it'll still put more ft. lbs of energy on target than .38Spec + P.

The question is: Is it worth the felt recoil. To ME, it is not. My airweight J-frame hurts plenty in .38Sp +p.

To others, the added downrange energy is worth the increased felt recoil.

As far as the OP's question: If I were going to belt-carry only, I'd go for the SP101. If I had it in my head that I'd pocket carry, I'd go for the LCR.

-J-

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    IMHO, as an owner of both LCR in 38 and SP101 in 357 (prior to the tragic boating accident of 2009, that is) - I have no desire to shoot full-house .357 loads in anything lighter than an SP101. Some people do. I don't.

The recoil of 38+p in the 13 oz LCR is enough for me and that is what gets/got carried because it is lighter(usually as a BUG). The SP101 at 25-28 oz has a poor firepower to weight ratio, imo.

If I'm going to carry that much weight, I carry something like a G19 or G30.

If you're interested in a wheel gun though, either is a fine choice.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I liked the LCR, but the top strap issues some had really turned me off. The SP101 is an awesome gun, very durable, .357 and can handle REASONABLE .357 (I have personally battered the lockwork and crane on an SP101 with a constant diet of Buffalo Bore .357, you STILL have to be careful :D ). Interestingly enough, the SP101's dimensions are roughly between the Smith and Wesson J and K frames. The Smiths are forged guns, Ruger cast....

I think the LCR.357 is a bit much. Too light to practice with what I would carry in it (125gr .357). I can't imagine how many people are just going to fire a wheel of magnums, practice with super light .38s, clean it, load it with magnums and out the door... :( Not condusive to proper training IMHO...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I went out today and held both and looked around some more. Ended up with a SP101. I think it'll be a great addition to the stable. Now if it would stop the raining so I could go test it out.....

I think the only thing I would change is a better set of grips. Maybe the Ruger Hogue grips or a nice wood set.

I have several grips for my Ruger SP101...that change depending on thh season. During the summer months, it sports a Hogue Rubber Grip...simple to install, give me a nice grip for my smaller hand-size...and fits in my shorts pockets.

During the winter months, I have a Badger Custom 'Boot' Grip for it...it's a wooden, 2-finger grip that allows it to slide very nicely in my coat pocket. Badger also makes a full-sized grip for it. Badger grips are wood and have an aggressive grip-angle...helping to reduce muzzle-flip and have a faster second / follow-up shot! They also help reduce felt recoil as the more aggressive grip angle transfers recoil up the arm instead of into muzzle flip.

I also have a Ruger SP101 in .22lr that has a Trausch Grip on it. It's a somewhat larger grip that gives me better support for target shooting!

So, three (3) alternative grips: Hogue (getgrip.com), Badger Custom, and Trausch. Try 'em out at a gun show and Good Luck!

Top Bottom